Bad smell

spannermonkeymark

Hi all we came home from holiday yesterday to a bad smell in the house I have searched everywhere and can't find where it is coming from once you have been in a while you don't notice it but if you go out and come back in you can smell it again .

Had anyone got any idea how to find where it is coming from

Thanks

What does it smell like?

Could be a dead mouse, that could be anywhere in the building from in the room to under the floorboards to in the cavity. If it is a mouse the smell goes after a while when it decomposes.

You can narrow down the search by opening a window in each room then close them one at a time, leaving enough time for you to smell the smell (10 minutes). Do this in every room and you will get a better idea of where the smell is coming from.

Check your chimney for trapped burglars as in the link :whistling:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2318493/Dead-body-serial-burglar-CHIMNEY-solicitors-firm-city-centre.html

Check for damp clothes left in a pile orin washer, fishing/shooting kit, give all the sinks a good dose of bleach along with bath, shower tray and bogs, leave the windows open for a few hours and try and narrow it to a room, but dead rodent or similar under the floor in attic could be the cause!

Also if in a flat/terrace/semi check neighbours are ok esp if elderly........

Edited by HDAV

Make sure your cool box is empty. Son came back from his holiday, put his stuff back in his old bedroom, and week and a half later, it started. thought it was a dead mouse under the floor to start with, it got worse and worse.

I thought it must be a Rat taking a long time to decompose. Eventually narrowed it down to his old room. He uses it as as storeroom, stacked full of boxes and sports kit. Traced it to under the bed and pulled out the cool box, opened the lid, How I didn't pebbledash the wall I don't know. Bacon,Cheese, Milk,Yogurt and Mackerel fillets all in a Kind of liquid. <_<<_<<_<<_< To say I was a trifle miffed that he hadn't checked it was empty. would be a slight understatement. Kids you got to love them, but he is 33 :no::no:

I once left a dead woodpigeon in the boot of my Mini......and swore it was the sweaty feet of the lad I gave a lift to each morning.

done that one.the smell thing happned to.a.mate.of mine after a holiday turned out to be the washer.door left shut for two weeks and the door seal went fusty ended up changing the seal