Nicola Sturgeon Referendum News

figgy

So wot ur saying is because the fuedal rich land owning/ruling classes signed a treaty 300 years ago its not allowed to be contested by the mere common folk who now live there and they should just suck it and get on with it.

Yet it is perfectly acceptable for UK to have a refernendum on something it actually held a refernendum to go into only 40 yrs ago.

A bit more acceptable than only having had a referendum a couple of years ago. :lol::lol: :lol:

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've gone full circle. Let the SNP have a second referendum.

Two caveats though. Firstly, it should be funded entirely by Holyrood, audited and the same amount subtracted from any 'top-up' payments made by the rest of the UK, that way there can be no complaints over the cost. Secondly, if the answer is NO a second time power should be stripped from Holyrood and returned to Westminster. The SNP cannot be trusted not to meddle and agitate.

Edited by mick miller

Mick, that's never going to happen

Lets be clear about this, the SNP only want political independence not financial independence. They still want us to pick up their bills for them. Cake and eat it comes to mind.

If they wanted to go with no strings they could go tomorrow as far as I am concerned. I would carry their bags for them.

So wot ur saying is because the fuedal rich land owning/ruling classes signed a treaty 300 years ago its not allowed to be contested by the mere common folk who now live there and they should just suck it and get on with it.

Yet it is perfectly acceptable for UK to have a refernendum on something it actually held a refernendum to go into only 40 yrs ago.

So something voted by the people onlly 40yrs ago u don't have to put up with it but something the rich toffs/ruling classes (probably involving quite a bit of land/money changing hands which nowadays would be called corruption) signed up for 300 years ago should just be sucked up and taken on the chin.

Also seems to be quite a few build the wall/ screw them out of every penny type posters if we have the cheek to go on our own

.I do find it rather strnge considering many will have voted for brexit and i'm sure are hoping the final deal will involve not too much changing really (still go ur cheap hols to spain and hgv's can travel freely to europe) yet when it cme to the jocks they want to shaft us.

Just seems a bit hypcritcal really. How would u feel if the french were wanting to bloc the tunnel in and close all the ferry crossing to Eng? Or impose very high taxes on them? I bet u'd be raging at the french but many on here would happily do it to the scots?

A few of scots papers had results of a poll in 72% of under 25's in favour of leaving now, and around 46-50% total, when the last indyref started in 2012 it was only around 26% in favour of leaving. Pretty much as high a % as they've ever had, and thats with nhs/schools, polis all in a complete shambles. Imagine wot the % would be like if snp were any good at there job

I'm also pretty sure the uder 20's actually mainly voted to stay in union in last ref, widely thought to be because of EU/travel etc, so if now EU's gone and there 72% in favour that is a massive swing.

Only 25% of over 65's want to leave thou, but that is probably also be the demographic with the most english ex pats in.

As they die its almost invetiable independeance WILL come like it or not.

To me the really scary thing is salmond got a 45% vote with no real economics policy, absolutely no idea on either EU or pound, and figures for oil revinues that walt disney couldn't imagine.

Yet he almost got half the population to vote for it.

Out of the 55%, how many folk do u think just bottled it big time and went for the easy option? I bet quite a few, i know a few who regretted it at the time.

How many believe in independence but are scared ****less by the snp? Bet it could be quite a few again.

Even how many english voted NO? And i know not every english person voted no but chances are a lot would have.

It only needed a 5% swing, was only 400k votes not a massive marign really, with the prospect of decades of english tory rule it may well be enough to swing the vote

I just want to know what is so terrible about being part of the united kingdom, I like the 4 nations together, its all we have ever known, I look at all the 4 countries as a whole, with very much their own identities anyway, I mean, has their ever been a country with more of an identity than Scotland, its legendary.

The thing which the snp are peddling is reckless and totally unnecessary, its using emotion and melodrama and is offering something that you already have, and always have had, Its incredibly divisive, not cohesive, it acts like England is some sort of oppressive bully hectoring their way of life, this appeals to the simple mind. (they were a good band by the way). :good:

I've gone full circle. Let the SNP have a second referendum.

Two caveats though. Firstly, it should be funded entirely by Holyrood, audited and the same amount subtracted from any 'top-up' payments made by the rest of the UK, that way there can be no complaints over the cost. Secondly, if the answer is NO a second time power should be stripped from Holyrood and returned to Westminster. The SNP cannot be trusted not to meddle and agitate.

