The professionalism of newsreaders...

Doc Holliday

... or more precisely the lack of professionalism. I was always of the opinion that newsreaders had to deliver the news impartially. For the vast majority of them that is the case. However, there does seem to be a small clique that can't seem to help themselves and pass comment. If you haven't already guessed I' m talking about Tom Bradby. When he was home affairs correspondent he came across as one of the most professional but since being anchor he seems to think we care about his thoughts and musings, to the point where I wish John Bercow had just dragged him outside and given him a pasting during that interview.

To be honest you echo my thoughts recently although I am not aware of your specific situation.

My personal opinion applies to their seeming almost orgasmic presentation of the current discord surrounding the Brexit situation.

They seem absolutely hell bent on the ruination of the country by their constant diatribe?

Who is their paymaster?

They are meant uo be a pretty face that reads the news off an autocue.

Terry Wogan used to say it was the easiest job on TV.

Somehow they seem to be being pushed as TV personalities.

Piers Morgan is a Journalist/commontator. Not really a news reader.

Edited by Paul1440

Rant Warning!!!

Three things REALLY ANNOY me about the TV news -

1. I want the news. Not someone's opinion of an event. Straight facts, no waffle and no "what might happen if". It's the news. Not an opinion show? Several times I have complained to the BBC and ITV about news reporters (and bl**dy Mark Carney) giving their opinions. That is completely wrong and the TV news should not be used as a free platform for this.

2. The faked added-after-the-interview cut in's of nodding interviewers. There is only one ******* camera. I'm not interested in your nods and questions and I don't ******* care if your mother wants to see you on the telly. GET OFF MY SCREEN. If you want to see how an interview should be conducted - watch Alan Wicker. He was never seen on screen when questioning a subject?

3. Whisky Tango Foxtrot is all this "...over to our special correspondent Peter, Peter Evans in Outer Mongolia" then after the piece "thanks Peter" That was Peter, Peter Evans in Outer Mongolia". I don't give a flying **** who he is and I don't want my news filled with self advertising so they can get on Strictly come Jiggling or Pointless Celebrity (although the title is apt). Huw Edwards is the worst at doing this. Is he on commission / runs a "celebrity" agency?

Rant over.

Off to a darkened room......

Edited by Eyefor

They are meant uo be a pretty face that reads the news off an autocue.

Terry Wogan used to say it was the easiest job on TV.

Somehow they seem to be being pushed as TV personalities.

Piers Morgan is a Journalist/commontator. Not really a news reader.

He's reading the news on ITV at the mo! When I go to work I have to switch the TV off :lol:

Glad I don't have a TV at home :yes:

He's reading the news on ITV at the mo! When I go to work I have to switch the TV off :lol:

Glad I don't have a TV at home :yes:

I have to disagree here - I think Piers is a welcome addition to GMTV. It is certainly more entertaining since he started. Normally I can't stand the bloke, certainly his column in the Mail always winds me up. Ah, I've just admitted to reading the DM :blush:

Piers Morgan is a presenter, not a newsreader. Trevor McDonald was professional as was the very lovely Julie Etchingham (although the other night she was sporting a bloodshot eye). As said by others, I just want the news, not what they think about it or the person whom the article may be about. I'll make up my own mind. Just the facts, please!

And yes, Peston is opinionated. He never looks well groomed, and reminds me of an old geography teacher in need of good haircut.

Edited by Doc Holliday

They said the other day that Laura Kuenssberg was going on that big rally about Trump in Manchester I think how can we expect unbiased reporting from someone who goes on a march like that she has also had problems with things that she has reported about Jeremy Corbin if these people have opinions on stuff they should keep them private.

And over to our news correspondant standing outside an empty school in Mansfield at 10pm to add some gravitas to a story about a bus crash in Italy involving school children who aren't at the school because:

a The school is closed because the pupils are on holiday

b The school wouldn't be open at 10pm anyway

Same for news reporters standing outside Downing Street / police stations / closed roads miles from the incident / closed factories / etc / etc

2. The faked added-after-the-interview cut in's of nodding interviewers. There is only one ******* camera. I'm not interested in your nods and questions and I don't ******* care if your mother wants to see you on the telly. GET OFF MY SCREEN. If you want to see how an interview should be conducted - watch Alan Wicker. He was never seen on screen when questioning a subject?

Appropriately known in the industry as 'noddies'

After the gameshow scandal when operating standards were tightened right up everyone was told no more noddies but news said they couldn't cope without them, because they often interview people in a circus type affair with a limited time there is great pressure to get all the coverage of the guest but you have nothing to cut to to edit so they were allowed to continue with noddies - I have to agree though a bad one where the hands don't match continuity etc and the head jumps around are truly awful

It's all symptomatic of the 24 hour news world where they are desperately trying to find anything to fill the time - hence that amazing piece where the obviously fed up reporter outside the hospital waiting for Kate to drop baby had that epic rant about nothing to report and he'll let them know when something happens. Also the rise of presenters over journalists.

And over to our news correspondant standing outside an empty school in Mansfield at 10pm to add some gravitas to a story about a bus crash in Italy involving school children who aren't at the school because:

a The school is closed because the pupils are on holiday

b The school wouldn't be open at 10pm anyway

Same for news reporters standing outside Downing Street / police stations / closed roads miles from the incident / closed factories / etc / etc

That is another one that really gets up my nose sending highly paid reporters complete with film crews to no 10 or the house of commons just to have the building in the background most of these things could be done in the studio at a fraction of the cost and we still get to find out what they want us to now.

If Tom Bradby is reading the news i just turn over, i do not want his half baked, i'm your pal, and jokey routine,it is the news, read it impartially and not with your own slant on it and raised eyebrows when you don't agree with things,probably the worst newsreader ever, he has just brought the news down to the level of 10 year olds.Even newsround was more serious.

my favourite is Mark Austin, he has also done a crime series,

a very rare person, there is nothing about him that annoys, winds me up, or irritates me,

proper bloke, mark Austin

Also like hugh Edwards,

the rest can take a running jump.

I agree. I think he's the epitome of a professional newsreader. He's just not as easy on the eye as the lovely Julie Etchingham, bloodshot eye or not.

Appropriately known in the industry as 'noddies'

After the gameshow scandal when operating standards were tightened right up everyone was told no more noddies but news said they couldn't cope without them, because they often interview people in a circus type affair with a limited time there is great pressure to get all the coverage of the guest but you have nothing to cut to to edit so they were allowed to continue with noddies - I have to agree though a bad one where the hands don't match continuity etc and the head jumps around are truly awful

It's all symptomatic of the 24 hour news world where they are desperately trying to find anything to fill the time - hence that amazing piece where the obviously fed up reporter outside the hospital waiting for Kate to drop baby had that epic rant about nothing to report and he'll let them know when something happens. Also the rise of presenters over journalists.

I had to laugh at this. I hadn't really thought about it but now that it's pointed out... :-D

The two that wind me up? BBC news early morning, some bloke whose name I can't remember but he has a good suntan, continually talks over the top of guests. Too full of himself and arrogant. The other is some kind of Antipodean foreigner, seems to yak on about money matters, far too fond of his own voice and needs a good smack in the mush. I'm not at my happiest in the morning!