Bespoke stock

Old farrier

On the computer now with a bigger screen Gunman is right the grain is short on the panels and is too short for my tastes it looks more of a trap stock with a high comb than a game sporting stock, and with your finger injuries I'm sure the grip shape will make it extremely difficult to pull the trigger.

I would not pay for that and ask for my deposit back you asked for a sport coupe he's made an suv.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought that

I also noticed the spare butt plate

I'm sort of trying not to be cynical about this and trying to stay composed

Thanks for your comment

All the best

Of

Edit

Pow or semi pistol grip is important to me as I am finger deficient on one hand as is the tulip forend

you should come up here OF, there's a few around here with fingers to spare.

i'd be happy with that stock.

That is bizarre, different in every single respect from what you asked for, other than it is a gun stock made out of wood.

That must be a pic of the wrong stock that he sent, that can be the only reasonable explanation.

Edit to add: The second photo is a different bit of wood again from the first photo and not the regular pistol grip of the first stock reworked into a PoW grip. Has he re-used a stock that was taken off another gun for the second picture?

Edited by grrclark

Hi

Thanks to you all for your input and comments it is much appreciated

As some have noticed what should have been a enjoyable experience spending a large amount of money (on self ) and having created a gun with amazing wood that would be a pleasure to shoot and enjoyment to own 😋

Has turned into a bit of a nightmare 😣😣

My take on this

He's tried to work a stock into me that a previous client has rejected

Or he's found a stock off another browning and thought that'll do

I'm not sure if the last picture he sent was the stock reworked

Although the wood in the first pictures is very nice its not exactly exebition grade

I've got better on a grade 5 mirouke 😋

So looking for a way forwand to this

please bear in mind that at this moment in time he has my gun and a substantial deposited 😥

So if you would be kind enough to share your thoughts and ideas

All the best

Of

Looks like its giving you sleepless nights OF !

If it was me ( which it would not be as I cannot afford such luxuries :) )

I would tell him to stop work immediatly as you will not be accepting the stock , I would ask for a return of the full deposit and your gun .

As the work is no doubt costing a fair wedge I would tell him that failure to do the above will mean you will have little option but to start legal proceedings against him for both the cost and inconvenience he is causing.

I would then go out and buy a semi auto with a plastic stock as a nice wood one will get ruined on your next trip to the wash !

Hi

Thanks fenboy

More than one sleepless night as you know I have a multi shot gun for the wash 😂

It's very difficult

As I'm sure your aware legal proceedings to recover money inevitably cost more in time and money so basically your on a hiding to nothing

As for cost at no time have I tried to screw this job down to a price I was hoping to get the best of the best

I can now see why clients travel to Italy or Portugal and have the job done abroad

I used to think Britain had the best craftsmen in the world and have always tried to use them

Many years ago a old craftsman said to me

You are judged by the job you deliver its up to you weather its a good one or a bad one

Wise words

We will see what occurs between now and the 1st may

All the best

Of

Such a shame to have all this worry instead of the pleasure of what is a big investment.

Is it worth going over to see the stocker and looking at the stock before May. If its not right it might be easier to discuss face to face rather than being presented with something that isn't what you want as a faut accompli.

Hope it gets sorted and you get what you asked for.

Good grief OF, what should've been an enjoyable experience seems to be turning into a nightmare and I feel for you.

I've had stocks made for me by Perazzi and Essevierre in Italy and latterly by Manuel Ricardo in Portugal and nothing matches the delight and anticipation of seeing the stock evolve from a lump of wood into a thing of beauty to meet your expectations in a matter of days.

I sincerely hope that the stock is completed to your satisfaction or you get your money back.

If you decide to look abroad for the stock of your dreams please PM me and I'll give you any help I can.

Nothing to lose in asking for gun and deposit back. If he says no then you can reevaluate your options. Looks to me he's decided to shift a stock he already had onto you. The latest POW does not look comfortable to me either. I'd also be disappointed in that chequering

I feel for you as everyone has said something that should of been a great experience turns sour.

Small claims court: you can claim upto £10000, I have no idea how much your deposit was but fees are on a sliding scale roughly £25 for upto £300 and £105 unto £3000. You do not even have to be there it can all be submitted online I believe.

I though the chequering would be the last thing to be done on the stock, so why would be still be working on the stock as shown on the image. it proves he is working on a old stock instead of a new block of wood

Go and visit him with someone else as a witness, get your gun back and original wood and walk away, if he wont give deposit back get all evidence and take him to small claims court

You will get nowhere until you see him face to face and unannounced call may make sure he is in

Good grief OF, what should've been an enjoyable experience seems to be turning into a nightmare and I feel for you.

I've had stocks made for me by Perazzi and Essevierre in Italy and latterly by Manuel Ricardo in Portugal and nothing matches the delight and anticipation of seeing the stock evolve from a lump of wood into a thing of beauty to meet your expectations in a matter of days.

I sincerely hope that the stock is completed to your satisfaction or you get your money back.

If you decide to look abroad for the stock of your dreams please PM me and I'll give you any help I can.

Many thanks I may well be in touch if this goes any further downhill

Thanks for your reply

All the best

Of

I though the chequering would be the last thing to be done on the stock, so why would be still be working on the stock as shown on the image. it proves he is working on a old stock instead of a new block of wood

Go and visit him with someone else as a witness, get your gun back and original wood and walk away, if he wont give deposit back get all evidence and take him to small claims court

You will get nowhere until you see him face to face and unannounced call may make sure he is in

I'd go with this.

It's akin to going to saville row and ending up with an ill fitting suit in the cut and colour you didn't ask for. I'd be wanting the gun back and I'd be paying nothing, if that failed then it'd be court. And by the looks of it he wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

It's a shame but I'm sure you'll end up with what you originally wanted, maybe just not from this bloke.

As said above the small claims court may be your best option should he be difficult to deal with.

There will be many people better equipped to ask questions and give guidance in this respect than I am, but do you have anything written down as to what the contract or agreement of sale was between you both? Even if that is an email or correspondence subsequent to you agreeing anything verbally, pretty much anything that clearly describes your original request or any later concerns relative to the original agreement between you.

As a side note I have seen the work of Manuel Ricardo and was very impressed, however as PhilR has 1st hand experience of that he is absolutely best placed to give testimony to his work.

If you are inclined to try and keep the business in Britain the gunsmith that I use also does custom built stocks and having seen some of the work in his shop I am very impressed. He will be more expensive that Manuel Ricardo and a trip to Perthshire is maybe not quite as warm as a trip to Portugal, but I would be happy to pass on his details if you are interested.

Edited by grrclark

Such a shame to have all this worry instead of the pleasure of what is a big investment.

Is it worth going over to see the stocker and looking at the stock before May. If its not right it might be easier to discuss face to face rather than being presented with something that isn't what you want as a faut accompli.

Hope it gets sorted and you get what you asked for.

Thanks for your comment although if you knew me you would realise it proberabley wouldn't be a good idea

I will give him a chance to deliver what he promised

Many thanks for your thoughts

Of

Nothing to lose in asking for gun and deposit back. If he says no then you can reevaluate your options. Looks to me he's decided to shift a stock he already had onto you. The latest POW does not look comfortable to me either. I'd also be disappointed in that chequering

I agree thanks for your thoughts

although at this point I am trying to avoid being confrontational

Although it appears the best I can expect is a stock that's been altered from one thing to another at worst money back and 7 wasted months

Or a trip to court to recover money and costs (if he's dot any ) and get £5 a week

So I will give him a chance to pull it together and hopefully get the job done

Many thanks

All the best

Of

I must admit I am guilty of not reading all the post and just commented on the wood. However it does appear that you have not been provided with what you requested. I hope you get the gunsmith to make this right, but I can see it being a bit of a nightmare. I would avoid being confrontational initially the guy needs to have an opportunity to make things right for you but if you don't get any joy then you may well have to go through the hassle of the small claims court.