Moulded Ear Protection - CENS/PLUGZZ

Wildfowler12

Morning all, I'm looking to buy some moulded ear protection. I don't think I want electric ones, as most of my shooting is done on the marsh - usually in horizontal rain!

A quick scan of Google and a PW search has thrown up a number of options. So I'd be interested to hear from anybody who owns or has tried the CENS Passive or PLUGZZ sonic valve ear protection. Or indeed any alternatives that fit the bill.

Firstly, are they comfortable, and do they fit well - normal plugs are forever falling of of my ears - usually when I get cold! And is there a brand or product in particular that stands out?

Many thanks in advance :good:

If you are remaining with passive plugs, then I would consider Emtech. Mine are still going strong after some 20 years. If you plan on going electronic, then the Cens are quite good. Although they have an excellent after sales service, servicing can be a bit costly. The advantage of the Cens is that you can buy the passive and then add electronics later though. Problem is one persons choice, is anothers nightmare, the mistake can be costly though.

I have CENS electronics and love them. So much better than passives as I need to be able to hear well in the field or it drives me nuts. I have used them as passives (you get free passive plugs with electronics) and they are great. At that price point (£100) I wouldn't consider anything else. Then, if you want to upgrade to electronics later you just order the modules. There is no passive dampening (they are straight fitted earplugs) but they are effective and comfortable.

Previously I used surefire EP3s which are an inexpensive passive and they aren't bad (I keep 2 pairs in the truck now as back up/spares). They are about £15 a pair. You can hear a pigeon's wingbeats coming in to roost but it takes out most of the bang. Much better than basic earplugs and worth the price I think.

thanks

rick

Thanks for all the responses, can anyone tell me if the Cens Passives have the valve technology in them, so you can hear normal conversation too? Or do they just muffle all sound?

I have used the CENS Plugzz since buying them at Lowther last August. Much more comfortable than the valves, comfortable enough to wear all day and normal conversation is fine. The only downside is that in high winds (something you may be prone to on the foreshore) all you can hear when facing into the wind, is just that, the wind. Apart from that they're great.

My new CENS Passives are waiting for me to collect from the Post Office, had the moulds done just 2 weeks ago. I was trying to decide between the CENS and the Emtech's, but the CENS were highly recommended by a couple of different people in my clays club.

The nearest place I could get moulds for the Emtechs was about 30 miles away and only midweek during the day. CENS seem to have a lot more options for getting the moulds.

• 2 weeks later...

That's not bad but I recommend pro shock hocks filter passives they are brilliant speech is normal but the bang is gone!

http://www.proshock.co.uk/contour-hock-filters.html

I just got my new Proshock hocks passives today and they are great. Fit perfectly, hear very well and great customer service. Couldn't recommend Peter Russell and Claire at Proshock enough. That's after a lot of disappointments in the ear protection world ;)

No matter which 'device' you use, the fit of the plug is critical and I spent a lot of money with other 'Game Fair only mould takers' before Proshock sorted me out.

I just got my new Proshock hocks passives today and they are great. Fit perfectly, hear very well and great customer service. Couldn't recommend Peter Russell and Claire at Proshock enough. That's after a lot of disappointments in the ear protection world ;)

No matter which 'device' you use, the fit of the plug is critical and I spent a lot of money with other 'Game Fair only mould takers' before Proshock sorted me out.

Couldn't recommend proshock enough. Peter is very helpful and goes out his way to help.