Norfolk broads

chady

Earning all.

Has anyone been on the broads?

We are going for a week in April. We pick the boat up from wroxham.

Wager are the places to go and see and where are the places to avoid please? Just want to plan the route in rough before we go?

The kids request that we spend the day at Yarmouth so have to plan that on route.

Any hints or advice welcome please

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Earning all.

Has anyone been on the broads?

We are going for a week in April. We pick the boat up from wroxham.

Wager are the places to go and see and where are the places to avoid please? Just want to plan the route in rough before we go?

The kids request that we spend the day at Yarmouth so have to plan that on route.

Any hints or advice welcome please

If you are starting from Wroxham I'd head upstream under the bridge and go right up to Coltishall for the first night. There are three or four nice pubs around the green that did decent food. Or use that for your last night's stop over as it isn't too far from the base. The other alternative for 1st or last stop is the Swan at Horning.

Don't try and go around to the southern rivers if you only have a week. The nicest parts are in the northern rivers IMO. And Yarmouth is a no no for several reasons. The moorings are miles from the town and the town is Sheite.

p.s. your predictive text makes you sound like Officer Crabtree from 'Allo, 'allo :lol:

Edited by UKPoacher

Now listen poacher I shall say this only once!!

Valid point.......

Bing up with a cold and my head is all over the place!

Thanks for the tips. I have a 3 year old and 9 year old so want to do the nice quieter places.

Thanks for your imput

If you are starting from Wroxham I'd head upstream under the bridge and go right up to Coltishall for the first night. There are three or four nice pubs around the green that did decent food. Or use that for your last night's stop over as it isn't too far from the base. The other alternative for 1st or last stop is the Swan at Horning.

Don't try and go around to the southern rivers if you only have a week. The nicest parts are in the northern rivers IMO. And Yarmouth is a no no for several reasons. The moorings are miles from the town and the town is Sheite.

p.s. your predictive text makes you sound like Officer Crabtree from 'Allo, 'allo :lol:

Don't plan doing too much is the best advice I can offer. The limits are slow, so it takes an age to get places. Best advise it moor up outside of Yarmouth, and get a taxi in. Other than a little gun shop, ASDA and a few budget supermarkets there isn't much there! The seafront was all closed for the season when I was there last.

One place I will recommend though for an evening out! The Yankee Traveller. Ring up and book in advance though. I love the place. Good food, monster portions, and the price isn't too bad.

I tend to just take my time when pootling along on the broads! It's about relaxation.

The north end of the broads is my preferred destination! But everyone is different.

My son loves Yarmouth he's 7. Got the pier and pleasure beach rest of its a bit grotty. Also when at the yacht station make sure you have a crabbing net, hrs of fun. We will be up over Easter aswell but will stick to the south side I think but will depend on the weather.

You will have a great time, take it steady and enjoy the scenery and don't crash into my boat

I don't know if you do any fishing, but there is some great roach and bream fishing on the Bure at Colitshall Green and lower down in the faster water at Beccles. Also, the moorings at Ludham had some good sized eels. If the kids want to get to the coast there is a small channel to the north of Horsey Mere, I think it is called Candle Dyke. We moored up right at the end and walked through footpaths to Sea Palling.

Out of season in April.

Yes, it is Candle Dyke.

I don't know if you do any fishing, but there is some great roach and bream fishing on the Bure at Colitshall Green and lower down in the faster water at Beccles. Also, the moorings at Ludham had some good sized eels. If the kids want to get to the coast there is a small channel to the north of Horsey Mere, I think it is called Candle Dyke. We moored up right at the end and walked through footpaths to Sea Palling.

Sadly you will be there during the closed season otherwise fishing can be excellent. Got to see Hickling broad and Potter Heigham. But as someone else said just take your time, take in the scenery and the amazing wildlife and buy a good map - OS do a special Broads version. Get a good book too as the hidden places - How Hill etc etc - are what makes this a very special place to visit. My long years of fishing took me to almost every corner of this wonderful natural playground and I still love visiting. Even a quick drive through any Broadland town or village is a pleasure. I'll be shooting on the edge of the Waveney valley this Saturday and there is one point where we can see for miles across the marshes and even Gt Yarmouth in the distance looks attractive (from 10 miles away!!) on a clear day.

