What's for Christmas Dinner?

lord_seagrave

A normal roast.most likely pork or beef.the beasts don't have a holiday at Christmas so it's just another day.

Ah, we'll have over winter beast, but not mine anymore, so just a walk through the sheep for me.

Edit, I shouldn't of said that with glee should I? I'll be out for hours with some massive problem now

Edited by kyska

Its all a bit of a let down these days.Before we came to France we would go up to the Ennerdale Country House Hotel up in the Lake District for a wonderful three day Christmas break paid for by my Wife's company. We haven't got family over here so it is usually Christmas dinner at some friend's house and then New Year's Eve at ours, but its not the same as having a hotel break. Knowing our friend who is hosting the Christmas dinner it will be a traditional turkey and sprouts type of affair.

I love sprouts. Lady S is indifferent, and Little Lord S is not a fan, so Christmas is my excuse to go in all 'Vicar of Dibley'! :lol:

The glaze for the ham is simply a good dollop of damson jam and a good slosh of soy sauce mingled together and smeared all over. Brilliant. Salty and sweet and delicious. So simple and so satisfying.

If I'm feeling dangerous I'll get that jar of cloves out from the back of the cupboard. I cannot think of anything Lady Seagrave would less like in her mouth.

LS

I love sprouts. Lady S is indifferent, and Little Lord S is not a fan, so Christmas is my excuse to go in all 'Vicar of Dibley'! :lol:

The glaze for the ham is simply a good dollop of damson jam and a good slosh of soy sauce mingled together and smeared all over. Brilliant. Salty and sweet and delicious. So simple and so satisfying.

If I'm feeling dangerous I'll get that jar of cloves out from the back of the cupboard. I cannot think of anything Lady Seagrave would less like in her mouth.

LS

Steady soldier.....

Christmas has changed and now the girls are all partnered up we have to share their time with other families. This year they are all away to the other families so it is just mother in law, wife and me at home + spaniel. We might get one of the son in laws down in the afternoon because his wife,daughter #4 is a staff nurse and is working Christmas day. We have been out for Christmas dinner before at a local hotel which was ok but it was just a collection of people who didn't want to cook ect. The dinner was ok and the staff were good but it was just going out for a Sunday lunch with crackers ect. Now Boxing day is going to be a different thing because all of the clan is on standby and we usually have up to 14 people +3 dogs for the day. It's cranky, crowded and tiring but there's never been any ruffled feathers and I just tell everyone that when they've had enough they can go. Because there are so many Taste's we have Turkey crown, beef, gammon and pheasant with all of the veg and two or three different stuffings and all of the stuff that goes with it. Then there are the puddings . We try to get out with the dogs in the afternoon and some come and some keel over. The time soon goes by and then there is round two. The wife and I do the initial cooking and the girls help set up. the boys do the serving. In some ways it is really good but the way we over eat and drink is bad. Still everyone seems to like it and be happy and they keep coming back without any nastiness and long may it continue.

PS I try to get up the end of the table out of the way. The girls have a bit of a go at me for keeping out of the way but I tell them that they are there to get practice at looking after me for a change.

Edited by fortune

hello, on christmas day like i have done for the last 6 years will be out piking on the river i love near me Old Father Thames, i get the best spot in the sun (hoping) chuck a bait out and with a few hours yaffle a few sandwiches and fruit cake (bit like me) with a flask of hot coffee laced with stones ginger wine oh and a nice cigar. i do not care if old piky does not bite or get asked for the umpteenth time caught anyfink mate as i have made another year in my life and look forward to the next one,

Invited to daughter for Christmas Day, not an early start due to going to church at midnight with the scents of booze, incense and pot. She is cooking a turkey crown, I offered a pigeon starter but this was declined, a few ciders and wine and picture of me asleep in my Christmas jumper on Facebook . Boxing Day I drag them out for a country walk.

Invited to daughter for Christmas Day, not an early start due to going to church at midnight with the scents of booze, incense and pot. She is cooking a turkey crown, I offered a pigeon starter but this was declined, a few ciders and wine and picture of me asleep in my Christmas jumper on Facebook . Boxing Day I drag them out for a country walk.

Sounds like a very liberal church.