Car Boot Sales - great fun but......

norfolk dumpling

:yes: ....and I feel your hunger.

There is a marvellous looking boot sale right outside Hounslow West tube station; have walked past it a few times now but so far haven't had time to have a ratch.

Went to oxford and paid £200 for a pair of brogues,2 weeks later got another pair from a booty ,same make for a fiver ,bloke said they were to heavy for him,he only tried them in the garden so brand new .

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funnily enough, I went to one yesterday, the first in a very long time.

Absolute load of junk for sale, no tools, curios or anything faintly gun related.

I did, however, get to meet loads of charming people, not one of whom spoke English as a first language.

Funnily enough, I went to one yesterday, the first in a very long time.

Absolute load of junk for sale, no tools, curios or anything faintly gun related.

I did, however, get to meet loads of charming people, not one of whom spoke English as a first language.

I know the feeling. I went to a local one a couple of years ago and thought I had somehow been teleported to Poland,

There is a huge one on now and until Monday on the edge of town at the New Fair where thousands of gypsies will try to sell anything from out of focus bare knuckle fighting DVD's to horse tack to brasses to blankets to genuine reproduction items to odd wheel trims, and I mean 'odd' as in 'one' of as opposed to sets of four. :yes: As a local said to me some years ago 'have you ever seen such a load of nowt in one place?' :lol:

It has always amazed me when you see really tatty vans with what appears to be the contents of several garden sheds and several sets of alloys - but only 4 to a set.......... I'm surprised the police aren't there in force. The other rather odd feature and bear in mind this is sleepy Norwich, is the mix of people - its like United Nations! When I ordered a hot dog and a bacon butty I was warned it contained pork. My old dad turned in his grave.

I used to do a few a year, made some decent money too selling off old tat and useful junk, I also got weary of people trying to open the van doors as I was driving to the pitch, and the usual penii who would ask how much then offer 50 pence regardless. ebay has taken most of this hassle away now but it's still nice to have a good old rummage now and again.

I've done 2. Both times people were trying to get into the back of the truck before we'd set up.

The first time some little **** snatched something out of my wife's hand as we were unloading. I nearly punched him but she got there first. We had a double buggy in mint condition we were expecting about £50 for and we're getting offers of 50p!

Second time was a few months ago and the kids wanted to sell a load of old toys. The youngest had a load of old tractors some of which were good quality. Some bloke wanted the lot but didn't want to pay fair money and was making silly offers. I said no and started to put them all out on display. He said " it's a car boot mate and car boot prices". His nerve broke first as we'd only just turned up and the masses were descending.

To sum up I absolutely despise car boot sales. I think it's the only time I turn into a snob and by the end of the day I'm ready to knock people out. Actually it's usually after about 5 minutes. I think I will abstain next time.

I love your description, Iv'e been to one car boot sale and someone actually had for sale, a car boot ( boot lid for a mini) which I thought apt, although I didnt even make an offer as i was between minis at the time

Everyone tells you of the fantastic bargains they have bought at car boot sales.

I know one guy who actually bought an electrical appliance that worked

You have to look at an awful lot of other peoples junk before you find anything worthwhile.

two of my most favourite hand tools were purchased from a car boot, a really old Stanley no5 bench plane, when Stanley made good tools sharp as **** it is, and keeps a really good edge, and an even older ebony mortice guage, with screw adjustments and blades instead of pins. cost me 15 quid the lot.

My mate used to do house clearences for a living and would sell much of the stuff at a big car boot sale just off the Denham roundabout on the A40 into London. He would take well into four figures on a good day.

Not a bad job

I work about 10 mins from there!

I attend a few - hoping to monopolise the World's supply of mechanics tools. Before Ebay, you could pick up MAC and Snap On fairly readily. Since Ebay - very little.

Luckily, sellers don't appreciate the quality of the rest of the "Made in USA" stuff. I bought 12 x 3/8" sliding Ts last week. Unused, ex War Department made by Plomb, who morphed into Proto. Top quality items and cheap.