I have lived in Yarmouth for nigh on 70 years and over the years there has been good and bad times , in the late 50s and early 60s we had the Herring industry in full swing with the river packed with drifters from Scotland and many a time I would hitch a ride up the river on a Saturday morning after they had unloaded there catch and were going to moor for the weekend before going back out to sea on the Monday morning , I still have fond memories of the crews I met and got to know , lovely friendly people.

Then we had the north sea gas starting up , with a lot of employment on oil rigs and the boats that serviced them , in fact I worked on a supply boat when I came out of the R N , good money but I then preferred dry land and my days at sea came to an end.

We have now got a lot of work in the harbour with the wind turbines that are going up in the North sea and there is a lot of work for the guys who install them.

Now the bad bits , yes I must admit the town is run down and if the immigrants were sent back the place would be nearly empty , but the seafront is now clean and tidy and we still get our fair share of visitors in the summer and we have got some excellent countryside on our doorstep , you can step off the train , walk a hundred yards and you see one of the most important estuary in the country with birdlife running into there 1000s ,

So its not every ones cup of tea , but where is ? , in you like the countryside and are thinking in coming down this way by all means get in touch and I will do my best to either show you or tell you where the best places are .

Hi, I live on the broads and have my boat moored just above potter bridge, April is a quiet month, no fishing as its out of season, Wroxham is ok, some fairish shops, the river Bure from Coltishall down stream through Wroham, Wroxham broad,Salhouse broad and several other smaller broads is very pretty, Horning is very nice, sits along the river with a couple of decent pubs and lots of moorings.

Be careful, mooring on most of the broads is chargeable, about £8 per night, but out on the river its free where there are proper mooring places. Down stream from Horning the river Ant goes off left up to Barton broad which belongs to the RSPB keep left in the channel takes you into Neatishead,moorings and a pub, or right in the channel out across the broad takes you up to either Stalham, more shops and a decent Tesco, or branch left again up to Wayford bridge and another decent pub with good moorings.

If you miss the turn into the River Ant carry on down stream on the Bure , off to the right is South Walsham broad, not much to see but in season a great fishing spot, further down stream on the left again is the mouth of the river Thurne which takes you up to Womack water ( moorings) and Potter Heiham bridge, very very low and a dead end for most boats.Home of Lathams store, good tackle shop to stock up ready for the season, Back on the Bure down stream again goes to Acle bridge, from here on the river becomes very tidal, fast flow and deep and its over 3 hours down to Yarmouth, Now I love Yarmouth and gorlston, great shops, fantastic sandy beach for the kids and lots of amusements, But and its a Big but, is it worth the long slog down there and back,and you will need to be a competent boat handler to moor at the town moorings (£15 per night) in the fast tidal run, the river rises and falls 2 to 3 meters here. Better idea is to moor in Potter Heigham and catch a bus into Yarmouth for the day, its only about 20 minutes by bus and they run a regular service.

You can do the whole of the northern broads in a week if you push hard, Or take it easy and come back again to do the rest.

Get a good map of the rivers, take the kids wellies and raincoats as its no fun stuck in the boat if the weather is bad.

Best places to shop for provisions , Roys of Wroxham, Tesco in Stalham,Lathams in Potter Heigham.

Have a great time, hope the weather is good for you and if you need any specific information please message me. :lol::lol:

Thanks all,

I agree with all your comments and about Yarmouth. I will go as the kids love the slot machines will the pleasure beach be open or not?

So it looks like the northern arms seam to be more popular?

Could you do the Watford bridge arm and the hickling arm and back in a week?

Thank you very much I will have a look on the map and plot it out and may come back to you for advice.

