Tactical Torches

nabbers

Keep seeing ads on facebook etc for 'Tactical Torches'. one can be used to set fire to stuff it is so powerful!

I fancy getting one to spot wildlife at night and as a general torch, any recommendations? Things seem to have come a long way since Maglights, but I am frequently disappointed when I buy Chinese stuff online.

I got one off ebay only a cheep one about £12 gives a good light but does not get hot one thing that really bugs me is cyclist have them mounted on the front of there bikes and even in daylight you cannot look at them at several hundred meters away it would not be so bad if they had them pointing at the ground say 10m from the front of the bike.

Keep seeing ads on facebook etc for 'Tactical Torches'. one can be used to set fire to stuff it is so powerful!

Their is no LED torch that can set things on fire, be very wary of a supplier who claims such things.

The laser that supposedly sets things on fire is another one,if such a thing was feasible,it would be classed as a weapon and banned.

But some of the good old fashioned halogen spotlights would if u had them on for a decent period then left them face down on ur seat. Them built up some heat and could/would occasionally melt stuff if left the wrong way.

The led lights are amazing for there size but i must admit i still prefer the old fashioned spotlights as there a more widespread less intense beam,, great for spotting stuff without spooking them. some of the led beams are just so intense and concentrated (but u don't get moderator glare the way u used too in ur scope)

Their is no LED torch that can set things on fire, be very wary of a supplier who claims such things.

The laser that supposedly sets things on fire is another one,if such a thing was feasible,it would be classed as a weapon and banned.

I saw a video on Facebook for a USA supplier of a survival torch, they were holding it close to paper and dry grass and it was definitely catching fire....I don't actually think that is a good thing, but I do want a really bright but compact torch! Thanks for the ideas so far!

I saw a video on Facebook for a USA supplier of a survival torch, they were holding it close to paper and dry grass and it was definitely catching fire....I don't actually think that is a good thing, but I do want a really bright but compact torch! Thanks for the ideas so far!

Like I said be wary of a supplier that makes claims about torches ,and lasers that do 'incredible ' things.

The youtube vids of lasers (made to look like light sabres!) setting wood and tissue paper on fire ,are in my opinion fake.

Buy the most powerful laser you can,point it at a thermometer ,and tell me how hot it gets,be sensible.

I've got a few torches for different uses and won't go near cheap Chinese stuff due to unreliable lumens claims and potentially unsafe chargers.

I've got these 3:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/torches/7877478/

https://olightworld.com/product/m18-striker/

http://www.torchdirect.co.uk/olight-torches/olight-m20sx-javelot-led-torch.html

All are really bright and can easily light up 200m worth of field.

The M18 is the size of a cigar but really bright. The M20 is a bit bigger but is a smaller and brighter version of the Xplorer.

All use 18650 x1 or CR123A x2.

Can't fault any of them.