Gun purchases and sales, any regrets ?

Old Boggy

I'm sure many of us, if not all, during our shooting lifetimes have bought, sold or part exchanged guns that we have later regretted. The gun bought on impulse as the next 'must have' that turned out to be totally unsuitable or the one that shot like a dream but was later sold on for something newer and regretted ever after.

We have all done it I'm sure, except of course 'The man with one gun' who of course should be looked upon with caution as he's the one who is totally at one and satisfied with his weapon, which is an automatic extension of his arm and he rarely misses !

So what have you either bought or sold and thereafter regretted ?

I will start this off by stating that I shot for years with an AYA 25 boxlock until such time that my shooting deteriorated and I blamed the gun. Little did I realise that over the years my eye dominance changed resulting in a poor performance. A visit to a shooting coach at the time would have highlighted this, come up with a solution and I would probably still have the gun today. So regret No. 1

Later on in life I started shooting with 16 bores, mainly side by sides, but fancied an over and under so purchased a Macnab Highlander 16 on impulse having previously shot with similar in 20 bore. This 16 was not true to scale as the Lincoln range and was on a 12 action, albeit that felt felt OK in the shop, but I did not shoot well with it despite having it fitted and so the purchase was instantly regretted. So regret No.2.

I will not bore you with my other mistakes, which have been many, but leave you advise of your own regrets, if any of course.

Many thanks for reading about one or two of my many mistakes in life, and that's not to mention those unrelated to shooting !!!

I'm sure many of us, if not all, during our shooting lifetimes have bought, sold or part exchanged guns that we have later regretted. The gun bought on impulse as the next 'must have' that turned out to be totally unsuitable or the one that shot like a dream but was later sold on for something newer and regretted ever after.

We have all done it I'm sure, except of course 'The man with one gun' who of course should be looked upon with caution as he's the one who is totally at one and satisfied with his weapon, which is an automatic extension of his arm and he rarely misses !

So what have you either bought or sold and thereafter regretted ?

I will start this off by stating that I shot for years with an AYA 25 boxlock until such time that my shooting deteriorated and I blamed the gun. Little did I realise that over the years my eye dominance changed resulting in a poor performance. A visit to a shooting coach at the time would have highlighted this, come up with a solution and I would probably still have the gun today. So regret No. 1

Later on in life I started shooting with 16 bores, mainly side by sides, but fancied an over and under so purchased a Macnab Highlander 16 on impulse having previously shot with similar in 20 bore. This 16 was not true to scale as the Lincoln range and was on a 12 action, albeit that it felt OK in the shop, but I did not shoot well with it despite having it fitted and so the purchase was instantly regretted. So regret No.2.

I will not bore you with my other mistakes, which have been many, but leave you to advise of your own regrets, if any, of course.

Many thanks for reading about one or two of my many mistakes in life, and that's not to mention those unrelated to shooting !!!

My other regret is that I really should get into the habit of proof reading my missives before posting. Post now corrected I hope.

Many years ago xmas was coming I had two young children and I was skint .

To raise some extra cash I sold a 16 gauge sxs that had been given to me by my grandfather , it was not a gun I used often but had some sentimental value .

From the minute the guy walked out of the door I regretted letting it go .

Some years later I managed to track the guy down to who I had sold it and enquired if he would consider selling me it back .

He agreed as he said he was packing up shooting anyway and had not used the gun for years , he went to fetch the gun and came back with what can only be described as a pile of rust !.

I brought it anyway , cleaned it up and eventually had the gun re-blacked and some pits lapped out of the barrels.

Its not worth much at all but I will never part with it again , I normally use the gun once a year on what would have been my grandfathers birthday.

I regret having too many guns. It can be like a woman going to the wardrobe and saying " I've got nothing to wear thats suitable". If I only had a couple then there wouldn't be the >> Should I take the old AyA 4 because it looks like a wet day or the Browning or the Beretta 20 or the 28 # 2 or the XX1V or any if the others. I Have no favorite or hate non of them. shoot all of them fairly well but I wouldn't like to part with any of them. It would be like dismissing a friend because I had others.

Edited by fortune

Many years ago xmas was coming I had two young children and I was skint .

To raise some extra cash I sold a 16 gauge sxs that had been given to me by my grandfather , it was not a gun I used often but had some sentimental value .

From the minute the guy walked out of the door I regretted letting it go .

Some years later I managed to track the guy down to who I had sold it and enquired if he would consider selling me it back .

He agreed as he said he was packing up shooting anyway and had not used the gun for years , he went to fetch the gun and came back with what can only be described as a pile of rust !.

I brought it anyway , cleaned it up and eventually had the gun re-blacked and some pits lapped out of the barrels.

