Teachers strike

neillfrbs

anybody got any symphony for the teachers strike.

I for one have none .

12 weeks paid holiday

30 - 40 presents when the kids break up.

pension +benefits

my job construction ,same money I was on 12 years ago

no holiday pay

and competing with eastern Europeans for work.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a family full of teachers, but I also feel no sympathy.

Lots of parents having to take a day off a couple of weeks ahead of the 6 week holidays is not on.

I also didn't notice the typically leftist public sector types start striking when Gordon brown effectively ended final salary pension schemes in 1999. Mainly because it hit private sector employees.

No sympathy whatsoever. (Or symphony). Outlaw trade Union membership for all public sector employment. In fact ban trade Unions altogether. We're not living in the 1920's, we have things called employment laws. Let the Labour party find its funding in the real world without embezzling taxpayers.

Bring the Army in to babysit for a few weeks-inform the "poor" teachers that they will be fined £60 a day (the same as we are if our child takes time off without permission) and that their salary will be reduced by 5% per week that they are away-lets see how dedicated they are-the problem with teachers is that they have never left school and faced reality.

My lad has just finished school and I have to say the level of education received was pretty poor. This was coming from one of the better schools in the Cotswolds, god knows what some of them would be like.

One of the most staggering things was after the last Summer break my lad had a "Teachers Training Day" in the second week back. *** could they not have done it in their own time during their 6 weeks off.

Fine them I say. After all as the saying goes "Those can't can't do"

Edited by Freakmode

anybody got any symphony for the teachers strike.

I for one have none .

12 weeks paid holiday

30 - 40 presents when the kids break up.

pension +benefits

my job construction ,same money I was on 12 years ago

no holiday pay

and competing with eastern Europeans for work.

80 hour-plus weeks during term time.

12 weeks 'holiday', well over half of which is spent working - just because you aren't in front of a class doesn't mean you're not working.

Pension - getting eroded just like all the other public sector, as they are an easy target.

Benefits? What benefits?

Hundred quids-worth of soap and chocolate once a year? (plus chocolatey soap and soapy chocolate) - great incentive that one...

Constant interference from politicians in how you do your job - from people who almost invariably are not qualified to have an opinion (cough... Gove...cough...).

Regular changes in guidelines and new "initiatives" - which seem to go in cycles. What is currently in vogue is pretty much the same as was being taught 30-odd years ago.

All driven by seagull politicians eager to leave their mark (fly in, flap around, **** over everything, fly away again).

Governmental obsession with measuring everything - "let's test kids who are too young to understand what a test is for, twice a term, to show how our wonderful new initiative is working" (see above).

Yes, and your current cohort of sow's ears don't make sufficiently convincing silk purses, you'll be monitored even more closely and "put into special measures" until they do.

Oh, and you get to put up with people telling you that you work a 6-hour day and get 12 weeks off a year.

Yes, I come from a family of teachers, and a lot of my friends are teachers, so I have been observing the profession closely for pretty much all my life - and there is no way on Earth I could do that for a living.

And - breathe....

I have mixed feelings about this. When teachers joined the profession, they joined under certain conditions. Years down the road, successive Governments are re-writing history and changing the terms. It is not a job I could do - I just don't have the patience.

As with most people, I would settle for the same pay rises that the pigs in the trough MPs vote for themselves. Total hypocrites.

13 weeks holiday, a decent whack, a job it's almost impossible to get sacked from provided you keep your hands to yourself and a career that is safe and predictable.

Whilst Gove wants to implement some changes, those changes are common place in the wider world and provide the ability to "measure". Teachers hate being measured because it's weeds out the rubbish.

Whilst I can fondly remember a handful of teachers who were up there with Mr. Chips, I can think of two handfuls who were dreadful. People who should just never have been teachers.

No sympathy.

80 hour-plus weeks during term time.

12 weeks 'holiday', well over half of which is spent working - just because you aren't in front of a class doesn't mean you're not working.