Many thanks for the time

Hi, I live on the broads and have my boat moored just above potter bridge, April is a quiet month, no fishing as its out of season, Wroxham is ok, some fairish shops, the river Bure from Coltishall down stream through Wroham, Wroxham broad,Salhouse broad and several other smaller broads is very pretty, Horning is very nice, sits along the river with a couple of decent pubs and lots of moorings.

Be careful, mooring on most of the broads is chargeable, about £8 per night, but out on the river its free where there are proper mooring places. Down stream from Horning the river Ant goes off left up to Barton broad which belongs to the RSPB keep left in the channel takes you into Neatishead,moorings and a pub, or right in the channel out across the broad takes you up to either Stalham, more shops and a decent Tesco, or branch left again up to Wayford bridge and another decent pub with good moorings.

If you miss the turn into the River Ant carry on down stream on the Bure , off to the right is South Walsham broad, not much to see but in season a great fishing spot, further down stream on the left again is the mouth of the river Thurne which takes you up to Womack water ( moorings) and Potter Heiham bridge, very very low and a dead end for most boats.Home of Lathams store, good tackle shop to stock up ready for the season, Back on the Bure down stream again goes to Acle bridge, from here on the river becomes very tidal, fast flow and deep and its over 3 hours down to Yarmouth, Now I love Yarmouth and gorlston, great shops, fantastic sandy beach for the kids and lots of amusements, But and its a Big but, is it worth the long slog down there and back,and you will need to be a competent boat handler to moor at the town moorings (£15 per night) in the fast tidal run, the river rises and falls 2 to 3 meters here. Better idea is to moor in Potter Heigham and catch a bus into Yarmouth for the day, its only about 20 minutes by bus and they run a regular service.

You can do the whole of the northern broads in a week if you push hard, Or take it easy and come back again to do the rest.

Get a good map of the rivers, take the kids wellies and raincoats as its no fun stuck in the boat if the weather is bad.

Best places to shop for provisions , Roys of Wroxham, Tesco in Stalham,Lathams in Potter Heigham.

Have a great time, hope the weather is good for you and if you need any specific information please message me. :lol::lol:

Nice one!

You can be my boys canon fobber lol

My son loves Yarmouth he's 7. Got the pier and pleasure beach rest of its a bit grotty. Also when at the yacht station make sure you have a crabbing net, hrs of fun. We will be up over Easter aswell but will stick to the south side I think but will depend on the weather.

You will have a great time, take it steady and enjoy the scenery and don't crash into my boat

Been jet skiing there before might do the same, sounds good.

Broads are good very relaxing and the fishing is great in season.

If you intend to go to Potter Heigham and fancy getting onto Hickling Broad bear in mind you will need a pilot to get under the bridge as its tidal and the headroom is not great.

There are a lot of pubs on the broads with moorings or moorings close by.

Broads are good very relaxing and the fishing is great in season.

If you intend to go to Potter Heigham and fancy getting onto Hickling Broad bear in mind you will need a pilot to get under the bridge as its tidal and the headroom is not great.

There are a lot of pubs on the broads with moorings or moorings close by.

You need a pilot to get under PH bridge now? Went through it several times when I was a nipper, although ability to get under it was always one of our boat selection criteria.

Many happy memories of sailing dinghies around various Broads :) I treasure the memory of watching a teenager showing off in his Lazer on Salhouse Broad, tacking furiously across and back, until, scampering across from one side to the other on a track, he missed his toe strap and did a neat backward roll out of his boat. I was nearly sick with laughing :D

We spent this last weekend on the Broads and stayed at Sutton Staithe Hotel for a friends 70th.Birthday

party. To see the Staithe completely frozen over and all the boats ice-locked was something else. Not

sure whether this happens very often. Sorry cannot advise on anywhere to visit but our womenfolk did

find stuff to buy at Lathams in Potter Heigham and I came away with some stuff for the man cave like

cheap paint brushes,tools etc etc.

OB