vibram soles

ROBLATCH

what are your views and the difference that vibram soles make on your footwear ? ive noticed the prices conmparing can be significantly more

Vibram soles are OK on dry ground, but they are lethal on wet rock - there is no grip at all. :no:

Vibram soles are OK on dry ground, but they are lethal on wet rock - there is no grip at all. :no:

I find that happens with mine. I have a pair of boots from Mountain warehouse that are mainly used for my window cleaning work. They can get really slippery and I am only walking around houses.

Sigh. Geek Alert!

'Vibram soles' is a bit misleading. There are actually several different soles made by Vibram. The type of footwear usually determines which type of sole they have had from Vibram. The softer soles, that are better for comfort wearing (ordinary shoes or some approach shoes) and tend not to be quite so long lasting do get worn pretty quickly if they're used a lot. Their various combinations for walking boots/mountain boots I've always found are brilliant. Hard wearing and very grippy. I had a pair of Asolo 3 season boots that were non Vibram. I killed them in 6 months - 1 month of which was in Namibia on abrasive rock, but even so...

Their replacements were some Mammuts with Vibrams. 5 years on and the difference speaks for itself. Still going strong up here in Sutherland! Quinag and Suilvan this week...

I'd never by anything else for either mountain or hill walking use.
post-26888-0-12789300-1404753321_thumb.jpg

My Harkila's have them - I think they are vibram fire and ice soles?

Absolutely brilliant in all conditions is my experience of them.

I think my Salomans use them as well and again brilliant all round.

Like others have said there are several versions / qualities as you see vibram soles on footwear ranging from £20 to £200 plus.

ATB

I always look for vibram soles on the footwear that I buy I use them mainly for walking the dog, soles on the Hitech boots are usually good for about 1000 miles or about six months in my case. Bought a pair of Grisport vibram soled boots, soles were shot in six weeks so I would assume that different manufactures specify their own compound formula!

Learn something new every day. I had always understood that ,'vibram' was the pattern of the sole descended from WW2 'commando' boots pattern, that pattern itself a copy of the old nailed climbing boots used by rock climbers and mountaineers previous to the development of the commando sole pattern.

Blackpowder

There are pros and cons.

Pros: comfort, shock absorption, grip in dry conditions ,

Cons: some vibram soles are made of a compound that will not grip on some wet hard surfaces - epic design fail.

They can wear through quite quickly

Once rhe soles are US you have to bin the boots.

Comfort is my priority as i can be wesring them for very long periods so they get my vote.

Once rhe soles are US you have to bin the boots.

They can be re soled, there's a place up Chesterfield that offer a very good services. I have seen the work done on a pair mof Brasher s

very good finish, maybe there's a place near you.

Great in dry or soft ground/mud, if walking in hard wet ground or wet concrete roller baldes would be the safest option.If its ice then stay indoors or expect a few hrs in a&e.

heard quite a lot of the same,, i wonder why some military extreme cold weather boots have vibrams ? a bit odd to say the least

The harder wearing soles tend to have more carbon in the rubber compound, so good for wear resistance, but rubbish on wet rocks/hard surfaces.

Soles with a lot of natural rubber offer the best grip during cold weather as they stay more pliable, but they wear a lot faster.

Soles with a lot of silica offer good grip in the wet and also give better wear resistance too, but tend to be more expensive and slightly less effective in the cold as it causes the sole to harden.

Very similar to car tyres really.

The problem I have always had is that very often you don't know what the make up of the sole is, especially with Vibram as the marketing is all about the brand.

I have a pair of waterproof gore-tex lined boots with Vibram soles that are treacherous in the wet so I cant wear them and another pair of shoes with Vibram soles but with no waterproof lining that have awesome grip in the wet, but my feet get soaking. If I could swap the soles it would be a perfect combination !!!

I was bought a pair of cheap leather pull on boots as a present it took twelve months to wear the sole down on my pigeon exploits. I eventually solved the waterproof problem with Thompsons Waterseal . Took them to my local shoe repairer and asked if he could fit a Vibram sole. He said he could fit a copy Vibram which is softer rubber which he did for £ 25 . They are great shooting boots now and the grip is great but they do clog with sticky mud and you end up like Gary Glitter, only the shoe bit.