Brian May plans to buy and close down prestigious shooting etsate

OJW

He plans to buy "one of the top ten" shooting estates in Britain (for £7million), ban shooting and turn it into a nature reserve. The link bellow only shows the first part of the article as they want you to subscribe. If you google "Brian May to take over Chargot estate" the second link down is to Facebook where someone had copied and pasted the whole article to CNN news. I don't want to re-post here because I don't know the law on copy right infringement.

Its scary that an Estate like that on which people pay 18k a day to shoot, can't stand up to an offer of 7m from a rich celeb anti. Its a real real shame. Maybe someone like Natural England will step in or someone responsible for the local economy. If this becomes the fashionable thing for Celeb Anti's to do, all the jewels in England's shooting sports crown could be taken.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/article1411986.ece?CMP=OTH-gnws-standard-2014_05_17

I suppose the only saving grace is an estate of any size like that costs an absolute fortune to run, and even someone rich enough to buy it will struggle to pay those costs - it's 18k per day for a reason which Mr May might soon find out. Also all very well turning it into a nature reserve but once it's all overrun and full of pests he'll lose interest!

Sad and unnecessary if the shooting rights were bought out seperately - maybe we should start an RSPB type fund to buy them - I'll pay a few quid so someone can run it and feed any profit back into the shooting system. Paul McCartney was taken this route by his former wife - but one.

I hope this does not happen, Chargot is not too far from me. (although I cant afford to shoot there)... we already have issues with the LACS which purchased "sanctuaries" in the 1980's to stuff up the hunting. In our area the badger cull has certainly reduced numbers..

I grew up on a dairy farm in the 1960's, the badgers were controlled, we had almost no issue with bovine TB, now its totally nuts, so I hope the cull does some good. And to think I saw "Queen" live twice.... would not have gone if I knew he would turn into a complete anti...

It won't be as expensive to run if you took the shooting factor out of it.

Sack all the Keepers/Underkeepers and everyone else to do with the shooting side, rent out their cottages,

It doesn't cost much to let it fall into a nature reserve,

Charge people to wander round,

Be a great shame if it happens,

Maybe someone should tell Eric Clapton, he may buy it for his own shooting

:shaun:

we have nature reserves left over from opencast mines large open areas of water that often become stagnant in the summer and for the most part the rest is scrub good for training the dogs but does take a lot of land out of production I think if its called a nature reserve it should have x amount of money spent on it to keep it managed just to say its a nature reserve is not enough to create one.

........................................and when he does the reality that antis supping mung bean soup in the fair trade cafe won't be covering his running costs will soon bite home. Crack on Bri!!!

..............classic!! made me laugh out loud........

As a nature reserve it will be one helluva drain on resources unless he has some other type of commercial aspect in mind for it. LACS have a deer 'sanctuary' but, 'leaving them to it' proved not to be the utopia they believed it would be. Very messy.

Striding Edge, Saddleback or Blencathra Fell (it is called different names by different folk) is for sale by Hugh Lowther (to fund death duties I believe) up here in the Lakes. There is a petition to buy it locally to prevent it going to an overseas buyer. If it is bought by a conglomerate of tree huggers the Blencathra Fell Hound pack may cease to exist. Bit by bit by bit. Chip chip chip.That's progress.

Edited by Scully

Even if he does end up buying it, he will only end up with a 600 odd acres of freehold land for his nature reserve. The remainder of the "shoot" only consists of shooting rights over other peoples land, over which his bunny huggers will have no access.

Hardly a big deal in the great scheme of things, even if it does happen.

If it did happen, I wonder how much he would additionally have to pay to add the game rights to that piece of land when the option comes up at the end of the 2014/5 season.

Point raised on the assumption that the WMN newspaper have it right and that I read it correctly.

That appears to be correct, see Savills sale brochure...............http://farmsandestatessearch.savills.co.uk/Content/Assets/Properties/GBLHRALAR140014/LAR140014_LAR14000007.PDF

Bettws appear to have over stretched themselves in the shooting market and this does seem to be a poor business decision given the downturn in the demand for shooting of that calibre and the fact that only 600 acres are owned freehold.

I had a day there some years ago and the birds were very good indeed. There was a drive called 'Spitfire' if I remember correctly where my shots to kill ratio left something to be desired.

Edited by JDog

'The Transfers Undertakings (Protection of Employment)

Regulations will apply to any employees working on the property.

There are currently 4 full time gamekeepers and 3 farm staff.'

Not sure how that works, perhaps could be a headache, constructive dismissal to turn keepers into farm workers or something along those lines...

Good luck to him. It is his money. At the end of the day it is only a tiny piece of land. Utterly insignificant in the grand scheme of things. It is not a choice I would have made and I cannot help but wonder if he is going a bit potty as he ages but there is nothing wrong with starting a nature reserve. He may do a good job of it.

It is no loss to me if a few rich knobs are no longer able to blast away at corporate events. I wasn't invited.

Good luck to him. It is his money. At the end of the day it is only a tiny piece of land. Utterly insignificant in the grand scheme of things. It is not a choice I would have made and I cannot help but wonder if he is going a bit potty as he ages but there is nothing wrong with starting a nature reserve. He may do a good job of it.

It is no loss to me if a few rich knobs are no longer able to blast away at corporate events. I wasn't invited.

Class has nothing to do with it, not many of us could afford to go there. Nonetheless it represents some of the finest shooting this country has to offer, and is being tactically taken away in an effort to not only stop the cull but shooting itself. Its extremely naive to think that you, at some point, will not feel the knock on effects of this kind of aggressive castration of the sport. In ten years time it might not just be the super wealthy buying out estates but normal people clubbing together to just buy shooting rights in order to stop people actually shooting.

Edited by OJW