right o peeps can I have your thoughts on .17hmr please.......

at the min I am really undecided to go for one or not quite a few of the people I have spoke to about are against for a array of reasons ..ie prone to faulty ammo blocking barrel etc due to the cci manufacturing process [ apparently cci are the only manufacturers of the cases regardless of which company loads/sels the ammo] a couple have said not a very good round in light wind ?? ...ammo pricey for what it is ?? some say that a few rifles are based on .22lr mechanisms which are not suitable for the increased pressure ??

and other reasons I cant remember .

I was toying with getting one for longer range rabbits crows etc

so can the nice people of PW put their opinions forward to try and clear the mud

thanks in advance

hodge

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never had an issue with any 17hmr ammo. Have an Anschutz 1517 thumbhole and would not be without it.

Accurate and very effective on small vermin out to 150 yards.

That said it is only a tool and like any tool it needs to be used for what it was made for - many others on here and elsewhere will tell you to use a different tool with which they get good results.

Do your home work - compare what is on offer and make the best choice you can. Then learn to use it.

I don't expect rimfire ammo to be as good as centrefire, but it seems strange that 22LR / 22WMR works extremely reliably but HMR doesn't. I assume the problems are caused by necking down the case.

Having said that, I love my HMR, it is flat shooting and effective. People often repeat the common myth that "the little bullet gets blown around a lot" and claim that 22LR or 22WMR are better in the wind - it isn't true - the HMR is better than both in the wind and even holds more energy than the WMR at longer ranges, although in my hands none of them are really capable past 150yds.

If you think of it as a flat shooting rimfire you won't be disappointed, if you swallow all the ( mainly American ) hype about it being a wonder-round suitable for hogs and 300yd gophers then you're in for a nasty surprise.

At the PW rifle shooting weekend I put 40 out of 50 onto the long range disc hanging on chains at 260yds. I do like those PW weekends at Caton, a real chance to hone the skills. They say it is accuracy that kills.

Just a lucky shot - the more I practice the luckier I become :lol:

I have heard all the adverse comments, but my Marlin VS is a mighty accurate and very useful for those longer range crows and bunnies. :good:

I remember Kent writing about how his HMR was not penetrating crows wings or bouncing off or something, but I can say that everything I have hit in the right place has died PDQ. That includes foxes.

I chucked 50 through mine today and hit everything I aimed at . I love it and wouldn't be without it.

I hit every disk at Caton out to 256 yards and I only had a couple of misses.

I shot 14 bunny for 16 shots Thursday night from 40-110 yards all head shot.

I'm not a bad shot but not an Olympic shooter and the hmr helps .

I've only ever seen one miss fire / jam and it pushed out with a rod.

I have had a round stuck in the barrel and some misfires but i still love the HMR, was out yesterday fitting a scope on it and zeroing,100 yds spot on,then a sit on a bank and a couple of bunnies it is an excellent round as long as you look at it's limitations and work within them.

had two and sold them,wouldnt have another,if your looking for something flat to 100yds and 1 mil dot holdover out to 150 ish yds get a mach 2(tin hat on now ),which imo is ample distance to shoot rabbits,crows, i was out with mine saturday and it performed flawlesly,ammo half the price of hmr,twice the price of .22,quieter and i think more accurate,if i needed anything bigger i would go for a wmr

Mate is considering getting shot of his as he's getting fed up with the ammo problems. The thing is he hardly ever uses it so the ammo must be years old by now, not that it deteriorates, but he may still be using faulty stock. I have no idea if the ammo problems have been resolved.

Guest stevo

I had a HMR years ago when they first come out . Up till that point I was using a Wmr .. After 2 months the HMR had to go and I went back to the wmr and never looked back .. For the same reasons as underdog I felt it didn't have the stopping power at the ranges I was it at .

Not enough bullet for me, so I went for wmr.

Shooting a fox in the head with a powder propelled bullet does not do this.

<script pagespeed_no_defer="">//=d.offsetWidth&&0>=d.offsetHeight)a=!1;else{c=d.getBoundingClientRect();var f=document.body;a=c.top+("pageYOffset"in window?window.pageYOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollTop);c=c.left+("pageXOffset"in window?window.pageXOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollLeft);f=a.toString()+","+c;b.b.hasOwnProperty(f)?a=!1:(b.b[f]=!0,a=a<=b.e.height&&c<=b.e.width)}a&&(b.a.push(e),b.d[e]=!0)};p.prototype.checkImageForCriticality=function(b){b.getBoundingClientRect&&q(this,b)};h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkImageForCriticality",function(b){n.checkImageForCriticality(b)});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkCriticalImages",function(){r(n)});var r=function(b){b.b={};for(var d=["IMG","INPUT"],a=[],c=0;c=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e)}b.g&&(e="&rd="+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(s())),131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e),d=!0);t=a;if(d){c=b.f;b=b.h;var f;if(window.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(window.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch(k){try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(u){}}f&&(f.open("POST",c+(-1==c.indexOf("?")?"?":"&")+"url="+encodeURIComponent(b)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}},s=function(){var b={},d=document.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(0==d.length)return{};var a=d[0];if(!("naturalWidth"in a&&"naturalHeight"in a))return{};for(var c=0;a=d[c];++c){var e=a.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");e&&(!(e in b)&&0=b[e].k&&a.height>=b[e].j)&&(b[e]={rw:a.width,rh:a.height,ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b},t="";h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return t});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,d,a,c,e,f){var k=new p(b,d,a,e,f);n=k;c&&m(function(){window.setTimeout(function(){r(k)},0)})});})();pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?s=353e907d1e216f658a1cc9bed00b2d55&app=forums&module=ajax§ion=topics&do=quote&t=313616&p=2836692&md5check=843bb28cce045dbbf27272ad8ada39b0&isRte=1,l8PuqRhht8,true,false,sNFS6RjmX6U');//]]></script> DSCN1273_zps38ta1x1w.jpg&&0

Unless it has next to no weight!

Note: I have no idea what caused the wound! Just an assumption!

U.

Seems unfair to presume HMR if nobody actually knows

The shot might have been a glancing blow which any bullet could have made and the issue was shot placement