Barking dogs

fatchap

Specifically my barking dogs.

We have two GSD's that love a bark in the garden at everything, birds, low flying planes just about anything that gets thier attention. They are not viscous in anyway, we also have a staffie who sadly also likes to join in the barking.

We got a letter a few weeks ago from the council informing us that someone had complained, so a quick google told us the times during the day that the dogs could be out.

We had no idea who had complained as we have allways got on well with the neighbors, until today when I noticed my Staffie George acting strangely by the fence, he was cowering and obviously i some kind of distress. I went out to him and picked him up and carried him back indoors where he made an instant recovery. So I investigated the area of the garden where he was and there on top of my fence was a small black box with what appeared to be a small speaker, two dials and a PIR detector lens. I asked the neighbor what it was and he told me its to stop your ********* dogs barking.So the identity of the complainer is revealed, I then removed the device from the fence, and dropped it on his side of the garden. Its back on the fence again, he claims he has been told to do this by the council, but I very much doubt that.

Anyone on here shed some light on the legalities of what he has done?

If this thing stops a dog from barking by causing it pain then I think its a police matter.

Edited by fatchap

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you were my neighbour with 3 barking dogs I would be having a word with you as well . Your neighbours don't have to put up with barking dogs .

Harnser

Thats all they had to do in the first plaoe.. And I would have done something about it. Sneaking off to the council about someone you have known for over 15 years without an ill word is a bit much.

I have a dog myself and find it incredibly annoying to hear neighbours dogs barking for any length of time. Sounds like your neighbour has resorted to an ultra sonic dog deterrent thing. It may cause auditory discomfort to your dog but nothing that could be construed as causing unecessary suffering within animal welfare statutes

It's obviously an electronic anti bark device. If you object to it on your fence, why not suggest he knocks a stake in his garden, adjacent to the fence, and puts it on there.

I do object to it on my fence and have just suggested he put it as you said on a post or on the side of his shed. He said he will think about it., I then informed him that the fence is infact mine and if its still there in half an hour I will remove it and post it through his letter box one piece at a time.

Edited by fatchap

Well cant help you with your neighbours but there is a little **** of a ****zu next door that goes ballistic every time we step into our garden,have spent a fortune on double fencing so it cant see in never stopped it, having read this I have just sent off for a hand held anti bark device, so thanks for the heads up :good: , cant wait to see if it stops the little sod going berserk.

KW

I do object to it on my fence and have just suggested he put it as you said on a post or on the side of his shed. He said he will think about it., I then informed him that the fence is infact mine and if its still there in half an hour I will remove it and post it through his letter box one piece at a time.

In which case you are possibly breaking the law. Destruction of property?

As someone who has suffered and had to involve the council with issues of dogs next door ( now gone ) I think you are being a little harsh on your neighbour , he is only trying to do what you yourself should have done .

Perhaps you do not understand just what effect constant barking can have on other people , it drove me and my family to despair

Your neighbour maybe should have said something, but equally you should be aware of your dogs barking and not have to be asked or told to do something about it.

I'd be looking at solving the dogs barking problem instead of moaning at the neighbours

Yup. Got to agree. You've admitted that your dogs bark a lot, and that you have done nothing about it.

Oh, and taking his property (the ultrasonic deterrent) is theft. Posting it back one piece at a time is criminal damage.

Probably not the smartest course of action in the world.

The issue is the incessant barking of your dogs. If you had come on the forum complaining how your dogs had been injured or physically abused I would have some sympathy for you, my sympathy is however with your neighbour. If my dogs barked constantly, which they don't because I would remedy that, and somebody had gone to the expense of buying an electronic device to stop them, I would be quite pleased. Surely barking dogs annoy you. The main issue you have is keeping a harmonious relationship with your neighbour, you have to live there. It's never worth falling out with neighbours over kids or pets.

Taking something placed on his property isn't theft, if it's on his property it's his! If his neighbour made any holes or anything in the fence to affix it, then that is criminal damage.

I don't really find barking dogs annoying, but then mine barks a lot. I try to get him to shut up but not a lot helps. Will look into this citronella collar, as my neighbour is getting annoyed. But then she complains about everything.

All the best with your issue. Do you ask the neighbour why he felt he couldn't come and talk to you first, before the council? I looked on the council website and it didn't say they could do anything about dogs, unless it was constant...

Rather simplistic and incorrect the last reply. An item on your property does not automatically become yours. You can still commit the offences of theft and criminal damage. Keep this in perspective, it's about barking dogs. Don't pursue a course of action that you may regret in the future especially if you are an FAC or SGC holder.

Taking something placed on his property isn't theft, if it's on his property it's his! If his neighbour made any holes or anything in the fence to affix it, then that is criminal damage.

I don't really find barking dogs annoying, but then mine barks a lot. I try to get him to shut up but not a lot helps. Will look into this citronella collar, as my neighbour is getting annoyed. But then she complains about everything.

All the best with your issue. Do you ask the neighbour why he felt he couldn't come and talk to you first, before the council? I looked on the council website and it didn't say they could do anything about dogs, unless it was constant...

So if someone parks their car on my property it then belongs to me does it ? What a load of rubbish! I have had problems with a person letting their dog run loose and bark outside my window late at night , when I worked very early. After asking several times he finally got the message to keep it under control when he had to pick it up off the dog warden.

Keep your animals under control and have some consideration for others and there would be no problems, feel sorry for both your neighbours!

Thats what has annoyed me. We have lived next door to each other for 15 years, been to countless of each others BBQs, Parties etc and he does this!! A knock on the door would have got my attention. And I could have tried to sort things.

I keep them in now according to council noise pollution guidelines. As long as they are not barking before 7am or after 11pm they can legally bark thier tails off between these times, but I dont need or want that., I will sort the barking out either with a collar or calming drops, these have worked for me before.

The last thing I need is world war dogs with the neighbours.

I am not sure if the rules differ from council to council but when I was having issues I was told that it does not matter what time the dogs are barking if they are effecting someones quality of life then they are commiting an offence .

My tuppence worth,

Go round with a couple of bottles of beer, apologise, sit down and explain what you are going to do to try and solve the problem.

Nothing worse than falling out with the neighbours, especially if you have got on for such a long time.

Maybe his other half has been giving him grief over it and thought he had better do something about it,

We have the same problem round here but now its just down to the one set of neighbours,

Couple of years ago I ended up having a right slanging match with someone a few doors down, let theirs in the garden and it barked for attention,

The dog and possibly neighbour left soon after.

I like dogs but constant barking just annoys me

:shaun:

Hi there mate, please dont think im taking the mick as im really not. But i have the exact same problem with my own blooming dogs none stop barking, it's causing friction between the neighbours and me. Now if you do get a chance to look at the device in question i would be really interested to know which brand/make it is. As i have tried all methods to keep the muts quiet to no avail. Cheers hh

So if someone parks their car on my property it then belongs to me does it ? What a load of rubbish! I have had problems with a person letting their dog run loose and bark outside my window late at night , when I worked very early. After asking several times he finally got the message to keep it under control when he had to pick it up off the dog warden.

Keep your animals under control and have some consideration for others and there would be no problems, feel sorry for both your neighbours!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not for smashing it. Personally if take it down and wait for them to come and ask for it back.

If I nailed something on top of your fence without asking, I'm sure you'd remove it.

And I don't feel sorry for my neighbour. She complains about everything, we were warned about her when we moved in. OCD anal type, picks up every single leaf that dares blow onto her lawn etc.

complained when I did 30 minutes chain sawing for the first time in nearly two years...

Edited by southeastpete