And when it crashes, who's liable?

rodp

I believe there are different stages of 'driverless' cars, at one end the driver is fully responsible (the same as a tractor driver using auto steer)the top end (the google car) the driver has no responsibly. It is an interesting concept and it is truly the future (as long as you can be driven whilst drunk, by a self driving car).

I believe there are different stages of 'driverless' cars, at one end the driver is fully responsible (the same as a tractor driver using auto steer)the top end (the google car) the driver has no responsibly. It is an interesting concept and it is truly the future (as long as you can be driven whilst drunk, by a self driving car).

To drive you home drunk it would have to be totally autonomous , any emergency stop buttons would mean you are still in control and not drunk.

SO how many accidents / death will we accept to tweak the software ?

Most human drivers are good at adapting to unusual situations . The robot cars would/could only be used on nice safe pre surveyed routes so it could not bring you back from the pub.

I can't see it coping with a busy city centre on match day , a human driver would drive slowly along predicting when pedestrians would step out . Metal mickey's AI is just not up to that yet ( and for quite a while)

This predicting the real would is the great challenge for artificial intelligence at the moment.

This will be interesting, especially when it knocks a cyclist off because as we all know they're a very chilled and calm mob :lol:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-35511980

Obvious answer. It will be the cyclists fault. It will always be the cyclists fault. Can't believe this question even got asked. Cyclist ARE to blame for all negative happenings in the world.

Ps. I'm not a cyclist. I like V8's too much

+1 to that. I just wish our pals in blue would just get out there and have a week on cyclists! Any infringement of the highway code dragged up in front of the courts. I am sorry but such a huge proportion of them totally ignore the highway cose and them when something goes wrong it is anybody elses fault. They need to know they are not above the law.

David.

To drive you home drunk it would have to be totally autonomous , any emergency stop buttons would mean you are still in control and not drunk.

SO how many accidents / death will we accept to tweak the software ?

Most human drivers are good at adapting to unusual situations . The robot cars would/could only be used on nice safe pre surveyed routes so it could not bring you back from the pub.

I can't see it coping with a busy city centre on match day , a human driver would drive slowly along predicting when pedestrians would step out . Metal mickey's AI is just not up to that yet ( and for quite a while)

This predicting the real would is the great challenge for artificial intelligence at the moment.

not entirely correct im afraid....

Audi have been running with a piloted driving concept for the last 15 years, and have made ungodly advances in the way it all works.

their fleet of RS7's make the Google car look stupid...

see here: http://www.audi.com/content/com/brand/en/vorsprung_durch_technik/content/2014/10/piloted-driving.html

the cars can think for themselves, even in racing situations, and make judgements and corrections a damn sight faster than most humans ever could. the AI reads the road situations through camera's and GPS, even taking in to account how many pedestrians are about and how far away from the car they are at any given time. traffic negotiations are a doddle....

the second video on the link shows 'bobby' doing a hot lap of the hockenheim circuit at full race speed. I was lucky enough to be there for this (at Audi's expense) and was taken out in the car around the track. every manufacturer there was amazed by what it could do.

the tech is here, and works, but lawmakers are still unsure how to regulate for it. that's where the issue lies....

Some news from America on the driverless car.

Federal Government Will Treat Google’s Driverless Car System as a Legal Driver

http://recode.net/2016/02/09/federal-government-will-treat-googles-driverless-car-system-as-a-legal-driver/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

So if Google`s system is now the driver and they are seen as the legal driver. Does that mean the owner would only require fire and theft insurance?

• 3 weeks later...