Too Smart To Be A Cop

Danger-Mouse

A man whose bid to become a police officer was rejected after he scored too high on an intelligence test has lost an appeal in his federal lawsuit against the city.

The 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New York upheld a lower court’s decision that the city did not discriminate against Robert Jordan because the same standards were applied to everyone who took the test.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/court-oks-barring-high-iqs-cops/story?id=95836

So, what do you think, is the court correct? I do (sort of) understand their point but at the same time it`s clearly discriminatory and it`s quite possible that someone scoring outside the IQ norms may find police work to be their dream career and spend their whole life doing it.

My mate is a cop who trains recruits to become cops,

He is a thick as horse carp,

I often think the state of his recruits must be shocking ,

He's a jolly nice fellow, but as thick as 2 short planks,

Flynny

My mate is a Sargent and can't write lol

Looks like a spider dipped in ink and thrown on the paper..I often ask him what he's wrote as I can't understand it..

My mate is a Sargent and can't write lol

Looks like a spider dipped in ink and thrown on the paper..I often ask him what he's wrote as I can't understand it..

But can he spell ? Probably that is why he is a Sergeant then, very handy when asked to produce pocket book in Court !

I think being binned as you're over qualified is total ****!

You only need average academia, and good common sense to be a cop, at least in the UK.

If he was "over qualified", then why didn't they offer him accelerated promotion? Or maybe they don't do things like that in other countries??.....

The latest trend in only accepting candidates with degrees is laughable. I've seen "graduates" with all sorts of degrees, yet they just haven't got a clue when it came to prioritising work, and dealing with low life's when out on the streets. I'm not saying all are like that, but only recruiting degree graduates, just shows how out of touch the recruiting powers that be are.....

There is a certain Female A.C.C. with a degree in .................HISTORY. She used it to great effect as any who crossed her were HISTORY !

Not sure what you're saying, she has a degree, non are really suitable fully for policing, I have 2.5 degrees, non are history based, but I also get rid of people who don't perform.

Edited by kyska

There is a certain Female A.C.C. with a degree in .................HISTORY. She used it to great effect as any who crossed her were HISTORY !

There are loads of senior officers with degrees in all sorts of useful things like zoology and geography. Recruited straight out of university, never seen proper work, never managed anyhing, never had financial training and 8 or 9 years after gliding through the ranks dodging as much of front line duties as they can, they end up in charge of departments with staff of hundreds and a budget of millions. And we wonder why the police service is going to rat ****.

wot about this muppet-http://news.sky.com/story/1653557/man-held-after-death-of-petrol-doused-woman

off duty cop, spots a wanted man getting off a train in manchester-allegededly, he doused a woman in petrol-who later died from 70% burns.

called it in and armed cops detain him.

probably hasn't got two gcse's to his name.

f.

Quite the opposite of the UK. I am reliably informed that on some Advanced Police Driving Courses, they are accepting graduates only.

This is only because of excelerated promotion of graduates in the past. We're are all the streetwise coppers? Mostly retired or in thier last years before it

Like begats like

This is only because of excelerated promotion of graduates in the past. We're are all the streetwise coppers? Mostly retired or in thier last years before it

Like begats like

That is the problem Kent. There is a dearth of what we used to call 'thief catchers' people who didn't have to rely on CCTV, DNA or fingerprint evidence to fall into their lap. They would put themselves out and about, talk to some people who you wouldn't find at a police community meeting, and get the bad guys locked up. They are almost extinct. Now it is all about models and policies and meetings.

I once applied for a job as a trainee database developer with the County Council. I got through to the last 8 out of 80 applicants, which was more than any of the recently successful BTEC(IT) students managed. They gave the job to a girl who had been temping there as a typist, 'because they didn't want anyone who was too bright'.

Years ago I got a job which had a 5 week residential training course and was rather hard graft to get through the initial interviews, these included weird numerical and spacial awareness tests failure of which would have prevented your move to the next stage.

On the very first day of the course we were all a bit surprised to find one of our group was a chap who could only kindly be described as mentally special needs, I in fact had to step in a few times during the course to stop people abusing him and to remind them that he must have a condition with a name such as autism or asperger's syndrome (not in his ear shot of course).

On the very last day and a final test he was quietly taken aside and told he won't be allowed to start work despite having passed everything up to that point, I thought this despicable behaviour by the company and feel they should have stepped in on the first week and not waste this poor guys time.

We were told his score on spacial awareness was computer perfect which had helped his average on the written tests initially.

Anyway, this story is about American police isn't it ? They routinely beat people up or shoot them then make up stories afterwards so a certain lack of advanced intelligence can only be a good thing.

That is the problem Kent. There is a dearth of what we used to call 'thief catchers' people who didn't have to rely on CCTV, DNA or fingerprint evidence to fall into their lap. They would put themselves out and about, talk to some people who you wouldn't find at a police community meeting, and get the bad guys locked up. They are almost extinct. Now it is all about models and policies and meetings.

It's no different in most workplaces. You need a mix it's becoming my favourite stolen saying but " sometimes the old ways are the best"

Having exceptional intelligence doesn't mean that you have common sense or a heightened awareness of your surroundings. It can be quite the opposite. Really intelligent people doing stupid things because they spent their younger years with their heads stuck in books rather than experiencing the world isn't unheard of. Of course someone up the ladder may also see a future threat

Certain conditions labelled conveniently as a mental illness have traits that would be of immense benefit to certain types of employment if they could be properly matched to jobs requiring traits they possess?

Just what is common sense?

Just what is normal?

Just what is intelligence?

Where is the balance?