Sleep paralysis

SuperGoose75

I have just the other evening become aware of this strange phenomenon. I had this a few nights ago and brought it up in Conversation when my Nephew and his Girl where over on a visit. It started off talking about Ghostly things and hauntings' when I mentioned my Nightmare. Jade' his Girfriend said OMG' thats sleep paralysis and is associated with demons. She said google it and See as she had a friend who has had it. So google it i did and couldnt believe all the stuff on the web about it.

The thing is I have had this dream/nightmare many times. I had it often years ago when still at Home with my parents and i slept in my own room. It was always someone on Top of me holding my throat and despite all my efforts at trying to swing at the unseen being 'I was powerless to do anything or shout out. i would always remember it in the morning when I woke up' but just but it down to a bad dream. I used to Work ridiculous hours in a very physical demanding job' and it could have been down to stress.

I also used to get a dream that someone was after me' but When I tried to run away my legs would not move. Another thing that used to happen while working in what we used to joke as being in a "chain gang " was I would after going to bed upstairs in my Boxers' awake in the middle of the night laying on the Sofa in the living room downstairs completely Naked' Not remembering anything about doing it. i mentioned this at work to the other lads and one of them informed me that this was common enough and was down to lack of sleep and over working and he himself used to try and jump into bed with his sisters in the middle of the night not knowing what he was doing. "Well that was his version/excuse anyway" lol.

To finish' I will add that I have always been generally happy in life and am generally happy at present. i remember as a small lad' I had a non blood uncle' that used to say that the house he was living in was haunted' as Ghosts used to come into his room at night and sit on top of him and slap his face. After finding out about this sleep paralaysis' I now can link this to his ghosts.

One Website states that as low as 6% suffer this phenomenon while another says most people will experience it at least once in their lifetime.

So has anyone on PW had this and whats their take on it. Stress' or is it demons..Would be interesting to here any thoughts on this Thanks in advance for any imput.

Just last year I started this thread about the very same

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/264236-sleep-paralysis/?hl=%2Bsleep+%2Bparalysis

Mine is definitely stress related as it seems to go in spells which are hand in hand with tough times in life - though I do get it very randomly on occasion

The worst part for me is that it happens just as I'm about to fall asleep, I then become paralysed, short of breath and occasionally with the sensation someone is in the room

It last for seconds but feels like an age until I can escape it. Most common method of trying to stop it once started is trying to focus on wiggling fingers/toes as this can snap you out of it again. Doctors admit they don't know too much about it and there is no cure.

Edited by LondonLuke

I get the feeling of falling through the air just before I'm about fall to sleep. The other one is a dream I've had since I was a kid, its a dream where I'm trying to get away from someone/something and I'm in a scrapyard and I'm trying to run away as the scrap is rising up like a massive wave catching me up, but the scrap is like a half finished cartoon that hasn't been coloured in.

Edited by RED BEARD

The first time this happened to me i **** my pants!

I can count on one hand how many times its happened and it hasn't happened for a year or so now but it is terryfying! I don't think i can relate it to anything in my life, as far as im aware i wasn't stressed at the time even though they all came within a 6-12 month period, i put them down to being random more than stressed related.

The first time it happened i didnt know what was happening or anything, i remember trying to wiggle and screem to my partner laying next to me but i wasn't able to move or shout even though i tried so hard! i must've done something as she nudged me and as soon as she touched me my body snapped out of the "paralysis". In all my experiences though i can never recall a sensation of something holding me down or sat on me, just the feeling of being wide awake but not able to move.

I searched it just like yourself and found a whole world of "paranormal" explanations, and even a documentry on it. 90% of theorys is its a "demon" sat on you hense the paralysis and weight on your chest sensation. The documentry interviewed people who said when they awake in this state they see/halucinate demons/ghosts/creatures comeing towards them or holding them down so everytime it happened to me after my first time i tried to keep my eyes closed and wriggle and scream until my partner nudged me and snapped me out of it. I think i would be trumatised for life if i opened my eyes and saw something.

Overall i must admit it isn't a nice or pleasent feeling or sensation, its hard to stay calm but i think the best way to snap out of it is to calm youself down and try and wake yourself up by becomeing aware of yourself moving or trying to move to wake your body up.

Edited by Brooksy789

Interesting Stuff Gentlemen...It is for sure a terrifying experience. I havent actually seen a figure during an episode but I do feel as I am awake and am aware of a presence. Someone/Something with superhuman Strength pinning me to the bed whilst strangling me' and no matter how much I try and fight back or Shout out' it is hopeless.

I have to say im now sorry I have heard of this phenomenon ' i would have been content enough putting it down to a Nightmare' but this talk about Demons is very unsettling.

