Cartridge Cutting

Winston72

Modifying a legal shotgun cartridge to act in the same way as section 1 anmo that's restricted.

Do you think it's legal?

If you've got section 1 and permission for slugs then maybe. If not, if the Police ever found out I don't imagine they would be too impressed, do you?

Would they ever find out? Who knows!

Didn't even know you needed a section 1 for slugs

Yep mate, and unlike shotgun cartridges I believe the Police take a very dim view of mishandling etc,

Bloke on the hunting life recently lost his FAC because he left some 243 ammo in his truck which was broken into, he then lost his appeal at crown court.

Like I said I don't see how they would ever find out, but if they did don't imagine they would take it well.

More worringly though is the above comment, What if it did cause a swell or a blown barrel?

cartridges for smooth-bore guns containing five or more shot, none of which exceeds 0.36 inch (9 mm) in diameter is the biggest and minimum amount of shot/ projectiles you use on a setion 2 SGC

that's if my memory is correct

the fact that your cut shell may have 300/400 pellets inside , buy cutting the shell as shown in the video , your effectively turning it into a single projectile which is a big NO

During the Second World War the Home Guard told farmers in Kent and Sussex to do this to their No 6's if the Gerry's ever invaded. In the US for someone out with some birdshot only who came accross a coyote or bigger, is quite handy. In the UK, providing the Gerry's aren't about, it's totally pointless (not sure it's that dangerous!).

And I'm not sure it would cycle through a SA!!!!!!! :lol:

Edited by Prospero

years ago it when we had paper cartridges it wasn't all together unknown for a cartridge to separate at the base resulting in the same thing. I never heard of any guns being damaged by it. Those were cartridges with a roll turnovers though with the whole lot sealed with varnish. I think too generous a dose of varnish glued the crimp solid.

I suppose technically, the law stipulates only what the cartridge contains

Edited by Vince Green

Watched it being done on a range. It works just as the video shows, but, and I don't know how, the last shot left a wad in the semi auto barrel. The guy shot about 4 or 5 cut cartridges for fun then one more. Just by chance we looked down the barrel and there was the wad. Do it once if you must but check the barrel after.

In many ways I guess it isn't so dissimilar to the Cheddite 100 Metri cartridge that was the subject of a thread on here a little while ago.

That cartridge has an inverted wad over the shot effectively encasing it in much the same way as a cut cartridge would do although obviously slightly narrower in bore and so better in that respect.

I don't know whether this is legal or not, but it's very, very silly and potentially very dangerous.

I've seen the consequences of a burst barrel (probably caused by a plug of mud or snow at the muzzles), and the unfortunate man who was behind the butt carried a permanent reminder till his dying day, in the form of a couple of missing fingers.

To be frank, I think that maintaining this thread, interesting (??) though it may be, may only encourage some enterprising but foolish soul to give it a try.

And please don't come back saying that the gentleman in the video has done, and done it without mishap, so it must be o.k.. He's American. Just look at what a great number of his felllow countrymen have elected as their president.