Pension - getting eroded just like all the other public sector, as they are an easy target.

Benefits? What benefits?

Hundred quids-worth of soap and chocolate once a year? (plus chocolatey soap and soapy chocolate) - great incentive that one...

Constant interference from politicians in how you do your job - from people who almost invariably are not qualified to have an opinion (cough... Gove...cough...).

Regular changes in guidelines and new "initiatives" - which seem to go in cycles. What is currently in vogue is pretty much the same as was being taught 30-odd years ago.

All driven by seagull politicians eager to leave their mark (fly in, flap around, **** over everything, fly away again).

Governmental obsession with measuring everything - "let's test kids who are too young to understand what a test is for, twice a term, to show how our wonderful new initiative is working" (see above).

Yes, and your current cohort of sow's ears don't make sufficiently convincing silk purses, you'll be monitored even more closely and "put into special measures" until they do.

Oh, and you get to put up with people telling you that you work a 6-hour day and get 12 weeks off a year.

Yes, I come from a family of teachers, and a lot of my friends are teachers, so I have been observing the profession closely for pretty much all my life - and there is no way on Earth I could do that for a living.

And - breathe....

Well said that man and lets not forget the abuse and violence aimed at so e of the teachers

I believe without doubt that the teaching profession is quite tough for some (those that believe in the calling) However there are some out there that end up teaching because they don't like or can't get on with doing a different job. The saying ' if you can't get a job in industry become a teacher, if you can't teach become a professor' is very good IMO.

All that said this thread is about the strike. No it should not take place, all it will do is alienate joe public. It is not only the public sector employees that had final salary pensions eroded away or salaries frozen. It has been happening for years.

The bottom line is there is only so much in any pot, be it private company or public sector. That pot has to cover everything (including profit for private sector) to maintain final salary pensions in the current economic climate is suicide for any organisation public or private. The cost is just too great, so just accept it has to go. Doesn't mean they still won't have a reasonable pension plan for their retirement.

Well said that man and lets not forget the abuse and violence aimed at so e of the teachers

My mum got out of teaching she was working over 80 hours a week and when working with kids one to one they would threaten that if she made them do work they would go home and tell their mum she had hit them, if this happens you are instantly suspended without pay until the end of an enquiry which can take over six months. This happened to at least two teachers during my time at school and this was a good school in a good area.

I have no sympathy, symphony or syphillis for the teachers and I concur with all the negative posts thus far.

One thing I would say though is that a lass I was seeing last year was an assistant head and during term time, especially exams she was flat out. She was also flat out tuesday and friday nights as these were the only times she could fit me into her diary. She earnt her crust during that period but she really had nothing to moan about. 50k pa, rakes of holiday and the option of bagging a few grand marking during the holidays. She was in clover!!!

Huge breasts.

She was also flat out tuesday and friday nights as these were the only times she could fit me into her diary. She earnt her crust during that period but she really had nothing to moan about.

Oh dear! Hopefully your performance has improved somewhat since then?

Im a teacher, on strike today as I'm a member of the NUT.

To all the keyboard warriors -

1 week to go then 6 weeks off, paid by you daft tax payers, only work 5 hours a day, finish mid afternoon, mint pension, loads of benefits.

YEAH BABY, LOL

(If only it were that simple.)

Im a teacher, on strike today as I'm a member of the NUT.

To all the keyboard warriors -

1 week to go then 6 weeks off, paid by you daft tax payers, only work 5 hours a day, finish mid afternoon, mint pension, loads of benefits.

YEAH BABY, LOL

(If only it were that simple.)

I've been telling you this for years ;)

:shaun:

13 weeks holiday, a decent whack, a job it's almost impossible to get sacked from provided you keep your hands to yourself and a career that is safe and predictable.

Whilst Gove wants to implement some changes, those changes are common place in the wider world and provide the ability to "measure". Teachers hate being measured because it's weeds out the rubbish.

