YOUNG PEOPLE NOT REPAIRING STUFF

four-wheel-drive

On the TV this morning they was saying that it would seem that young people today seem to have lost the ability to do even simple repairs when things go wrong I now that lots of stuff is made cheaply to throw when it goes wrong and buy a new one I do tend to do that myself but if I can I will try to mend it before I chuck it all a bit sad I thought.

Forgot to add nothing that I enjoy more that bogging something so that it will work again that is what sheds was made for.

Edited by four-wheel-drive

I couldnt agree more,how many younbg people actually own and use a solderin iron ??

My little repair shop is full of bits and peices to repair other broken bits ..lol

but your right its a throw away society, illeagal immigrants are really happy with our items we discard and replace

It was on TV last week a romanian guy had made over £10000 reselling and repairing our thrown items

On the TV this morning they was saying that it would seem that young people today seem to have lost the ability to do even simple repairs when things go wrong I now that lots of stuff is made cheaply to throw when it goes wrong and buy a new one I do tend to do that myself but if I can I will try to mend it before I chuck it all a bit sad I thought.

Forgot to add nothing that I enjoy more that bogging something so that it will work again that is what sheds was made for.

Well the generation preceding them has not passed on the skills and will to do so, this has been in steady decline for quite a while....

Also to add, things are very fiddly....easy enough to repair a hide pole.............open up a ferret finder to see what is wrong, know that is a whole different ball game....

TEH

When I was at school we were taught woodwork and metalwork, not CDT (whatever the hell that is). We were also taught how to program computers not just use programs on them.

I may not be very good but I can have a bash at fixing most things (my QB78 DL air rifle is a case in point, tinkerers dream that gun. It spends more time apart getting tuned than it does being shot. Saves a fortune in CO2 though).

What needs to repaired these days? once you could fix a tele or radio with silver cigarette packet paper, or by replacing a few valves? now you just throw them out, very little now is cost effective to repair so why bother? or are some here a bit like an old work mate of mine that would take bits of old pallets to turn out spice racks that no one wanted or could be bought for a quid in a budget store.

KW

I thought you had just chucked a TV for the same of a capacitor?

That's SAD

I suppose it depends on how you value your time I'm happy to repair stuff but I'm not going to spend my day repairing something I can replace for 20 quid

Now then making something utterly useless is a different matter I will happily spend weeks doing that

Hah! This.

The hours I can spend working on something useless? - about the same as the hours I can put off doing something useful!

LS (age 34 and a bit)

I think a lot depends on the older generation you are brought up around, my dad is a fitter welder and taught me how to fix a lot but when I went to work most of the blokes my dads age and older wouldn't show any of us how to do anything they did as they thought stupidly that it made them irreplaceable, came back to bite them when I started maintenance engineering as when their machine broke and they asked how to fix it I wouldn't show them but the guys that helped me learn I showed what I knew.

Much of this lack of basic skills is indeed down to the throw away culture we now seem to be living in .

Right memory time lads ,how many of us when we were young un's have ,

1..Taken the wheels from an old pram and used them to build a trolley /soap-cart .

2.. Had to repair your own second hand push bike with scavanged bits and pieces .

3..Stripped down your first motor bike i.e. B.S.A. Bantam ,Villiers etc ,and put it back together successfully.

4..Repaired your first car with your dads help .

All of the above we HAD to do because we were skint 7 days a week .Taught us to appreciate what we had though as well as how to repair our gear without buying new every five minutes.

Edited by Jega

Much of this lack of basic skills is indeed down to the throw away culture we now seem to be living in .

Right memory time lads ,how many of us when we were young un's have ,

1..Taken the wheels from an old pram and used them to build a trolley /soap-cart .

2.. Had to repair your own second hand push bike with scavanged bits and pieces .

3..Stripped down your first motor bike i.e. B.S.A. Bantam ,Villiers etc ,and put it back together successfully.

4..Repaired your first car with your dads help .

All of the above we HAD to do because we were skint 7 days a week .Taught us to appreciate what we had though as well as how to repair our gear without buying new every five minutes.

I've done all those things, not because of money really, I just enjoy tinkering myself. We used to knock about on salvaged Honda cub 90s when we were teens and spent more time messing with them than we did riding!

OK so the younger generation lack a certain skill set, I can confirm this due to the amount of relatively simple jobs I am called out to repair. However how many on here asked the grandkids how to use their tablet/computer to get on the net. They just have a different set of skills that unfortunately is more applicable in today's society

Age 34

I hate the throw away mindset, the waste it involves and the concept of the "consumer society" . I think I have a bit of an inner tree hugger in me. Even though it might be ******* in the wind in the big scheme of things, I like to try and minimise my impact on the planet if I can help it. I'm not fanatical about this and and don't always live up to my own ideals, but I try where I can. Even though I know I can replace a broken item for less effort, and possibly cheaper than repairing it, I'd rather have a go if I know how. I get a massive buzz from fixing (or bodgeing) something which would otherwise have ended up in land fill. On a positive note, one thing which I think is leading to a bit of a revival in fixing stuff is you tube. For every knackered tumble drier, drippy tap or misfiring chain saw, there is a video telling you how to sort it. If someone hasn't had the benefit of some old guy passing on their skills, it can be a reasonable second best.