Mick the snp would love that deal, they'd bite ur hand off and probably take most of ur arm with it.

U just don't seem to grasp the scottish mantality, there is nothing they hate more than being threatened bullied by the english, a threat like that would play right into there hands.

Why do u think cameron rarely came up or had the tv debate last time he knew he'd do far more good for the Yes vote than better together.

The simple fact is this refeendum if it happens is too soon after the last BUT the last 1 was based on a lie 1 of better togethers main pledges was EU how many people voted fro status quo because off that? I i did i'd be pretty pee'd off now.

Think off it the other way many of u voted for brexit, the pledges weren't cast in stone quite the same but most folk will be hoping on a stop to free movement/immigration controls. How would b feel if all this talk of hard brexit etc falls at the wayside during the negotations and we end up with a very soft exit hardly any difference to wot we have now. Would u not feel cheated, lied too (too be fair thats about normal for politicains thou) and be demanding a 2nd vote?

So something voted by the people onlly 40yrs ago u don't have to put up with it but something the rich toffs/ruling classes (probably involving quite a bit of land/money changing hands which nowadays would be called corruption) signed up for 300 years ago should just be sucked up and taken on the chin.

With respect to the referendum 40yrs ago, it wasn't about joining the EU but a trading partnership, a completely different animal to what it was supposed to be, ( what would it be like in another 40 years......)

It's a bit like Scotland voting out of the UK but then finding out the long term plan is for them to not be 100% self governing but someone else making up the rules and spending their budget.

I just want to know what is so terrible about being part of the united kingdom, I like the 4 nations together, its all we have ever known, I look at all the 4 countries as a whole, with very much their own identities anyway, I mean, has their ever been a country with more of an identity than Scotland, its legendary.

The thing which the snp are peddling is reckless and totally unnecessary, its using emotion and melodrama and is offering something that you already have, and always have had, Its incredibly divisive, not cohesive, it acts like England is some sort of oppressive bully hectoring their way of life, this appeals to the simple mind. (they were a good band by the way). :good:

But have we ever really been a part?

As far as i know i don't think england can claim the scottish identity when we leave, so the identity won't change whether or not were part of the union

I certainly don't feel any affinity to england or team GB etc, i also have no bad feeling against it either or its people and just treat folk as i find them.

Same with supporting A.B.E i honesstly don't know why u'd expect us to support u, do u support the french or dutch at fitba?

Even in european games u'd never get a man city/lverpool fan supporting unitied or any of london teams supporting each other so why should neighbouring nations support each other.

U say ur not bullying and oppressive (and to be fair its been a long time since westminster has been apart from the 'poll tax' blip which many would consider to be fairly bullying and suppressive) but then ur next post by a countryman is threating to build walls, screw us for very penny and take our devolved powers away..

With the back drop of the brexit result most/many posts seem typed with a very narrow view and a great deal of hypocrosy which seems lost on many

Edited by scotslad

I get the reasoning, the people of Scotland voted last time with the view that NO meant staying in the EU. At the time that was truthful and honest. A YES vote would have meant having to renegotiate entry.

Now, after the UK wide referendum, that position has changed. BREXIT means exiting the EU.

The SNP believe everyone that voted YES also voted to remain part of the EU. I don't believe that that is correct, politics is rarely black and white. Many of those that voted YES also voted for Brexit, and others that voted NO voted to remain in the EU.

The two questions cannot be conflated, as the SNP have sought to do, voting for Brexit isn't a NO to independence. Everyone that voted to leave the EU isn't a Yoon..

As we're all getting a little tired of the SNPs rhetoric and the possibility of a neverendum ad nauseum, I think the only way to settle it, it'll never go away otherwise, is to go again but this time if it's a NO, even by one vote, the power to continually call a referendum after every shift in UK policy that could or would affect the Scots, should be stripped in perpetuity.

Edited by mick miller

But have we ever really been a part?

As far as i know i don't think england can claim the scottish identity when we leave, so the identity won't change whether or not were part of the union

I certainly don't feel any affinity to england or team GB etc, i also have no bad feeling against it either or its people and just treat folk as i find them.

Same with supporting A.B.E i honesstly don't know why u'd expect us to support u, do u support the french or dutch at fitba?

