Sportsman Fitness

The Heron

We were having a break at work the other day when the conversation turned to the physical fitness of different sports, one of my fellow workers said that you had to be fit to walk around an 18 hole golf course after we had all stopped laughing we came up some ideas, personally like him or not I think Andy Murray has to be one of the fittest sports man around along with F1 drivers and rowers as for footballers my **** on a different note I think Rita Ora is pretty fit as well :yes: .

That's it, (where I've been going wrong)

I just haven't been able to find the right sport for my type of fitness :)

So far I've tried,

the gym, - far to hot and sweaty

swimming, - well, OK OK bobbing around

walking, - to the pub/mc Donald's, the chippy

cycling - again hot and sweaty and needs an engine

That's it, (where I've been going wrong)

I just haven't been able to find the right sport for my type of fitness :)

So far I've tried,

the gym, - far to hot and sweaty

swimming, - well, OK OK bobbing around

walking, - to the pub/mc Donald's, the chippy

cycling - again hot and sweaty and needs an engine

Try darts or snooker

Motocross is reckoned to be one of the most physically demanding sports.

Boxing would have to be up there. Most sports don't involve an opponent trying to knock you out.

I remember Jackie Stewart doing well in the Superstars competitions - I hadn't realised how fit racing drivers were - Jenson Button is a current example.

I raced moto-x and quad- x which was pretty demanding. Bullying a 150 kg bike around a rough track with big jumps used to be a killer particularly early in the season.

I had to get a special ledge built into the back of the seat to try and stop the strain on my back when accelerating. Don't miss it one bit!

Edited by Nmb

Sheep shearing. Yes, for all you sarfeners, that's shearing.

Got the last 60 of my uncle's finished off today. Along with a 6 mile run with some friends this morning (shoutout to any other Denbigh Harriers on here, or any other runners actually) and getting 2 coats of masonry paint on my freshly re-rendered chimney.

Knackered.com

Edited by robbiep

There are different types of fitness and there's always a trade off so it's like comparing apples and oranges I.e sprinter vs marathon runner, I think most fight a sports I.e boxing/mma are up there for all rounders as they need endurance, power and strength coupled with mental toughness to keep going not just when tired but also getting beat up

A bit of a quote from Wikipedia "fitness is attributed to personnel who possess significant aerobic or anaerobic ability, i.e. strength or endurance"

so for each individual whither he is cycling the Tour de France, running a marathon playing rugby etc etc etc it will vary significantly.

As a couch potato tour de France spectator I think these guys are pretty much at the top of the list to be able to do what they do day after day but again so is the likes of rugby players taking a battering week after week.

I think its all subjective.

No pastime which involves the casual use of a gun, most of the shooters I come across are right biffers!

lol quite true. The same can`t be said of bi-athletes though, they have serious levels of fitness.

Decathletes and heptathletes must be up there in all round athletic ability.

Tri-athletes are certainly some of the fittest. It`s also a popular event for training amongst other sportsmen. I know Jenson and the Diaz brothers from MMA are all keen competitors in those events.

i second the triathlete posts. Requires a level of all around fitness that is way above that of most sports. My brother does Iron Man events and he is the fittest person I know.

Well Jenson Button must be the fittest around then,

Not only an F1 driver but also a competitive Triathlete as well

:shaun:

I think each sport has differing requirements in terms of fitness, a marathon runner or fell runner would need excellent endurance. A sprinter or power lifter needs explosive strength. Boxers as an example would need a mix of both (try doing 3 minutes on a punch bag).

Other factors come in to play like co-ordination and balance.

Many years ago we had a Staff v's Works Rugby leage match at an engineering company where I worked.

The Staff Side (office staff) were all quite fit guys many played football or squash etc. So cardiovascular fitness should have been no problem.

The works side (craftsmen) were mostly unfit but strong men, working with their hands all day lifting and carrying.

The works side were considerably larger but had nowhere near the fitness or speed of the Staff side.

The largest factor was the ability for the works side to take a good knock and get back up and carry on. Many on the staff side once having recieved a good tackle struggled to get back into the game.

The result was 38-0 to the Works

Suprisingly enough there was no foul play.

Ps. I played open side prop for the Works :whistling: