Pretty young female

poontang

While giving my Barn Owl location a short break I've recently been watching a couple of young Kestrels on a local reserve. A great little spot with a couple of female Marsh Harriers, Buzzards and Kestrels being regular visitors.

Apart from the occasional walker the place is almost deserted so the birds are pretty much undisturbed...until I turn up!!

I've been struggling with the light recently, but managed to grab a few shots on Sunday of a lovely little Kestrel hunting around the waters edge. The light was pretty good for once, and the bird seemed totally unbothered by my presence.

It was the first time out with a new lens, and I'm pretty pleased with the results.

Here she is checking out the surroundings.

IMGP2752.jpg

Over the water.

IMGP2811.jpg

Just hanging around.

IMGP2909.jpg

Going in for the kill...she missed!!

IMGP2944.jpg

Back to square one.

IMGP3055.jpg

Floating around in the sunshine.

IMGP2754.jpg

It was a real pleasure to be so close to such a pretty, yet ruthless predator.

Guest rimotu66

Fantastic pictures of a beautiful bird :good:

The second pic looks as though she is looking at you and saying 'sod off, this is my gaff'

Edited by rimotu66

Thank you gentlemen :good:

Amazing! Well done you, I just wish i) I knew where to find them & ii) I had the patience. Mind, with retirement looming I may well learn both!

Chris, check out local birdwatching websites, they usually have a search facility to show when and where certain birds are showing. You'll need a bit of patience to start with, but most birds are creatures of habit so you'll soon work out the best times and places to see them. :good: