semi auto on a game shoot

kody

I think hammer guns would be, if not more dangerous than semi auto's ... earlier posters commented about O/U's with extended chokes pillow casing birds at 20 ft Unfortunately you witness that at all shoots (even with a pair of 50k Purdeys!) If a shotgun is choked to 1/4 and 1/2, then the spread will be the same whether its from a powder burner to a Krieghoff! Unfortunately the Berk at the end of the trigger should know better as to when to pull it.

Also, how do we know a £40 SxS is safe and in proof? I wouldn't fancy the pain from shooting an ill fitting 28'' with no butt pad and 32gram cartridges. BUT if it 'respects' the birds, that's OK then..

To be legally sold it must be in proof and safe, chances are it will be just as ill fitting as ur SA is unless ur SA's stock was custom fitted to the shooter.

There are penty of fairly tidy guns at knock down prices as no one wants them nowadays, u'd pick up a fairly tidy/new baikail for that money, even older O/U aren't that expensive if ur not buying a top brand.

Just modern life/way of things no one really wants 2nd hand gear anymore.

My prevoius sxs was a side lock in good nick for £300

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a SxS kicks it ain't a good fit. My sarasqueta has no more recoil than any of my OU.

As for tradition, I too am a full tweed breeks garters brigade. Tradition must be upheld my good man

True, but those suggesting you can simply whizz down the local shop, possibly on the morning of a shoot when they find out, and buy a £40 gun aren't going to be getting it fitted.

A shoot should be making the rules clear to everyone well in advance if there's no room for negotiation.

Most just presume the unwritten "rules" are known by everyone including those new to the sport.

Personally I'd be ashamed to turn a lad away from his beaters day.

This I agree with. On a beaters day or a boundary day clothing tradition is not necessary (would prefer an effort was made though) as for guns well I suppose if OU are now so common what harm is there in a SA on a beaters day, as has been said earlier bad gun handling is bad gun handling and there is plenty of that with SxS and OU

It's not the type of Gun that's dangerous, it's the operator of said type of Gun that's the problem. I have seen some very dangerous people with break barrel guns, and even more dangerous after Lunch, when they have had a skinful, but you never see the Keeper worry about that, which IMHO is far more dangerous than a responsible young lad starting out with his semi Auto, because that's all he can afford. I try to take a different approach and let them use a decent u/o then, when the next beaters day comes round they have got themselves a u/o by then, out of choice. That's how i started. Don't put the lad off before he has proven his worth.

Personally I don't see the original question as being primarily one of safety! I happily use a S/A for Wildfowling! I have complete confidence in my safe use of it.....as someone else pointed out it isn't the gun that's unsafe..........it's the idiot that handles it in an unsafe manner!

I have shot lots of driven days with people who used semi autos I have never had or seen any problems with said guns. If your a safe shot your a safe shot whatever you use.

I have also been known to take my SA on a few betters/clean up days and regularly use one for my rough shooting.

I think a lot of you are just looking to put people off shooting instead of helping

them as they are starting out in the sport ***.

As for the booz thing i dont touch a drop when i am beating i see so many drinking on shoot day even beaters alcohol in my opinioon and shooting dont mix no matter how much or little they have and that is tradition to drink on shoot day so i dont think all tradition is good

Had the beaters shoot yesterday and one of the beaters sons turns up with a bloody semi auto would any of you allow it

So he's not a beater with the semi auto he's a beaters son

I assume that the father will stand with his son giving up his shooting for the day

Question should he be shooting on the day ?

We assume he's young ?

Should the parent take a little bit of responsibility here ?

I assume he asked if it was ok to bring him? He could have asked if it was ok to use the semi

As I said in my earlier post I would have given him my gun and let him crack on explaining it's about choice of choke with the two barrels something impossible in a single barrel gun

Oh and clean it at end of day

However there's a lot of things that need answering before we form to big a opinion on this

I personally wouldn't play golf in football boots or play tennis with a badminton racket

Or go hunting to hounds in a anorak

So why would you go game shooting with inappropriate equipment?

Not sure how easy it is to check your barrels for blockages on a semi

Slightly different environment to a clay ground mud possibly snow obstacles to cross

Sadly times are changing

Anyway just a few thoughts on this thread

All the best

Of

On a foot note

On our beaters shoots it is beaters only

two practice clay shoots for anyone shooting and a briefing two weeks before there Day at the game

This allows us to gauge there ability and any extra help they may need before they try it on live game

All questions are answered and there is always help and advice for the novice or inexperienced

We actively encourage youngsters and expect them to have a similar day to us along with any that put in the effort to make a pleasant day

All parents are recommended to buy there sons/ daughter a tie and shirt for Xmas 😊

He never set one foot on the shoot to do any beating he is about 25 just turned up on the shoot with this bloody auto other guns didn't go much on it

The father is I'm the big know all type and don't know **** All

This changes things in my opinion, he should of been told to do one

He never set one foot on the shoot to do any beating he is about 25 just turned up on the shoot with this bloody auto other guns didn't go much on it

Few ground rules for next season perhaps would be in order

Beaters at sensitive creatures And hate sharing there hard earned day

8 out of 10 days to qualify

Just goes to show if you drop standards and don't insist rules are followed, someone will always spoil things for the others by selfishly pushing the boundaries and taking liberties.......if I was shoot captain.........neither father nor son would have shot that day!

Just goes to show if you drop standards and don't insist rules are followed, someone will always spoil things for the others by selfishly pushing the boundaries and taking liberties.......if I was shoot captain.........neither father nor son would have shot that day!

Me neither

Another thing to the fathers a big drinker and the captain puts a tab on in the pub afterwards

The big man is drinking pint after pint of Guinness cos its free then is ******

Afterwards this is what ****** me off

You know the sort I mean

Another thing to the fathers a big drinker and the captain puts a tab on in the pub afterwards

Afterwards this is what ****** me off

You know the sort I mean

I'd be asking him to pick up the tab next time unless he is a fantastic beater :lol: Edited by shoot and be safe

Afterwards this is what ****** me offYou know the sort I mean

I remember one of those...........a few years ago in the hotel the evening before an awayday shoot, we all (8 guns) put a twenty behind the bar (there were wives and girlfriends present) and one greedy **** was ordering and quaffing various spirits one after the other all evening! he probably drank more than three/four others guns put together?..............needless to say the selfish greedy toe rag wasn't invited to shoot with us again!

I might have checked to see if he knew his way home, then !

It is very simple to check for blockages on a self loader after removing all cartridges.

There was a time when OU's were frowned upon for driven shooting. If you're a stickler for tradition how far back do you want to go? Flintlock? Pin fire? Percussion?

I really can't ever see the self loader replacing the double ejector in this country, but there are reasons why some use them. Each to their own.