.22 semi question??

bazzab

Hi all.

This is just an idea I'm toying with at the moment.

I am considering buying a semi auto 22lr. I have a bolt action cz already that I'll keep.

I've read the semi can be loud and sonetime Jam. Been looking at the 10/22 ruger. Seem to be able to get them very cheap.

Will more then likely be used from the car on bunnies with nv.

What's people's thoughts, experiences etc?

Many thanks

Bazza

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As above. Semi auto's are prone to jamming. I had a Ruger 10/22 which, when used with Winchester sub sonic ammunition, would jam (did not clear the spent case) in probably one in 15 bullets. To reduce the sound of the bolt, I fitted one of the aftermarket buffer stops, which worked well. The 10/22 is a brilliant little rifle and if looked after, will last you for many 1000's of shots. Keeping it clean is the name of the game. There's also loads of other aftermarket accessories etc. One very worthwhile improvement is to change the wood stock to a Hogue over moulded one.

I've heard mixed reports for accuracy if them which really put me off.

If you got a dud and it was easy to take back and get a new one etc I wouldn't mind but with our firearms laws it's such a faff your worried you'll get a duff one and be months to sort it out.

With regard to the Ruger 10/22, I have owned 5 in the last 20+ years and have never had a problem with accuracy. It's true that you cannot beat a bolt action, but for general vermin control, they are very good.

I have a 1966 BRNO Semi Auto and it is very accurate. In fact it really does impress me how well it shoots still considering its age! However it is prone to jamming which can be frustrating given its accuracy. The action can be noisy as well in comparison to a bolt action which if picking off the rabbits can be a large negative.

I enjoy stripping it and understand your train of thought there but unless you can find one that does not jam I would steer clear. I think CZ are now making a new semi auto so that may be worth researching.

I have a 1966 BRNO Semi Auto and it is very accurate. In fact it really does impress me how well it shoots still considering its age! However it is prone to jamming which can be frustrating given its accuracy. The action can be noisy as well in comparison to a bolt action which if picking off the rabbits can be a large negative.

I enjoy stripping it and understand your train of thought there but unless you can find one that does not jam I would steer clear. I think CZ are now making a new semi auto so that may be worth researching.

Indeed the Cz 512 I think.

Looks better than the 511 but I have read mixed reviews

I have got a old 22 self loading Krico, with the intention to buy a bolt action 22 lr for the ‘proper’ work, however the Krico will clover leaf at 55 yards and it not overly noisy, I am so impressed I would not even consider a bolt action now. Personally I think people get carried away. A 22lr is a 90-100 yard tool and an inch is plenty good enough, much the same as people spending hundreds even thousands on airguns which at 12ft lb can only ever practically and consistently be used out to 40 yards (A £100 springer will do 95% of the time).

I can only agree with the comments regarding 10/22's jamming. mine wasn't used for hunting but for gallery rifle and it jammed frequently for some reason it was worst on CCI MiniMags. also had a .22 AR15 clone from southern gun company and that was probably one of the most unreliable guns I ever owned for stoppages. personally I wouldn't use one for hunting especially at night.

Of all the semis ,I always thought the 10/22 s were least prone to jamming ,compared to some of the 'newer' sport rifles.

Helps if you dont use sub sonics,as occasionally they dont have the legs to completely put the bolt back.

And thats the only issue,but then for hunting subs are a must really.

My Sig cycles anything but the 50 ft lb super quiets,but tends to foul up after about 50 rnds of subs,resulting in a 'light 'hammer hit.

But can be cleared and cleaned in less than a minute.

Strangely though the ISSC 22 ,which is cheap and not well thought of ,has been the most reliable ,at our club anyway.

At the end of the day it depends what ranges and positions you need to be shooting from,I use the Sig off a bipod at 80 yards max and its extremely effective.

If I need to extend the range the HMR comes out,but youve got a long wait between shots.

I avoided the 10/22 because first hand experience of two mates rifles showed they were very prone to jamming and hopelessly inaccurate to boot. I have had a Remington YellowJacket now for a few years and initially found it wouldn't cycle Winchesters but was fine with CCI subs, after having it worked on by a gunsmith it now feeds even Winchesters well so long as I only load up to 7 rounds in the magazine so the weak link is more or less the mag anyway.

After shooting around 800 rounds without any cleaning whatsoever over several weeks I eventually gave up and cleaned the gun just to pass the time, it is near flawless with CCI and accurate too.

Many moons ago I remember having a mega plinking session with my then new Brno bolt action which was accurate to shoot but if memory serves me well it started to become near impossible to cycle the rounds in after around 500 shots due to dirt build up and would only work again properly once the bolt was removed and cleaned. The Remmy in contrast is even more reliable if you think about it !

Edited by Hamster

Iv got a remington speedmaster 22lr sa it will fire anything and accurate too

I had one of those.

I asked my RFD if he would take a SA in part ex, he said yes as long as it isn't a Speedmaster. I handed it in at the cop shop. Good to hear you like yours but mine was rubbish.

To be fair a lot of 10/22s jam because they have been disassembled and reassembled by people who don't know how to do it properly. However, some are fussy and some are not.

Buy a 10/22 and it becomes a project, new hammer, new trigger, new springs, new firing pin, new barrel, new mag release etc. The CZ semis are getting a very good reputation for accuracy and reliability

iv got a Walther G22 that iv used as my truck gun/general plinker at the range and, although not to everyones taste ;) , its a pretty good little gun,

keep its chamber clean and its a handy, very short and light gun, more than accurate enough for lamping rabbits and not particularly noisy,

cleaning it however is a bit fiddly until you have done it a few times and the trigger is nasty (by design it could never be nice!!!) but can be improved cheaply but virtually no aftermarket bits available unlike a 10/22

i had a 10/22 that ended up like the woodmans axe........virtually no original ruger left :lol::lol: