****** Mice

scotslad

Has anyone got any top tips for keeping mice away??

Got 1 of those ultra sonic things, it was the more expensive 1's that alternates its frequancy or something. It seems to have done the job the last 2 years

There is no food for them where there bothering me, althou they got into my bird food container outside as well

I have trapped a few but if i'm honest i don't like trapping them, would rather try and keep them away if i could.

Not keen on posining them as got a few owls around

If i have to trap wot's the best bait? Have been catching them with cake crumbs at minute but could do with something a bit better, ideally something that will stay on the traps a while.

Also i'm just using ur classic little nipper trap, i'm thinking of attaching some ply to 3 sides to force the mice in the right way to save me having to box them in where i set them. Does anyone else do that

We live in an old farmhouse, and there is an old granary that is only used for storage attached to one end. We were plagued with mice when we first moved in, eating all the pipe insulation in the loft. I got some of the black plastic traps that sound like dorianbuilders suggests, they have a cage to hold the bait. I used peanut butter, and I lost count of how many mice we trapped, somewhere around a hundred! We have been mice free for months now, bait not touched and no droppings. They are so easy to set as well, you just squeeze the back of it to set it - no trapped fingers!

Mike.

You'll either have to trap and kill the mice or live with them. Get a small plastic tool box from Wilko's and two of these mouse traps or similar.........

http://www.ratbait.co.uk/snap-e-mouse-trap-751-p.asp

Screw the traps into the box, side by side, facing the same way, and not touching. Drill two holes in the back of the box just above the hinge of the traps. Fasten a long tie-wrap around the larger bar of the trap, the one that will kill the mouse. Take the end of the tie wrap over the smaller bar, the one that lock into the trigger plate, and through the hole. Drill a 1" hole in both sides of the trap furthest away from the front of the traps.Then glue or screw pieces of 1" x 1" or similar suitable wood to direct the mice to the front of the traps. smear some peanut butter in the cup of the trap and also on the side of the box at the back of the trap. Close the box, pull the straps until you hear a click and the trap is set. Put it alongside a wall so the tabs of the tie-wraps are outwards and the holes of the box are next to the wall.

Check the traps simply by looking at the tie-wraps. You can put a tab of electrician's tape on to make that easier. If a trap or traps have been activated you can take the box to a suitable place and empty the casualties just by tipping the box to one side and pulling the tie-wrap to release the trap. Then reset and replace. No need to touch the mice or mess about with the traps. Click and set! Replace the bait every week or so.

You can make larger versions with bigger traps for rats.

You get the small plastic traps from aldi thats already baited by scent you only ever need to set them and empty them , then i use the normal nipper trap with chocolate or cheese for bait just melt it on them with a lighter so they have to pull at the bait and they hardly miss and you get a clean kill

Thick i'll go with he brick 1 :lol:

So i take it there is no deterrent that really works then?

Lie i said this plug in thing has worked for a few years with no mice, either these ones have gt used to it or its a good mice year. 1 of my mutts has been going mad for last wee while digging under stuff for mice

To be honest its a sort of outbuilding so i would just about put up with them, but using it as a store the now so got some clothers and all sorts stored in there the now as well as electrical cables so just don't want things chewed. Chewed my chainsaws priming bulb 2 yrs ago but that was a different shed. *******

Think i'll try the peanut butter route, less likely to eat it all myself, tried chocolate a while back but only had a dairy milk and couldnse get it on the spike.

I keep a few bags of dog food on a pallet in the shed and under it i have about 4 nipper traps and a few bags of poison i dont catch mice all year round with the traps seems to come and go in spates but far better to have the traps set and no catch anything than rushing to get traps after you notice theres a mouse problem

Aye big bob i know where u are coming from, though about having the traps set ages ago before i had the mice but thought the bait would mibee actually attract them in.

Must admit never thought about the bird feeders, mind 1 nite i could just about make out 3 mice hanging off the peanut feeder, had to climb up a thin stick and then balance along a board to get to it.

Tried to tak some pictures but just to dark.

I always have traps set outside the garage door of the basement, by the bird feed bins and inside my fishing cupboard where my bait is. Better to kill the scouts than have to try and deal with a family that has become resident. Sometimes you don't notice the signs until they are well established. Any time soon the rats will migrate out of the fields and start to look for new homes in compost bins, sheds and houses. It happens every October.

a bit bacon rind and fuse wire they have to pull at it than snap also we have used glue mats very good :good:

Glue traps are okay provided you remember to kill them when you find them. A lot of people apparently assume they are dead because they are motionless and just chuck them in the bin. I can't imagine a worse fate than that.

Going to ask a stupid question here (not like me :whistling: ) would a mouse trap damage a red squirrel?

Store my bird food in a big IBC drum with the top cut off for a lid, i never really thought i had much bother with mice in there but prob would be a good idea to set some traps in there once i get them cleared out.

But got a cheeky red squirrel that prefers to climb in there to get peanuts than the various feeders that are far handier. Would hate to trap it by a foot or break its jaw or something like that

They have just started to move into my outbuildings and garage. Caught three in traps this week. I use the old fashion, modernised BIG CHEESE traps that have a yellow plastic make believe piece of cheese for the treddle. I just smear peanut butter onto and into the holes in that and three days three mice. Just reminded me, been out shooting today so must check first thing in the a.m. Peanut butter is good because you can smear it on the trap and unlike a 'piece' of something it is not easily taken, snatched without a kill. Yes, they are appealing little creatures but let them get into your engine compartment of your car, mower, tractor etc., things can get very expensive quickly. In my opinion a cat is a waste of space and needs feeding and vets fees and spend more time killing our young songbirds, where traps don't, other than a smear of peanut butter

Edited by Walker570

Going to ask a stupid question here (not like me :whistling: ) would a mouse trap damage a red squirrel?

Store my bird food in a big IBC drum with the top cut off for a lid, i never really thought i had much bother with mice in there but prob would be a good idea to set some traps in there once i get them cleared out.

But got a cheeky red squirrel that prefers to climb in there to get peanuts than the various feeders that are far handier. Would hate to trap it by a foot or break its jaw or something like that

Make it squirrel proof but leave a half inch gap somewhere handy for the mouse, that is more than enough for a mouse to get through, probably half that.