Thundery Showers

Since my Daughter decided to go back to work after her two children we have become child minders four days a week, which is not a problem but has ment it cramps your style. So on Thursday Grandad took the kids for a ride in the country to see the sheep!!!!. This allowed me to view a few fields prior to Fridays shooting. I found a good number on the spring rape with a classic out of town flightline , none on the barley but others on a mystery crop.

So we set out on Friday at 11.30 straight to the spring rape only to find no birds !!!. It was about 12.30 and I had viewed it at 15.00 the day before. We watched it for twenty minutes and five birds crossed so we set up. Just as we had it all out it rained for twenty minutes and it was all soaked. The sun came out and we shook the decoys to dispell any water and they started to come. We shot till 17.30 as DB had the curry booked and in that time we had two other heavy rain storms but we picked up seventynine pigeons and one Jackdaw.

Saturday we started out at 10.00 in blistering sunshine and I drove out to the mystery crop I had passed the day before, It was a mystery as I had to drive past in the search of a Loo for the youngster who would not do a " Campers " behind the hedge. As I drove past I could see birds committing to the field in numbers. The Mystery Crop was in fact sheep turnips and as we drove up we must have lifted one hundred and fifty birds off the field. We sorted out the farmer and set up on a section of the field the birds wanted to be but this was an awkward place to shoot with a road on the right. We set up with twelve birds from the day before on cradles and waited for them to return, it took thirtyfive minute for the first one to come back which DB shot I then had a classic two birds came over the hide each side from the back and banked to come back to the decoys and they crossed , One shot , Two birds down. Then it rained for at least fifteen minutes which made the field run off , the decoys looked like paper mache. The sun came out and the field started to steam which hid the decoys. During the day we had four other heavy rain showers and the sun returned but not the pigeons. We stopped shooting at 18.00 and collected the birds into a " Fenland " pose with seventy seven in the pile. During the debrief on the way home we should have perhaps called it a day earlier and found new birds but " Hind Sight" is a wonderful thing.

ab3ea453-649c-4191-9250-a3e135685134_zps

2e3c6d9b-2a4b-40af-ac16-c64aa78a2736_zps

'Mystery crop?' Where is all that agricultural knowledge that comes with years of looking for pigeons?

I am delighted that you are now using the 'retro' or 'Fenland' style of presentation.

Good going by the way and well persevered in the storms.

I admire your dedication to sit it out in these heavy showers , I must be getting a bit of a wimp as everywhere is getting wet down the marsh and the first sign of rain I make a hasty retreat in my motor for fear of getting stuck in the water logged ruts.

It didn't take you long to imitate our way of laying the bag out , I am afraid it would take me a lot longer to imitate the way you lay your bag out . :lol: