Wood burning stove.

JDog

This is one for all of the practical ones out there.

I over egged the size of the new wood burner. One of possibly 3kw would have done but I went for a 5kw one, a make and model I have had before.

The question is, when the room gets too hot and I dampen the stove down the glass blackens up with soot residue or whatever it is. How do I get this stuff off? White spirits and a scraper seem to be the only laborious option.

Scrunch up a sheet of newspaper, dip in water, dip in the fine ash left in the collecting tray. still needs to be rubbed but easy enough if done regularly. My wood burner has top and bottom vents and I only open the top one as this blows the air down the front of the glass helping to keep it clear.

Should have added use a soft cloth to polish after rubbing the wet ash off. :good:

Edited by hambone

make the grate smaller capacity...thats what i did with mine...put a house brick either side of the grate...mine have been there for 2 or so years.....the only way to stop it blacking up on the inside is to have it burning hot ..so you get good combustion ............

to get the soot off i use a brillo pad and water and dry off with kitchen roll...i have sometimes used a furiture polish spray on the inside which gives it a tempory coat to stop it blacking up ...but dosnt last very long......

Exactly the same, except I was given a huge 13kw double door hunter for free, which fitted the equally huge ex range cooker fire place, but was a bit mighty for a one bedroom flint cottage. Spent most of the winter asleep! I found that if I lit it, and got the glass slightly warm, then sprayed glass cleaner on and gave it a scrub with the scourer side of a washing up sponge it cleaned up a treat

Seem to be two separate topics going one. Black deposit is inefficient combustion so you are reducing your heat output by running the stove inefficiently and the by product is carbon deposit.

reducing the capacity of your stove with some thermal brick but running it up to temperature will reduce your heat output somewhat but will also reduce the time it takes to consume the smaller amount of wood you put in but wont deposit carbon.

The real solution is to size your fire properly in the first place, that's why they sell ranges of output. Sorry if it sound a bit trite but the wrong size fire will always be a compromise.

This might sound a bit daft but how dry are the kiln dried logs. Damp wood burned slowly might be the problem, I know that the first year I put the wood burner in I had to clean it a lot more. It might be worth trying to load the back of the stove and keep the wood away from the glass.

First answer nailed it. When u get it up to temp burn one log at a time to reduce the heat output somewhat and make sure the top vent is the only one supplying air. I have the same ie a 5kw where a 3kw would do and find that is all I need to do. At night I stoke it up a bit but I'm in bed and it don't matter if it's too hot in the living room.

Nooooo to the Brillo pad- will scratch the glass which allows the soot to adhere easier over time.

Best is dedicated woodburner glass cleaner or spray on oven cleaner like mr muscle.

We have to do ours every few days and it's a simple spray, wait then wipe to clear glass