I did read that if you lay on your back' the chances are greater of it happening.Needless to say I have been going to sleep face down since It last happened.

Life is a bit Stressful at present' as we have to young Children' one at 8months that doesnt know What sleep is night or day' that coupled with helping caring for my father who has dementia.

Interestingly enough Red beard' i also have had that sensation of falling through air.I didnt mention it for fear people would consider me a complete lunatic altogether. Mine is usually falling from the Bow of a Gigantic Ship but I always wake before I hit the ground or water.

I do tend to have some really mad dreams and when i tell them to my wife she always Says i need my head looked about..Lol.

I enjoy the mad dreams' and i believe they are known as cheese dreams and I do eat a fair of amount of cheese.

But this sleep paralysis is a different thing altogether. Knowing others do suffer it from it is kind of reassuring .

Thanks for the replies and advice' i may read more up on it but would rather it didnt happen again and hope i can forget all about it.

Its that time of year where my Wildfowling dreams should be kicking in and they are usually an altogether more enjoyable experience :)

I have just the other evening become aware of this strange phenomenon. I had this a few nights ago and brought it up in Conversation when my Nephew and his Girl where over on a visit. It started off talking about Ghostly things and hauntings' when I mentioned my Nightmare. Jade' his Girfriend said OMG' thats sleep paralysis and is associated with demons. She said google it and See as she had a friend who has had it. So google it i did and couldnt believe all the stuff on the web about it.

The thing is I have had this dream/nightmare many times. I had it often years ago when still at Home with my parents and i slept in my own room. It was always someone on Top of me holding my throat and despite all my efforts at trying to swing at the unseen being 'I was powerless to do anything or shout out. i would always remember it in the morning when I woke up' but just but it down to a bad dream. I used to Work ridiculous hours in a very physical demanding job' and it could have been down to stress.

I also used to get a dream that someone was after me' but When I tried to run away my legs would not move. Another thing that used to happen while working in what we used to joke as being in a "chain gang " was I would after going to bed upstairs in my Boxers' awake in the middle of the night laying on the Sofa in the living room downstairs completely Naked' Not remembering anything about doing it. i mentioned this at work to the other lads and one of them informed me that this was common enough and was down to lack of sleep and over working and he himself used to try and jump into bed with his sisters in the middle of the night not knowing what he was doing. "Well that was his version/excuse anyway" lol.

To finish' I will add that I have always been generally happy in life and am generally happy at present. i remember as a small lad' I had a non blood uncle' that used to say that the house he was living in was haunted' as Ghosts used to come into his room at night and sit on top of him and slap his face. After finding out about this sleep paralaysis' I now can link this to his ghosts.

One Website states that as low as 6% suffer this phenomenon while another says most people will experience it at least once in their lifetime.

So has anyone on PW had this and whats their take on it. Stress' or is it demons..Would be interesting to here any thoughts on this Thanks in advance for any imput.

Succubus ... although as your from Ireland ... Banshee. :whistling:

Demons my spotty bottom.

Drs do know quite a bit about it psychologist even more.

Everyone becomes paralysed whilst asleep at various levels , this stops you jumping out of bed whilst dreaming etc ocasionally you are either less paralysed or have more consciousness , creating rather unusual mainly unpleasant sensations.

Sleep apnoea also causes the sensation of people creeping up on you and fearful emotion.

Good luck it's a horrible feeling , my wife calls them my running dreams, as when I'm coming out of them I start running from the toes up till I shout, which of course isn't loud as your vocal cords are also not working so as they start a muffled oomph drips out of my mouth.

Good luck with them bloody frightening but once you know not to worry you'll soon get back to sleep.

Forget the demons, mine started after taking some strong pain killers and I had a full night in that state they then started to happen very rarely loads of reasons were looked at PTSD etc but for me just the explanation that it's a £***** up sleep pattern helped.

John.

When I was on shifts I did some crazy stuff including sleep paralysis and sleepwalking - woke several times standing in front of the open fridge, never figured out if the cold, the light coming on, or just standing there was what woke me but I had munched as fair bit of stuff in my sleep and very rarely I'd wake in my bed surrounded by wrappers etc so had got up, fed, and gone back to bed

no wonder I didn't often want breakfast!

Ive had them for years, not very often these days but it was most nights as a young teenager.

After a while i stopped being terrified and learned to control the dreams.

I only get them these days if ive eaten pork pie or a sausage sandwich before i go to bed :-).

If it does happen now its always the banshee screaming in my ear as shes standing at the the side of the bed, i just say get lost im tired and trying to sleep and it stops, if it happens again ill just say, ive told you once now **** off !...

Its nothing to worry about and its certainly not demons lol, the demon story is for the backward races that dont have the knowledge to explain it.

I've had this a handful of times.

The first time I was only around 12 years old and could feel a 'presence' in my room paralysed. I remember trying to scream to no avail. I knew it happened but it sort of still felt like a dream.

It happened to me again and was certain I was able to see shadowy figures in the room. Again I was trying to scream with no success. After that I tried a little research on the web.

After understanding what this is, during the few episodes I've had since i am more or less fully aware of what's going on and can more or less try and wake my self up a little.

I usually have very strange dreams that make little sense at all. I also have dreams where I know I am dreaming but cannot wake up.

I have to say im now sorry I have heard of this phenomenon ' i would have been content enough putting it down to a Nightmare' but this talk about Demons is very unsettling.

I must admit mate i was the very same. I don't like to believe in demons because of how nasty they are portrayed to be and when i read up about it it was very very unsettling. Like i said i just closed my eyes so i 'wouldn't see anything'.

I think there is a scientific explaination for it, i believe its something to do with the REM (Rapid Eye Movement) phase of sleep.

Ive had them for years, not very often these days but it was most nights as a young teenager.

After a while i stopped being terrified and learned to control the dreams.

I only get them these days if ive eaten pork pie or a sausage sandwich before i go to bed :-).

If it does happen now its always the banshee screaming in my ear as shes standing at the the side of the bed, i just say get lost im tired and trying to sleep and it stops, if it happens again ill just say, ive told you once now **** off !...

Its nothing to worry about and its certainly not demons lol, the demon story is for the backward races that dont have the knowledge to explain it.

Similar experiences when in my late teens and early 20's, fuzzy lurid noise, inability to move and scary, almost always happened when very tired but somehow unable to fall asleep. I learned to tell it to naff off and force myself to awake.

There are scientific explanations of course and for most people the older you get the fewer the frequency. My then English girl friend was utterly convinced they were the souls of the undead turned bad :rolleyes::lol: so I have to take exception to your last sentence.

I had a few horrors when I was living on my own in Taunton on a remote dairy farm. My sleep was regularly disturbed and I had all sorts of strange sensations not too dissimiliar from those described in earlier posts. My mind wasn't exactly set at ease when I started exploring out buildings and found all manner of occult type parafernalia. 'Twas a great feeling booting up the 303 for the last time I can tell you!!!

Similar experiences when in my late teens and early 20's, fuzzy lurid noise, inability to move and scary, almost always happened when very tired but somehow unable to fall asleep. I learned to tell it to naff off and force myself to awake.

There are scientific explanations of course and for most people the older you get the fewer the frequency. My then English girl friend was utterly convinced they were the souls of the undead turned bad :rolleyes::lol: so I have to take exception to your last sentence.

Females arent another race, they are an entirely different species ;-)

I used to get these all the time when younger, never thought more it than just part of crazy dream world... I also had flying dreams a lot as a lad but as soon as I found girls and the delights they bring (wayhey) they stopped.

demons? really?! next you'll be telling me unicorns and the tooth fairy are real.

Succubus ... although as your from Ireland ... Banshee. :whistling:

"Ah" The Oul Banshee' I seen that old hag once..i wouldnt worry to much as if anyone hears or see's her, it is usually someone else who is about to croak it :lol:

The Succubus' As as a boxing fan I am led to Believe it was herself that was the undoing of George foreman in his fight with Ali "The Rumble in the Jungle".

Really' I aint the type of person who scares too easy' As ive been a dedicated Wildfowler for near 25yrs on my own and been out with my father yrs before that lamping rabbits,Fowling, and poaching at all hours of the night "Old Skool poaching i might add for sport and a few trout. I have spent hours in remote places with only myself and Dogs. Places that are well of the beaten track with no sound of human activity. One place in particular and old farm on the coast where I Moonflight each year. There has been nights where i will admit i have felt a bit uneasy with some strange sounds going on throughout the night.. John Humphreys writing' comes to mind and i quote; The old fowlers 'living in times of superstition' must have been very brave men indeed or devoid of any imagination to venture out in the darkness in such places.

I think there is a bit of primeval fear in most of us. I am not overly a holy person' Im not a church goer' But I do believe in the Man above.So if i believe in God then the other forces out there must be active aswell. I do think i have an over active imagination though which could be responsible for some of my mad dreams.

Cheese Dreams and nightmares are one thing' And i enjoy a bit of banter and appreciate a sense of humour' but unless anyone has actually experienced this Sleep paralysis then it will be very hard for them to actually understand the frightening sensation that comes with it.

Thanks again for all the advice and for all the imput :good: