End of Game Season

scolopax

Just got in from our yearly outing up to Devon with over night stay. Great days shooting yesterday and a heavy night. Beating Monday Wednesday and Thursday. Shooting Friday and Saturday, beaters days Tuesday and Wednesday.

not a great many folk can say 'up to Devon' and mean it

I have had probably one of the best seasons of my life. Met many new friends and some great people and at the end of the day that is what it is all about. A good days shooting just puts the cream on the cake. Had the last syndicate day yesterday, with a bag of over 80 birds AND I have to admit I should have added another ten or more to that :no::unhappy::lol: but that's how it goes. My excuse is I was taking my old 110yr 16 gauge for a walk and not my usual 410 and the difference in the swing and weight was amazing. Like my old teacher used to say " Could do better ". Have a nice invite this coming Friday and then will help as best I can to give the beaters and pickers up a great day on Saturday and chip in to see they don't go hungry and thirsty at the after shoot gathering. What would we do without them?

Here's to another great season in 2017/18.

Now to fit in a few afternoons pigeon roost shooting which I believe is as testing as any pheasant shooting, but don't let on or everyone will want to have a go :good::yes:

I've done nothing this season, beating or shooting due to a unforeseen investment in eventing horses which seems to turn mass piles of money into faeces at an incredible rate and use up so much of my time I'm looking for a working tardis on the bay.

Have a walk about Sat and next Tues/Wed for game and finishing work early to do a pond every evening till the end of the fowl.

Possible 100 bird day but doubtful because of work but will see.

Been a great season again with all 6 ponds producing great shooting and woodcock have been good too.

I've done nothing this season, beating or shooting due to a unforeseen investment in eventing horses which seems to turn mass piles of money into faeces at an incredible rate and use up so much of my time I'm looking for a working tardis on the bay.

Farmer who's land I shoot over says the horses are his wife's............. Until the vet needs calling then they seem to belong to the farm..

What's the saying how do you end up with a small fortune, start with a large fortune and get into horses.

I have onedriven day left and hoping to get a couple of flights in on the marsh.

Edited by figgy

Got back from abroad on Wednesday evening then had the last day at mine on Thursday and got a reasonable bag considering they had shot on the Saturday previous. I was beating on Friday then had an invite to a day on Saturday which was a fun day wiith good company albeit the birds played hard to get. Today was hopper checking at mine then tomorrow another day driven game on a fully keepered shoot. Tuesday and Wednesday are both beaters days on the same estate. So all in all, a busy last week!

Beater's day on Saturday ruined by Hare coursers going round shoot early morning. 1 pheasant 2 partridge.

Tues took Dutch group for walk-up. Three chaps and their wives, never seen Harkila looking so good :whistling: 2 pheasant 2 partridge.

Weds did a walk up with a couple of the guns and got a cock pheasant each :) . Nice end to the season.

I have two to go to first one is a full day with lunch and dinner and the second is a walk one stand one affair with food!

Well they both turned out to be full driven days with all the hospitatlity, absolutely wonderful.

185 on Monday and 76 on Wednesday.

Glad I dressed accordingly and took a few gifts along, amazing how well received a plant and a box of After 8s can be.

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE