if you know this chap knock him out for me....

camokid

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sure you didn't mean that last comment the way it can be read, airguns are in no way suited if that's what you have got. The capability of a rimfire honestly depends on the user and airgun at 12 ft lb is very much more limited. If you viewed a Hare as the biggest Rimfire quarry a sub holds enough power to kill it DRT far beyond the range any could make the shot with head, neck or chest cavity placement. What we are talking here though on this thread is carry enough gun, preferably one that's legal to use :rolleyes:

Have said it before but an "airgun ticket" might allow a marginally higher limit and 15 ft lb makes your average airgun a lot easier to use on quarry at sensible ranges (munties excluded)

Very much agree with you comments on shooter recruitment though :yes:

I think you mean the part "its not what you got its the way you use it" kent ?

To put it slightly differently - theres a place for each tool (gun in this place) and I mean any type of gun should be used within the limits of its energy when it comes to live quarry but I don't believe for one minute that every shooter always does the right thing regardless of if the gun is on licence/certificate or not so I cant see how putting airguns on licence would stop this kind of thing happening ?

I think you mean the part "its not what you got its the way you use it" kent ?

To put it slightly differently - theres a place for each tool (gun in this place) and I mean any type of gun should be used within the limits of its energy when it comes to live quarry but I don't believe for one minute that every shooter always does the right thing regardless of if the gun is on licence/certificate or not so I cant see how putting airguns on licence would stop this kind of thing happening ?

Exactly the fool had an airgun and he might well make the same claim, I realise you didn't mean it that way though like I say. Rimfire can kill deer ( I have seen it in the hands of poachers) but should not be used airguns at 12 ft lb need an extremely lucky shot no matter how good a shot you might be even for point blank range roadside dispatch the energy just isn't there to guarantee a result.

You mention the .410 shotgun, that's a funny one as at very short range it will kill mostly anything even with no.6 (very favoured for roadside dispatch of deer) yet once you get past 35 yards it becomes unreliable even with rabbits and their like on a std shot charge of 14-18 gram gaps open up in the spread and limited shot mean few strikes (its well possible to fit pigeons in the gaps at 35-40 yards) . With a slug it pretty much equates to a Hornet on kinetic energy and at say 50 yards it don't even need a rifled barrel or a massive amount of skill to place that slug inside 3". So technically at least well capable of the job at hand and in many ways actually ideal on safety grounds for urban culling of deer (something we might have to consider carefully in the next decade) As maximum carriage places it in the safest of all in many respects, still at near 800 yards with a clear shot into the air at the perfect angle though

.410 - one piece of lead shot would be enough to kill a pheasant. I have never had a pheasant which was peppered with hundreds of pieces of lead. A .410 just has less of the same shot than a 12 or 20 gauge.

Edited by Gordon R

.410 - one piece of lead shot would be enough to kill a pheasant. I have never had a pheasant which was peppered with hundreds of pieces of lead. A .410 just has less of the same shot than a 12 or 20 gauge.

Quite right Gordon, it also has a lot less powder too !

Can someone tell me what is the difference between this behaviour and shooting at a fox at 30 + yards with 30 gram 6's or in one case boasting about shooting at driven pheasants with a .410. ?

In the right hands a .410 is more than capable of killing a pheasant. I have also shot foxes while out after woodcock before with trap cartridges. When I am after foxes I will use heavy loads, but if the range is sensible & the opportunity presents itself then I will kill one with a smaller load.

Can someone tell me what is the difference between this behaviour and shooting at a fox at 30 + yards with 30 gram 6's or in one case boasting about shooting at driven pheasants with a .410. ?

"Humane" is a very personal thing. Some people will use 28g of 7.5 at a fast crosser, others will throw 32g of 5 at a bird coming in to land. I'm a 32g - open choke - close range man, because I'm not a very good shot, but that doesn't mean that someone else can't shoot pheasants with a tight choked .410 .

An air rifle at deer is never going to work though, so has to be condemned.

"Humane" is a very personal thing. Some people will use 28g of 7.5 at a fast crosser, others will throw 32g of 5 at a bird coming in to land. I'm a 32g - open choke - close range man, because I'm not a very good shot, but that doesn't mean that someone else can't shoot pheasants with a tight choked .410 .

An air rifle at deer is never going to work though, so has to be condemned.

+1

Especially as he seemed to aim at the poor beast's backbone rather than heart.

I don't know if licensing is the answer as I got very little info when I got my SGC and certainly nothing on appropriate species, it could prevent a few Richard-heads from getting one I suppose.

Deer with an air rifle is blatantly illegal whilst the other two scenarios you mention are just ones to debate on how humane a shot may be.

I can't believe that an illegal act brings members of this forum to conclude that putting airguns on a ticket is the way to go.

I started shooting airguns at an early age and it was the 1000's of pellets that I shot that got me into shooting seriously. I moved onto .22 target shooting at a high level and then clay pigeon shooting. For many youngsters it is airguns that bring them into the sport. I teach scouts how to shoot and hope that they too will develop a love of shooting. Any additional form of licensing will result in fewer people taking up the sport.

There have always been stupid people and you cannot propose legislation based on the actions of a few. How many deer have been shot with bows and arrows? I would guess quite a few but I would not want to see the sport of archery decimated by the introduction of licensing.

When we shooters start to ask for additional controls then people will start listening and it gives the antis so much more ammo.

It is already illegal to kill deer with an air rifle of any sort so let the current laws deal with them.

I can't believe that an illegal act brings members of this forum to conclude that putting airguns on a ticket is the way to go.

I started shooting airguns at an early age and it was the 1000's of pellets that I shot that got me into shooting seriously. I moved onto .22 target shooting at a high level and then clay pigeon shooting. For many youngsters it is airguns that bring them into the sport. I teach scouts how to shoot and hope that they too will develop a love of shooting. Any additional form of licensing will result in fewer people taking up the sport.

There have always been stupid people and you cannot propose legislation based on the actions of a few. How many deer have been shot with bows and arrows? I would guess quite a few but I would not want to see the sport of archery decimated by the introduction of licensing.

When we shooters start to ask for additional controls then people will start listening and it gives the antis so much more ammo.

It is already illegal to kill deer with an air rifle of any sort so let the current laws deal with them.

+1 :good:

Both the above have a good chance of killing or incapacitating our quarry. Driven pheasant at 30yards with a .410are not any deader shot with a 12 ga its all about range regarding pattern density (each pellet contains the same energy 12 or 410). while far from ideal many foxes get dropped with such a 12 ga load. (However the main thing is both are fully legal). An airgun really cannot kill deer at 12 ft lb unless the shooter gets exceedingly lucky, nothing to do with skill a massive chunk of luck required. I fully except no.6 isn't really appropriate for fox as the shooter can get unlucky but there is still a big difference (not least the fact that it is specifically outlawed)

As I said earlier - I don't think a full ticket is needed, just a way of making air gun holders more accountable - i.e getting a quick 30 min training demo and singing something that gets sent to firearms to say you understand the limits. That way you are accountable. A full ticket for airgun is a bit overkill and would put most off.

As I said earlier - I don't think a full ticket is needed, just a way of making air gun holders more accountable - i.e getting a quick 30 min training demo and singing something that gets sent to firearms to say you understand the limits. That way you are accountable. A full ticket for airgun is a bit overkill and would put most off.

I totally agree although thinking about it further, these sort of idiots would or could then go and buy compound bows which can be bought on eBay despite being capable of well over 12ftlbs....I don't know how you would regulate that and like already said - you can't regulate for idiots!