Whilst I can fondly remember a handful of teachers who were up there with Mr. Chips, I can think of two handfuls who were dreadful. People who should just never have been teachers.

No sympathy.

The job is not safe tho if people don't have enought babies each year teachers are made redundant and this is a fact my mum is a teacher and her school is making some Redundant this year because their are not Enough children to fill the classrooms yes they get good holidays and I don't like she goers lots and my little sister is a pupil

At the same school my mum works at there often my mums working into the night doing marking extra hell

For some children and planning lessons on the weekends.

John

I have sympathy. My mother's is a career primary school teacher, 30 plus years, she used to love her job and what she trained to do which was Teaching. She's at a highlevel now and as a result sometimes gets home from work at 11 pm, half nine, half eight but then continues to work even when at home. Teachers these days don't last two years in the profession due to the amount of stress they are put Under, it's making my mother ill I hate her job and she has now gone from it being her only passion to saying I hate it.

It's ridiculous, and I have to say people who don't give sympathy don't come from a teaching back ground because if you see how bad teaching has become and how much it's basically damaged my mum who's only passion was teaching young kids you wouldn't say that.

Yes they get 6 weeks but let's face it it's only about 2-3, they are then expected to work and plan and set up class rooms for the next three weeks for the next year.

My auntie is a deputy head at the same school my mother is at, same passion as my mum but now she wants to take early retirement because of the stresses of the now a days education system.

As you can imagine, I hate to see my mum stressed out everyday she literally doesn't stop or switch off as I've said it's making her ill I'm only 19 and i don't want my mum to become very ill through stress because of her stupid job and what it's become.

I don't really have a mum anymore as it was because of how her job has changed over the years and the amount put on her through school.

I don't want an argument I'm just saying my experience and I can't wait for my mum to have her 2-3 weeks off this year because she bloody well deserves them before she spends another 3 weeks of her time back in school mode before term even starts. :/

Dave.

I have sympathy. My mother's is a career primary school teacher, 30 plus years, she used to love her job and what she trained to do which was Teaching. She's at a highlevel now and as a result sometimes gets home from work at 11 pm, half nine, half eight but then continues to work even when at home. Teachers these days don't last two years in the profession due to the amount of stress they are put Under, it's making my mother ill I hate her job and she has now gone from it being her only passion to saying I hate it.

It's ridiculous, and I have to say people who don't give sympathy don't come from a teaching back ground because if you see how bad teaching has become and how much it's basically damaged my mum who's only passion was teaching young kids you wouldn't say that.

Yes they get 6 weeks but let's face it it's only about 2-3, they are then expected to work and plan and set up class rooms for the next three weeks for the next year.

My auntie is a deputy head at the same school my mother is at, same passion as my mum but now she wants to take early retirement because of the stresses of the now a days education system.

As you can imagine, I hate to see my mum stressed out everyday she literally doesn't stop or switch off as I've said it's making her ill I'm only 19 and i don't want my mum to become very ill through stress because of her stupid job and what it's become.

I don't really have a mum anymore as it was because of how her job has changed over the years and the amount put on her through school.

I don't want an argument I'm just saying my experience and I can't wait for my mum to have her 2-3 weeks off this year because she bloody well deserves them before she spends another 3 weeks of her time back in school mode before term even starts. :/

Dave.

NOT forgetting the piles and piles of child protection paperwork to do,my mrs works in a pre-school,she leaves the house at 6.30am gets home at 5.30pm,then starts her folders/paperwork,finnishes about 9pm,the job of a pre-school teacher doesnt stop when you get home,obtw for less than £17,000 a year!!!!!

Teachers are well paid , have good working hours including holidays.

(See below)

There pensions are being messed about, not as much as in the fireservice!

They have always been left wing and strong union bias.

Do I support this strike NO.

Do I support the right to strike YES.

John.