leather boots (maintaining)

holly

went for a roam around in the woods this morning (foraging) and discovered my trusty old boots have started leaking so i went and bought a new pair (magnum vipers) my old ones were not leather the new ones are what's the best way to keep them waterproof ???

Theres only one treatment for new boots,; wear them till they are wringing wet ( dewy grass best) and then stomp them in the bottom of a ditch until black with fine silt. Wear home, allow to dry naturally afterwhich they get a dry, stiff brush to remove crud - and then dub.

Theres only one treatment for new boots,; wear them till they are wringing wet ( dewy grass best) and then stomp them in the bottom of a ditch until black with fine silt. Wear home, allow to dry naturally afterwhich they get a dry, stiff brush to remove crud - and then dub.

What's wrong with the old fashioned way,fill 'em with your own urine,leave over night,then dubbin.

The wife buys dubarry cream and I pinch that,no idea of cost, but judging by how annoyed she gets,I would say quite expensive!

Plenty of kiwi polish!

And not that it matters to you now bit I find the best boots out there are Altbergs. There like wearing slippers

Had mine for about 25 years now had them resoled last year, think it cost more than the boots when they were new. Went to the small factory in richmond north yorks. My mate gave me some army ones last year. I use these when metal detecting, as the spade can split the soles unless you weld a piece of bar ontop of the blade to save your boots. Like you say wearing slippers.