Its not worth much at all but I will never part with it again , I normally use the gun once a year on what would have been my grandfathers birthday.

That's a really touching story, and good that you were able to buy the gun back. There's no price that can ever be put on sentiment.

Good for you.

They're the type of stories that we can all relate to but not all of us experience.

Thanks for sharing.

A Winchester Model 12 in its original leather and canvas motor case is a gun I've often regretted letting go. It was a 'Goose' gun with a barrel as long as a drainpipe and choked full, but a thing of beauty.

I once bought a mint Winchester 101 Field model with 26 1/2" barrels. It handled like a dream and for bolting bunnies was sublime, and I killed some extremely memorable pheasants with it. I sold it to a mate who was just starting out ( don't ask me why ) and regretted it instantly, but the good news is I recently bought it back. :yes:

The worst gun I ever bought was a brand new Zoli Golden Falcon from Fawcett's in Lancaster. It was brought out to compete with the recently released Browning 425 series, and although I'd already owned and liked a Browning 325 I fancied something different and was assured that Zoli were 'going places' and they would become very desirable guns. It was a nice enough gun but it wasn't long before I realised Zoli weren't going anywhere and when it was time to trade it in I took a serious hit on it.

A beretta 682 silver action I exchanged it whilst young and stupid for the latest ported barrel black action 682.

Very similar spec but didn't like it very much, luckily managed to get my original gun back from the shop 2 months later, I won't part with it again and regularly still use it for everything and anything.

Following on from my original thread and nowhere near Fenboy's great story of his Grandfather's gun, I will bore you with the following :-

When about eleven, I found whilst scrabbling about in some bushes, a small stash of Netsukes ( small Chinese ivory carvings, pronounced Netskies for those unfamiliar), believed to be from a burglary probably during or shortly after the war. These were handed in, never claimed and so became mine.

However, my older brother realised the potential value of these and agreed to swap them for his single barrel Belgian folding .410, one of thousands made and as we all know were regarded as a poachers gun probably worth about £1 in those days.

This deal was made on the basis that he kept the Netsukes and did not sell them. He still has them to this day so kept to his word. There were eight of them and have been valued totally at £1000.

You are probably thinking that I got a bad deal, but the adventures I had with the little gun, stalking and potting rabbits, shooting rats in the garden from my bedroom window etc.etc. by far outweighs the value of those Netsukes.

The selling of rabbits to the village butcher covered the cost of the Eley Fourlong cartridges purchased from the local ironmongers and the licence 5 bob from the post office.

At secondary school I used to take the odd rabbit for Biology dissection lessons and received 3 bob and 3/6d if it had tapeworm as this was more interesting to the class. Just cannot see this happening today.

Those were the days !

But the best bit, I still have the little gun to this day, so it's at least 56 years old, probably nearer 80 I wondn't wonder.

No regrets over selling any gun.I have had many over the years if I don't get on with a particular gun then it goes but also if I like and get on with a gun it stays as a few of mine have been with me for many years now.As for buying one back no point really as the reason for selling in the first place will most likely still exist.

regret buying my first .243!

a PH 1100 lightwieght

horrible thing, fit me where it touched but otherwise managed to kick lumps out me every shot!

accurate enough but cursed....

replaced with a BRNO Fox Model 2 that I totally refurbed

shot like a dream

swallowed anything I fed it from 40gr to 60gr

sold it thinking I was upgrading with a Sako

its a very nice rifle but just fussy!

should never have sold the BRNO

Had a beretta 626 side by side beautiful gun, few years short of money and getting into rifle shooting and wanting a 17 hmr I traded it up for the 17 hmr and some cash. The .17hmr has long gone and regret letting the 626 go, wish I could get it back but hey ho, just stick with the aya no 4 Atm, unless I ever have any spare money in the future

A Franchi AL Hunter,biggest mistake ever fitted me like a glove and never skipped a beat.Worst purchase was a 2014 Hastan auto,1st cartridge in pressed the release button to send the carrier back and BANG!

I envy engine with a good AL Hunter,if it where a choice between a good clean sound AL and anything else the AL would win hands down.

Edited by Davyo

First regret was selling a lovely Beretta 303

Couldn't miss with it but part ex'd it for a Beretta 390, (my first brand new gun)

Couldn't hit a barn door with it and eventually sold it to markm off here,

Other regret was selling my Browning Ultra XS 30"

Had a bad couple of years and decided to treat myself to an Ultra XS Prestige 32"

Again never really got on with it but was trawling through gun trader 12 months later and came across my old XS at the original dealers, quick phone call later and 5 hour round trip and got it back,

I lost £500 overall but am a lot happier now I have it back again,

Never selling it again :)

:shaun: