Arrogant cyclists!

Vince Green

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We ought to start a campaign to ban cyclists from the roads at weekends.

Great idea, anything which results in more car traffic on the roads at the weekend can only be a good thing. Let's ban shooting at the weekend too in order to make sure the countryside is nice and quiet.

Google Community Accredited Safety Scheme.

People on here would moan if they thought the Police were wasting their time marshaling cycle races wouldn't they?

The public have no lawful powers to direct traffic at planned events. However, Hampshire Constabulary have a scheme event organisers may obtain accreditation for their staff. Accredited staff can then direct traffic on the public highway in strict accordance with the traffic management plan for that event. Please contact Hampshire Constabulary for futher information (at present they do not have a web page about the scheme):

It used to be that the police could be 'hired' for such events, now it would appear they can allow 'accredited staff' limited powers. Its worth noting the firsts statement.

I believe the bicycle preceded the motor car by 22 years so I would say they deserve a bit of tolerance.

Trouble is when many of us get behind the wheel of a car our personality disintegrates to that of Neanderthal proportions.

If any of us both Cycle and drive you will know that to be true.

Edited by Fisherman Mike

I don't mind the small groups of cyclists but around my way there is a cycle club that uses the dengue 100 most weekends during the summer and when they have a race the marshals stop the traffic to let the bikers out of turnings. If I was to go to the council/police and say that I wanted to have on the public high way in my car I would get told to go to a track. How comes they are allowed to race on the road and stop the traffic.

Mark.

Cycling threads do bring out the best in people dont they, usually from the jealous lazy cholesterol rich smokers who think it is their divine right to pollute the world with their car exhaust fumes and who cant turn a foot let alone a peddle.

KW

Cycling threads do bring out the best in people dont they, usually from the jealous lazy cholesterol rich smokers who think it is their divine right to pollute the world with their car exhaust fumes and who cant turn a foot let alone a peddle.

KW

They also bring out Self righteous, smug, abusive types who behave on forums like they do when they are riding 3 abreast on a B road.

I don't mind cyclists, until they block the roads

I normally give a cheery quick pip to let them know I'm there and want to pass, if they then fail to pull in and subject me to 2 miles at 23mph, I pass as and when I can then slow down to 6mph and subject them to 2 miles of that

Daft *****

I think it's the pack mentality when road racing , combined with late middle age-crisis and Lycra that is too tight, all of these combine to bring the worst out in them! I watched (a car behind ) an old dear follow a group for a half mile, she then over took, and pulled into the side of the road about 500 yards later, she was locking the car as the group caught up, and the lead Lycra clad/sex case/bully screamed (literally) 'idiot' at her. Totally unnecessary reaction. Racing on public roads, being used by the public is not on IMHO.

I had an incident with 4 cyclists a while ago, well one of them. I was on my way shooting going down a single track road I got stuck behind this group for a fair distance even though there was plenty of places they could of let me past and they weren't in a hurry doing about 15mph, when the road widened I went past (safely I might add)but as I went past the one in front the ***** gave me a ****** sign and what really bought the red mist down was the filth bag gobbed on my passenger window. So as I got in front of him I slammed my brakes on which nearly put him in the back of my truck. I got out and said what was that for and he reckons I was pressuring them? All the tine I was behind them I was about 10 meters behind them. Anyway after somechoice words he wiped it off. To be honest if I didn't have my gun in my truck and having a sgc stopped him from getting a swift punch in the mouth. Before any cyclists start saying I was out of order slamming my brakes on , how would feel if I gobbed on you as I drove past.

Same happened with my mate.

Bet he made a mental note to himself (must not gob on car windows) as he crawled out the ditch further up the road.

There seems to be a lot of ill feeling on here about this topic. Can I suggest that we all just take a deep breath and agree that cyclists who break the law, just like car drivers who break the law, are idiots?

The law allows for cyclists to cycle two abreast and, if conditions suggest it is the best thing, take the primary position. As road users themselves, they should be treated as such by other users, such as cars, so any overtaking should be carried out as normal, i.e. by going onto the other side of the road and not cutting back in sharply or aggressively.

On the flip side, if cyclists are being aggressive or stupid, then report them to the police in the same way that you would do a driver. What's the point of getting het up about it or, if you deliberately splash them of brake in front of them, putting yourself at risk of being prosecuted? If it's a club ride, complain to the club. If it's an organised event, complain to the organisers. I know that the ones I have been on have event rules for how to cycle.

Lastly though, the "road tax" thing. Come on, seriously? It's been VED for how long now? It doesn't allow you to use the road, it goes into a big pot for other people to take money out of. Besides, I'm pretty sure most if not all of the club riders that annoy you so much will pay VED as well, so have as much right to be there as anyone else.

I only thought this happened to us at Hollybush. The Normans (we call them after *** wagging cyclist Norman Wisdom) take up the pub car park and us shooters have to use the field.

The Normans return just before we finish shooting and, sweating, steaming and stinking, they invade the bar and take in their own water bottles.

Last month, we'd had enough and we were welcomed at a nearby posh pub, where our group spent nigh on £600 in food and drink.

Members who braved our pub made their complaints known.

We did hear the takings were very much down!

Time will tell.

I am convinced all this stuff happens to special people.

I drive a car, I would estimate I have driven hundreds of thousands of miles in over 30 years and ridden a bike a few thousand too.

None of this stuff happens to me, and yet I know people who couldn't ride or drive more than a handful of miles with getting into some argy bargy.

I don't know why people just can't get on.

I also like to get out on the bike and always give cyclists plenty of room and time when passing.

It's called being considerate and having manners.

Endangering someone else's life so you can be 5 mins quicker to get to where your going makes you an **** hole.

As a cyclist being a hard *** n not letting cars pass is also being an **** hole. If I'm on a lane n there's cars can't pass I'd try to pull in where safe to let them pass without inconveniencing them. When out with the uni club we pull single file n try to let them pass.

Basically there's plenty of people out there who just enjoy being a pain to others because they can! It's in every sport , hhobby or whatever!

People who are polite and nice never have a problem regardless of what they're doing. Funny that!

The Highway Code, Rule 66;

You should

• keep both hands on the handlebars except when signalling or changing gear
  • keep both feet on the pedals
  • never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends
  • not ride close behind another vehicle
  • not carry anything which will affect your balance or may get tangled up with your wheels or chain
  • be considerate of other road users, particularly blind and partially sighted pedestrians. Let them know you are there when necessary, for example, by ringing your bell if you have one. It is recommended that a bell be fitted.

https://www.gov.uk/rules-for-cyclists-59-to-82

Don't really have a problem with cyclists in the main but i must admit its a bit of a blood boiler when they're spread out over the whole road doing 10mph on a 60mph road (always seems to be unrestricted single lane carriageways round my way). You can be as indignant as you want when someone finally loses patience and goes around you, but its only ever going to be the cyclist that comes off worse