Health Care Tourists

TIGHTCHOKE

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-38876527

Interesting to see a Doctor interviewed on Sky News this morning saying that Doctors did not go in to the job to be border guards.

She also bemoaned the lack of funding and lack of staff.

What a shame she didn't consider that if the Health Tourists paid their fair share they would either be put off coming or would be paying fairly for the care taken

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if I go on holiday, anywhere apart from the u.k, I have been hard wired into thinking that I need a comprehensive health policy, I went to Majorca last year, and even though I was eligible through the reciprocal eu arrangement, I still had a private policy, it was a very reasonable cost for 1 week.

if I tried to go to the u.s.a. tomorrow, I would be refused entry, unless I had the means to support any possible health problems.

This country is run by silly liberals, who want to 'share' our infrastructure with the entire world, not giving a damn that it will eventually be destroyed.

we cant even stop the indigenous taking the mickey, without the rest of the world.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-38876527

Interesting to see a Doctor interviewed on Sky News this morning saying that Doctors did not go in to the job to be border guards.

She also bemoaned the lack of funding and lack of staff.

What a shame she didn't consider that if the Health Tourists paid their fair share they would either be put off coming or would be paying fairly for the care taken

We have to have Insurance when going abroad ... they should have it when coming here. I myself lost a finger while working in Dublin ... the first thing they asked me and I mean the very first thing on entering the Hospital was ..... How are you going to pay for this treatment.

Isn't it funny, there was a doctor on the radio this morning saying its not his job to collect money. I wonder if he still says that when he becomes a consultant and starts seeing private patients.

lets not attack the doctors, its an awful job, looking up peoples backsides, I couldn't do it, lets focus on these politicians, they are beyond useless, and a large percentage of the public are a total disgrace, it isn't his job to collect money, its to save lives.

its not like a train fare inspector, you know.

Edited by wandringstar

We have to have Insurance when going abroad ... they should have it when coming here. I myself lost a finger while working in Dublin ... the first thing they asked me and I mean the very first thing on entering the Hospital was ..... How are you going to pay for this treatment.

Same in Amsterdam when a friend broke her wrist. She produced her EHIC card and they just shook their heads. She had to pay, those cards are not worth anything over there. She thought by taking it she was covered.

They were saying today on the local radio that some Doctors were saying they are not border guards, they just want to treat the people in front of them.

The presenter went onto say they should stop saying the NHS is stretched and has no money or if they felt that strongly about treating those who are stood in front of them to tot up the amount of time they spent on non entitled emergency care and pay back those hours in ££ at the end of the month.

Its funny that my NHS dentist doesn't find it at all difficult to charge me for my dental treatment and the chemist doesn't find it hard to charge me for my NHS prescriptions.

The idea that the NHS is free is ridiculous, do the doctors work for free? Everything has to be paid for in this world.

Edited by Vince Green

I would willingly offer my services free of charge, to help police this facility at my local hospital if i thought it would help keep our coffers for our own people who have earned the right to attend.. I might suggest that lots of retired people like me would gladly do the same up and down the country. from Auntie.

How many people do patients have to see before they get to the Doctor? This particular one was clearly not a full shilling. Her quote is merely a soundbite - nothing less. Pathetic.

It is clear that they don't even know the concept of a border guard - as they jet relatives in to jump the operations queue.

The idea that the NHS is free is ridiculous, do the doctors work for free? Everything has to be paid for in this world.

Of course it's not free we the taxpayers have and still do pay for it..........there is though, no charge "at the point of delivery" which is where the myth of a free NHS comes from!

Having said that, it is it seems a free health service........for the freeloading International Health Tourists who have not contributed one penny into the UK NHS!

Successive governments have allowed this healthcare theft to continue.......it could be stopped tomorrow by making health insurance a condition of legal entry into the UK,..........then the illegals who have no papers, could be identified by the hospitals when they attend for help/treatment......and reported to the authorities for potential deportation!

I can see the point of the doctor's comments. It is not their problem, but they are professionally bound to offer medical care to anyone who needs it. It is the politician's job to ensure that the bills are paid via heath insurance. No health insurance = no entry.

Part of the problem is that absolutely anyone can apply for a NI number and gets one. There is no security in the system at all

How difficult would it be to have a card reader at the point of entry where you swipe you NI card and it tells them whether you are 'in credit'? Tesco can do it with their loyalty cards so it ain't rocket science.

At A&E it would also mean that you wouldn't have to queue up at the desk while some idiot types in all your details with one finger.

Edited by Vince Green

Of course it's not free we the taxpayers have and still do pay for it..........there is though, no charge "at the point of delivery" which is where the myth of a free NHS comes from!

Having said that, it is it seems a free health service........for the freeloading International Health Tourists who have not contributed one penny into the UK NHS!

Successive governments have allowed this healthcare theft to continue.......it could be stopped tomorrow by making health insurance a condition of legal entry into the UK,..........then the illegals who have no papers, could be identified by the hospitals when they attend for help/treatment......and reported to the authorities for potential deportation!

Its simplistic to think health tourists would be prevented from coming in by insisting on insurance. If its a pre-existing condition the insurance company will simply refuse to pay (after the treatment) and we would back to square one.

Anyone can download a travel insurance document for about £7 from Insureandgo.com,or whatever, and wave it at passport control on the way through.

It could actually make the situation more confusing

Edited by Vince Green

What I don't understand is why this has been aloud to happen for all these years, it's hardly rocket science to prevent health tourism. Why are politicians so inept at issues like this?

And likely will still be the same in 20 years time or until the system melts down?

The ones in charge really don't give a rats *** other than chugging out of the trough?

Part of the problem is that absolutely anyone can apply for a NI number and gets one. There is no security in the system at all

There is actually supposed to be security, but if someone tells me it is effective, I will say that they are delusional - because that would be totally accurate.

if I go on holiday, anywhere apart from the u.k, I have been hard wired into thinking that I need a comprehensive health policy, I went to Majorca last year, and even though I was eligible through the reciprocal eu arrangement, I still had a private policy, it was a very reasonable cost for 1 week.

if I tried to go to the u.s.a. tomorrow, I would be refused entry, unless I had the means to support any possible health problems.

This country is run by silly liberals, who want to 'share' our infrastructure with the entire world, not giving a damn that it will eventually be destroyed.

we cant even stop the indigenous taking the mickey, without the rest of the world.

+1