leaving work. benefit payments ? advice

big bad lindz

After 40 years+ working in various retail outlets my wife is had enough. She currently only works 22hrs a week and getting brass`d with both her line managers & supervisors, who are quite young and wont listen to the voice of experience and also how some of the public (mostly under 30`s) talk to her. There is also the running cost of the car each month, that takes about a 1/3 of her pay. So she feels that is it really worth all the hassle

She is still a couple of years short of 60 so it wont exactly be retirement but she wants to spend more time relaxing and enjoying our garden walking the dogs etc.

So can the PW massive advise me / her if she can claim any benefits ?

Having had a look at some of the advice web sites a lot benefit advice appears to cover women with children and child benefits etc. She is thinking of going along to the job centre to make enquiries next week but I thought I would ask PW members.

We don't think that having 3 Golden Retrievers will class as a child benefit.

I know there has been lots of comments recently about the benefit scammers but as I said she has worked all her adult life except a short maternity break back in the 70`s and wants to find out if she is entitled to anything.

Cheers,

BBL

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After 40 years+ working in various retail outlets my wife is had enough. She currently only works 22hrs a week and getting brass`d with both her line managers & supervisors, who are quite young and wont listen to the voice of experience and also how some of the public (mostly under 30`s) talk to her. There is also the running cost of the car each month, that takes about a 1/3 of her pay. So she feels that is it really worth all the hassle

She is still a couple of years short of 60 so it wont exactly be retirement but she wants to spend more time relaxing and enjoying our garden walking the dogs etc.

So can the PW massive advise me / her if she can claim any benefits ?

Having had a look at some of the advice web sites a lot benefit advice appears to cover women with children and child benefits etc. She is thinking of going along to the job centre to make enquiries next week but I thought I would ask PW members.

We don't think that having 3 Golden Retrievers will class as a child benefit.

I know there has been lots of comments recently about the benefit scammers but as I said she has worked all her adult life except a short maternity break back in the 70`s and wants to find out if she is entitled to anything.

Cheers,

BBL

Tell me about it...some of the tales of verbal abuse that my Wife has to put up with you wouldn't believe...

Everyone who goes into a shop these days is an expert on the sale of goods act and a disciple of Ester Rancid or Dominic Littlewood.

I'm afraid many of the modern generation (30 something's) have no manners, patience or courtesy whatsoever.

Without wanting to sound harsh, I really hope there are no such benefits available for people who don't like their jobs and want to quit. If I can retire before I'm 70 I will be amazed and even then my state pension will be proportionally much smaller than it is now, and that is after paying proportionally more tax too.

It isn't a nice situation to be in a job you don't like and be treated like dirt by the people around you, but it is a situation many people are in.

all i can say is this , i am 60 this year ,worked & paid my dues every week untill june 2012 ,had a heart bypass which didnt go to plan . i got statuatory sick pay off the building company i worked for for 26 weeks then went on esa , **** up after **** up the benifits office made of it , anyhow having been deemed unfit for work by ATOS i was put on sick for 2 years , in april i got a letter stateing they want £2589.96p back as my wife earns £150 which they claim is more than a married couple needs to survive on !!!!!! even though we have been advised by job centre plus staff 3 times she can earn up to £150 a week as long as she dont work more than 20hrs ,not 1 of them have a bloody clue about their job dont yrust a bloody thing they tell you :/

Thunderbird is the man to talk to. :yes: perhaps ?

Is that because I live on benefits and do a lot of cash-in-hand work in the Hartlepool area by any chance?

On a serious note, benefits are not my field of expertise. Doesn't sound like she has a genuine 'legal' Grievance though (with a capital G).

EDIT: As there is no retirement age any more, 'early retirement' is what you make it. Maybe with the cost of fuel savings she might not be much worse off especially if she could find some casual work locally. I wouldn't bother with the job centre. If she goes in and basically says she is thinking about resigning from her job and wonders what benefits she can get, she will probably be given short shrift.

Edited by Thunderbird

there will be a sanction put in place if she leaves the job voluntarily best bet would be to get sacked and then make a claim, will lose first 3 days of the claim and if you are working will only be able to claim contribution based jobseekers which will be based on the national insurance contributions over the last 3 years I think, although she might be able to claim pension credits as getting close to retirement age.

might not be completely right but it's what I remember from working for the jobcentre for nearly 6 years....although I use the term 'working' very very lightly.

Edited by sidawson

I'm currently on over 50 hours for well below minimum wage (self employed)

I too would prefer not to work and spend my time playing in the garden with my dog.

Are there any benefits that i could claim to allow me to do this? (free fuel for my car so I can go to the beach now and then would be nice too if possible)

Without wanting to sound harsh, I really hope there are no such benefits available for people who don't like their jobs and want to quit. If I can retire before I'm 70 I will be amazed and even then my state pension will be proportionally much smaller than it is now, and that is after paying proportionally more tax too.

It isn't a nice situation to be in a job you don't like and be treated like dirt by the people around you, but it is a situation many people are in.

I was about write exactly that...benefits because you dont like your job? Are you joking? Change jobs or live off less but why expect to be paid by my taxes to not work because you don't like it...

BBL

My missus is in a similar situation, but she gave up work to care for her mother. When MIL died, Mrs T enquired about the various options and in short she could apply for job-seekers and there's a cap on how long it can be paid. Then there's the rigmarole of having to prove you are looking for a job - and after all that it's only paid for a limited period.

So in short, we've said 'stuff it', she's paid enough in contributions all these years and never claimed a single penny in benefits, so she's now a woman of leisure and we'll live off my earnings until her pension kicks in.

It's frustrating I know, but unless you can demonstrate you need benefits they won't stump up. I've emphasised the demonstrate bit because it's all about playing the system - or so it appears.

Rest assured, if I could afford to give up work tomorrow I would - there's never enough shootin' time is there..?!

Its worse if you get fired I think.

nah it's not I got fired from the jobcentre, signed on the very next day ( albeit it having to explain to the advisor how to do his job ha)

sanctions only tend to be put on if you left voluntarily

sad as it may seem it's a case of playing the system, is she so stressed that it's become unbearable?

she needs to play on that if she's going to get anywhere with the current benefits system, maybe get signed off sick if it's really getting to her. I'd advise that she bend the ear of a sympathetic doctor if possible.

sad as it may seem it's a case of playing the system, is she so stressed that it's become unbearable?

she needs to play on that if she's going to get anywhere with the current benefits system, maybe get signed off sick if it's really getting to her. I'd advise that she bend the ear of a sympathetic doctor if possible.

Makes you proud to be English / British doesnt it :no:

My mums 60 and has 7 years to go and my dad is 62 with 4 years to go so sorry it's a stupid question to ask . They're worn out and it's finishing them off

I've been off work after snapping my leg at work for 16 weeks so far with no sick pay as my girlfriend works over 24hrs a week :( and I'm self employed .

What the hell .