Dog shot dead

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if the dog owner saw the results of a dog attack they would realise how important it is to keep your dog under control, i saw 2 sheep that were attacked by pit bulls, the sheep were still walking about with their rear quarters eaten off, it looked like a lump of mice with legs.

Their cuddly dogs are'nt so cuddly when the owners see the damage they cause

Guest stevo

The woman said they heard two gun shots . And said why could they not have fired in the air as max hates the sound of gunshots or fireworks .

I would have thought one of the shots would have been in the air . Or a warning shot the second would have been the fatal shot .

Its very sad but i feel the owners need to take the brunt of the blame . We get it all the time people just let there dogs off across the fields while there chatting away without a care in the world . And when you ask them very nicly if they would be kind enough to keep a lead on there dogs as there is livestock in the next field . You just get sarcy comments . Dirty looks and 9/10 the old .... Oh its ok my bunnykins wouldnt hurt a fly .

I feel personally that 95% of the public have no respect for bounderies . Footpaths and take the countryside and the people that work and live in it so much for granted . Its a shame ...

I can remember in primary school being taught the countryside code .

Edited by stevo

When you see what dogs can do to sheep and somebodys livelihood it changes your opinions

At this time of year many are yet to lamb so a dog could wipe out this season's lambs before they are even born via fear miscarriages

Saw my worst ever case last year the worst the farm has ever known and we are talking three generations

When you see what dogs can do to sheep and somebodys livelihood it changes your opinions

At this time of year many are yet to lamb so a dog could wipe out this season's lambs before they are even born via fear miscarriages

Saw my worst ever case last year the worst the farm has ever known and we are talking three generations

This happened just down the road from me. These dogs are very popular around where I live, but unfortunately a great deal of the owners understanding of them doesnt get past having a nice looking dog.

Pleased to see the supportive comments below the article.

I'm sorry but the farmer has to protect his livestock it his livelihood sad loss to both but dog owners must understand a farmer doesn't go out looking for dogs to shoot but he will shoot a dog chasing his animals if a sheep is attacked if in lamb it will abort then the farmer will loose not one but two my sympathy goes solely to the farmer

The law is quite clear on live stock owners rights in these matters. Some of these dog owning numpties fail to realise that dog ownership ,and the right to roam carry responsibilities for those privileges. Yesterday on a back road I passed a woman on a bicycle with 3 dogs, similar to those in the above article, on leads and they were all over the place. There was a van nearby ,with occupants, carrying lettering advertising dog walking services. The person on the bike was clearly a danger to herself, the dogs and other road users but no doubt thought she was well within her rights.

Blackpowder

I hope the farmer goes on to sue the dog's owner for the loss of his sheep and any vet fees he may have to pay.

According to comments sent in by readers of her local newspaper, she had been warned by the farmer before. According to one post, her 'friendly, wouldn't hurt a fly' dog, had already killed a Swan and a fawn. I'm not sure if this is true or not. Click on the link to the newspaper and read the comments posted. 99.9% are in favour of the farmer's actions.

This happened just down the road from me. These dogs are very popular around where I live, but unfortunately a great deal of the owners understanding of them doesnt get past having a nice looking dog.

Pleased to see the supportive comments below the article.

Yeah i was surprised to see so many supportive comments too!

Seems like to many other dog owners around me they let theyre dogs off and blether for a while with no idea where there 'beloved' pet is! How long must it have been at his sheep for, you have to wonder given hes had the time to go get his gun.

Shame the farmers still lost stock.

Yeah i was surprised to see so many supportive comments too!

Seems like to many other dog owners around me they let theyre dogs off and blether for a while with no idea where there 'beloved' pet is! How long must it have been at his sheep for, you have to wonder given hes had the time to go get his gun.

Shame the farmers still lost stock.

Most of the farmers I know, carry a shotgun/rifle when out on their quads/vehicles.

O' dear some people never learn, as I've said on this forum before common sense isn't common in your average member of the public,

Here in North Wales (snowdonia) there is a zero tolerance towards dogs that worry any live stock.

Most of the farmers I know, carry a shotgun/rifle when out on their quads/vehicles.

Not round the home counties they don't, can't remember the last time I saw a farmer with a gun. That was the very first thing I thought when I read the article, this is not a one off, the farmer was waiting for it

Not round the home counties they don't, can't remember the last time I saw a farmer with a gun. That was the very first thing I thought when I read the article, this is not a one off, the farmer was waiting for it

Almost all of the farmers I know round home carry guns in their vehicles when working, and the incident in the report took place less than 5 miles from where I live.