Christmas bonus

kennett

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Because in my case, I am taxed at a higher bracket regardless of my situation, there is no 'bonus' to being self employed and I am a single income household.

The fact that people in jobs where you get paid extra for.....doing your job start moaning about it being taxable is ridiculous.

I think we are at cross purposes, I simply said it is when you appreciate how much the taxman takes because you see it as a single lump sum, it's not that I disagree with the paying of tax.

As an aside I think you are being way too simplistic in how you describe a bonus, undoubtably in some businesses the bonus culture is really all gravy, however for many the bonus is damn near exploitation in holding people's feet to the fire in order to achieve a reasonable income.

I'm self employed too.

I agree. Being self employed, am i right in saying that you also have to pay some tax up front?

I some banking roles you can put a few more noughts in there :lol:

Yup, 50% in January which is my quietest time of year.

Due to circumstances I have had to be on an agreement with them since I started, this year been paying £1256 a month.

Now add the mortgage, loans and credit cards I was left with by the ex and I have to earn around £3k to break even :no:

I think we are at cross purposes, I simply said it is when you appreciate how much the taxman takes because you see it as a single lump sum, it's not that I disagree with the paying of tax.

As an aside I think you are being way too simplistic in how you describe a bonus, undoubtably in some businesses the bonus culture is really all gravy, however for many the bonus is damn near exploitation in holding people's feet to the fire in order to achieve a reasonable income.

I'm self employed too.

Sorry, misunderstood you :yes:

When I was at Warburtons they took a percentage of net profit and shared it amongst the workforce,

It was dependant on length of service.

New starters got 1/2 share, up to 5 years 1 share and so on up to a maximum of 2 shares,

It used to be tax free, then it went to the first £1000 was tax free, then it changed to it all being taxed,

It was paid on the 15th of December which was nice,

When I left in 2008 and on my wages 1 share was £1k so my bit was £1500

It was very nice of them

:shaun:

In my old life (retired 9yrs now) used to get a good bonus and shares - best was £5000 of which HMRC took £2k (I was a 40% tax payer). Also got shares each year and walked away with £20k worth when I retired. Got a good pension - not a former banker - but now I get excited when I get winter fuel payment and my buss pass. I really feel for those who only get state pension but I suppose we all make our own luck and I did make good use of my 6 GCE's and a reasonably good grasp of mathematics.

We all must work harder next year so we can contribute more to those who are less fortunate than us.

In my old life (retired 9yrs now) used to get a good bonus and shares - best was £5000 of which HMRC took £2k (I was a 40% tax payer). Also got shares each year and walked away with £20k worth when I retired. Got a good pension - not a former banker - but now I get excited when I get winter fuel payment and my buss pass. I really feel for those who only get state pension but I suppose we all make our own luck and I did make good use of my 6 GCE's and a reasonably good grasp of mathematics.

It is true to say the harder you work the luckier you tend to become.

It is wot it says a bonus

For some people it is but others it is a major part of annual compensation.

In banking bonus are calculated on annual performance (but sometimes not paid until 5 years later). Hence the big job culls normally happen just before Christmas so that you don't have to pay a 'bonus' to those unfortunate ones.

The company i work for give all staff three bonus's a year which amounts to a months wage plus i get a target based bonus once a year but they normally set at a level they know we will not fully hit so only get part of it. Still trying to get a new gun out of it but SWMO tells me what i can use it for :sad1: .

The company i work for give all staff three bonus's a year which amounts to a months wage plus i get a target based bonus once a year but they normally set at a level they know we will not fully hit so only get part of it. Still trying to get a new gun out of it but SWMO tells me what i can use it for :sad1: .

You and me both! Any bonus i get gets paid straight into teh joint account :unhappy:

SWMBO is very generous though, i get to buy a " treat". This has been rifles in the past but daughter is about to sit common entrance exam so any cash will be spoken for if she passes. :sad1:

You and me both! Any bonus i get gets paid straight into teh joint account :unhappy:

SWMBO is very generous though, i get to buy a " treat". This has been rifles in the past but daughter is about to sit common entrance exam so any cash will be spoken for if she passes. :sad1:

Ah what you need is your secret 'boys' account. I have an account that I put a chunk of my bonus into. It funds shooting, women etc. Mind you I was nearly found out when we had to go through the finances with the bank for a mortgage. Managed to bluff my way out of it. Phew

Ah what you need is your secret 'boys' account. I have an account that I put a chunk of my bonus into. It funds shooting, women etc. Mind you I was nearly found out when we had to go through the finances with the bank for a mortgage. Managed to bluff my way out of it. Phew

Thanks for that, married to a Chartered Accountant so she sees all but will find a way- cash only storage in cabinet!

All income is taxable unfortunately. Unless you are a National of another EU country in which case you can opt to pay your tax in that country instead of in the UK. And of course they all do

Not sure that is correct. If they are non-res, non-Dom which means they are restricted to 90 nights, 180 days in the UK perhaps. Otherwise they would be classed as resident for tax purposes and pay tax here.

Not sure that is correct. If they are non-res, non-Dom which means they are restricted to 90 nights, 180 days in the UK perhaps. Otherwise they would be classed as resident for tax purposes and pay tax here.

Don't know, all I know is they all do it and have always done it, nobody actually knows how long they have been here anyway. Its EU law not British law. and they are called temporary workers I thought Non Doms were for people from outside the EU but again I don't think anyone checks up on them. Lots of buy to let landlords register as Non Dom but whether they are or not, who knows?

Edited by Vince Green

Don't know, all I know is they all do it and have always done it, nobody actually knows how long they have been here anyway. Its EU law not British law. and they are called temporary workers I thought Non Doms were for people from outside the EU but again I don't think anyone checks up on them. Lots of buy to let landlords register as Non Dom but whether they are or not, who knows?

You might be right on EU. However for non res you can't just claim it without scrutiny. I have been non res before when posted overseas and the amount of paperwork you need to provide is immense. You need to document your whereabouts and activities on a daily basis and be prepared to provide evidence of travel in/out of country. Trust me it is hassle. Perhaps HMRC just picked on me.

a whole £20 in vouchers,this year mine n her indoors got me a £100 pro spanner set reduced to to £37 in the sale.last year a pro socket set,its free and that,s the main thing.700 employee,s 20 quid each its a big spend for one place.

That's a good way to look at things :good:

In my last place we used to give everyone £30, not as a bonus simply a Xmas gift at the end of their last shift before the holiday. Some appreciated the gesture, but most grumbled that we were miserable ******* in only giving people £30.

Truthfully we would have had less grief had we given nothing.