Police Helicopter

OJW

I often see quite a lot of helicopters when I'm out in the field, but always very high or fairly distantly. On TV you always see them using heat sensors and clever cameras ect so I assume they know I'm there.

Anyway, today this police helicopter came right across me, it was tree hight - very very low and around 7 - 10 meters in front of my hide. Really made me jump.

I don't know if they were trying to check me out or if it was a coincidence but it scared away the only pigeon I had seen all day (craftily attracted with coffee fumes from the flask I'd just opened - works much better than decoys).

It felt like they had seen me and decided to swoop in to give me a fright if I'm honest. I realise how paranoid that sounds, and that they wouldn't need to get in close to see me and that they are probably advised to stay very far away from anyone they think might have a gun. But it made a bee line for the hide, off the flight lines they normally take, as if it was going to land right on top of my decoys. I thought maybe they decided to just take the mic or something.

No cars arrived and they didn't say anything through a speaker, just flew off. Could hear them in the area for most of the afternoon.

I had permission to shoot there and the game keeper and owner knew I was there, its a working farm and shooting estate I wouldn't have thought the police would bat an eyelid even if someone did ring them up to complain they had seen someone with a shotgun. Keeper never mentioned anyone had rung him to have me checked out or anything when I described the helicopters behaviour.

Has anyone else ever had police helicopters do this to them?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep had the helicopter, armed response the lot even had to give a clueless plod (who been looking for two hours even though he could hear shot after shot) a lift back to his car,all thanks to a trespassing dog walker who reported men with guns frightening the birds?

AND I had the local copter follow me (in my truck)about 4 miles one night (actually early hours, followed me and stayed above me as I went into my house, told the wife to put the kettle on(neighbors were all awake with the racket)as I was anticipating plod turning up ! but they never did?

KW

not a police jelly copter but once when we were out hare shooting near Blythburgh on a cold windy day.....the wind was blowing a houly into our faces and a Apache gunship came over us from behind................i tell you now i thought i was going to die...they are an evil looking machine and i nearly deposited my breakfast in my pants it was so low..

couple of the boys hit the dirt.........i bet those RAF boys laughed their tits off all the way home......

not a police jelly copter but once when we were out hare shooting near Blythburgh on a cold windy day.....the wind was blowing a houly into our faces and a Apache gunship came over us from behind................i tell you now i thought i was going to die...they are an evil looking machine and i nearly deposited my breakfast in my pants it was so low..

couple of the boys hit the dirt.........i bet those RAF boys laughed their tits off all the way home......

I can agree with that, had a similar experience on Salisbury plain with one, they certainly have one hell of a presence.

Apache's belong to the army mate!

I live close to the local airport in a rural situation. WhenI take the dogs out last thing at night I have been known to relieve myself as well. I was in full flow when the police helicopter took off flying straight towards me. It stopped about 50 yds away and put on the searchlight, lighting up the garden to 5 yds in front of me. Needless to say I had a rather wet leg. I've often wondered if they picked me up on their heat camera and decided to give me a fright.

I had the Dyfed Powys police helicopter out hovering over where I had been lying waiting for rabbits to appear about 15 years ago. A police car came to the house an hour or so later saying someone had reported seeing a dead body in a field. I was able to inform the policeman then and there that I was not dead. Luckily they didn't ask to see my FAC, which I definitely didn't have when I was 14!

Shouldn't be that low unless landing, he may have been doing a practice engine failure into the field if it was large, or training. They don't need to go low to see you, and with nothing On Loud speaker, bit silly of it was for 'fun' wires etc can catch even the best pilots out so flying low into unknown fields always increases the risk.

Yep had the helicopter, armed response the lot even had to give a clueless plod (who been looking for two hours even though he could hear shot after shot) a lift back to his car,all thanks to a trespassing dog walker who reported men with guns frightening the birds?

Obviously didn't hit many that day then!

We shoot a few miles from the army air corp. training base in Hampshire. Around the time prince Harry was doing his apache training. There were a few of us out on February 1st trying to chase the few remaing pheasants we had around. When this apache came over us turned around and followed us all the way along a very long maize strip. Amazing bit of kit! I was hoping he was going to land a give us a little trip in it.

Had a few chinook buzzing around most weekdays when I'm up there. They get the pigeons moving on quiet days when they are sat in the trees. They certainly wake you up when they brush the tops of the trees up the wood.

digressing slightly.......several years ago when the Americans were based at Lakenheath with their A10 tank busters...they used to patrol the approaches for the jets bringing their troops back......

anyway a couple of plods were on duty on the road to Elverden doing speed trap and they got board and pointed the radar gun at one of the A10,s flying low near them...so they stuck the radar gun in the air to see how fast it was going..!!!

welll.....the A10 flipped a right standing on one wing, then stood on its left wing..dropped 3 flares out then dived down to the plods in the wood, the gattling gun was turning and ready to fire...then pulled up at the last second...

when the boys got back to Wymondham HQ they were ushered into the supers office where there was an American airforce officer...who very "testily" told them that they were within 1 second of been blown away as the onboard systems identified the radar gun as a "lock on"

lucky boys eh!

Had a similar experience with one hovering 100 odd yards away from my hide once :| , after a few minutes they realised they weren't going to get to see a pair of floaters being dispatched with all the noise and buzzed off.

Edited by Hamster

Was out 1 night and got stopped, plod dint have a clue, asked to see guns and ammo. Then all he'll broke loose, aparrantly I was in possession of armor piecing bullets! The red tip on the bullet was armor piecing explosive stuff apparently! Wasn't until an officer that knows abit turned up things carmed down and we were free to go on our way!

Was out 1 night and got stopped, plod dint have a clue, asked to see guns and ammo. Then all he'll broke loose, aparrantly I was in possession of armor piecing bullets! The red tip on the bullet was armor piecing explosive stuff apparently! Wasn't until an officer that knows abit turned up things carmed down and we were free to go on our way!

Haha too much COD for someone I reckon. Lucky they weren't FMJ's or else they would do more damage (According to COD!).

We got buzzed a few years ago on the river exe getting ready for an evening duck flight.

Seemed like someone didn't want us shooting out there. Could hear a chopper and it emerged over the horizon with searchlights glaring. There were three of us with 3 dogs stood perfectly still and they didn't spot us till one of our party shined a led torch the them which was the evenings flight over!

We had to walk back to shore and there were crews of search and rescue scouring the banks.

Great to see such a response from the emergency services, even if it was called in by an anti (so we thought), but I'm glad we weren't actually in trouble without a torch as I don't think they'd have found us very quickly.

Always pack a torch!

digressing slightly.......several years ago when the Americans were based at Lakenheath with their A10 tank busters...they used to patrol the approaches for the jets bringing their troops back......

anyway a couple of plods were on duty on the road to Elverden doing speed trap and they got board and pointed the radar gun at one of the A10,s flying low near them...so they stuck the radar gun in the air to see how fast it was going..!!!

welll.....the A10 flipped a right standing on one wing, then stood on its left wing..dropped 3 flares out then dived down to the plods in the wood, the gattling gun was turning and ready to fire...then pulled up at the last second...

when the boys got back to Wymondham HQ they were ushered into the supers office where there was an American airforce officer...who very "testily" told them that they were within 1 second of been blown away as the onboard systems identified the radar gun as a "lock on"

lucky boys eh!

Urban legend sorry!

Mike.

Claim: A hand-held police radar unit successfully tracked a military aircraft on maneuvers, nearly causing the aircraft to fire a missile in response.

content-divider.gifred.gifFALSE

Read more at http://www.snopes.com/horrors/techno/radar.asp#JAa6kW52My218jZX.99