Even in european games u'd never get a man city/lverpool fan supporting unitied or any of london teams supporting each other so why should neighbouring nations support each other.

U say ur not bullying and oppressive (and to be fair its been a long time since westminster has been apart from the 'poll tax' blip which many would consider to be fairly bullying and suppressive) but then ur next post by a countryman is threating to build walls, screw us for very penny and take our devolved powers away..

With the back drop of the brexit result most/many posts seem typed with a very narrow view and a great deal of hypocrosy which seems lost on many

you have just gone straight into an snp rant, you are using pointless sporting analogies, in the scheme of things, sport is an irrelevance, I cant stand it anymore, you are letting imaginary grievances rule your thinking, you dident even need devolved power, its just made the inept, even more useless and given the stirrers more brown stuff to stir.

And don't listen to these multi-millionaire film and sports stars, they took their own independence from Scotland years ago. :good:

I don't quite understand all the hatred towards the English, we are the only nation in the UK that have no identity, and if we show any sort of patriotism, we are classed as racist. If any people should feel let down by the UK it's us.

But strangely we are very tolerant of other cultures and diversity, that the UK brings and know without a shadow of a doubt, that we ARE 'better together' regardless of what the racist English hating SNP spout.

yeh I heard them wishing everyone a happy st patricks day in the commons yesterday, I could understand it if it was new York, boston or the irish parliament.

Boils my **** in on TV with McDonalds and supermarkets advertising beef as 100% British or Irish, nothing against the Irish but why should selling Irish meat over here be a selling point Ireland is a foreign country and a lot of the beef they process and label as Irish comes from South America.

I don't quite understand all the hatred towards the English, we are the only nation in the UK that have no identity, and if we show any sort of patriotism, we are classed as racist. If any people should feel let down by the UK it's us.

But strangely we are very tolerant of other cultures and diversity, that the UK brings and know without a shadow of a doubt, that we ARE 'better together' regardless of what the racist English hating SNP spout.

Funny when i'v read most of this thread most of the amonisty seems to be from the south directed north.

Even when i've read some of sturgeon comments i can't find any stating hatred for english, yes plenty slagging of westminster but i didn't realise it was the same thing?

I'm no fan of stirgeon but some of the names getting flung at her are a disgrace coming from normally intellegent people.

Just shows u how some people only take want the want to when they read something (and before everyone points the finger at me i'm not even that bothered about it all, life will go on either way nd i do hate the snp so can see both sides to argument)

Wether u like it or not the Unitied kingdom has never really ever been unitied.

I used to be far more patroctic than i am now and was shocked the 1st time i worked in Wales, the welsh storemen for a building suppliers who we got on great with would start talking in welsh and completely ignore the english workers when they came in, this was a multi million pound job andf the storemen were completely ignoring them. Doesn't sound overly untied

I just don't know why so many of u even care? If the shoe was on the other foot i couldn't give a monkeys.

Do u ever wonder why so few scots even bother to come on threads like this, reading throu some of this drivel does more for a yes vote than watching braveheart ever will.

Edited by scotslad

Funny when i'v read most of this thread most of the amonisty seems to be from the south directed north.

Even when i've read some of sturgeon comments i can't find any stating hatred for english, yes plenty slagging of westminster but i didn't realise it was the same thing?

I'm no fan of stirgeon but some of the names getting flung at her are a disgrace coming from normally intellegent people.

Just shows u how some people only take want the want to when they read something (and before everyone points the finger at me i'm not even that bothered about it all, life will go on either way nd i do hate the snp so can see both sides to argument)

I used to be far more patroctic than i am now and was shocked the 1st time i worked in Wales, the welsh storemen for a building suppliers who we got on great with would start talking in welsh and completely ignore the english workers when they came in, this was a multi million pound job andf the storemen were completely ignoring them. Doesn't sound overly untied

I just don't know why so many of u even care? If the shoe was on the other foot i couldn't give a monkeys.

Do u ever wonder why so few scots even bother to come on threads like this, reading throu some of this drivel does more for a yes vote than watching braveheart ever will.

:good:

The funny thing is that a lot of the posts do read that way (I suppose you could say the same about the posts the otherway), and your comment about the storeman, sort of reiterates my point about the English being hated for some reason by the rest of the UK, besides the Orangemen but that's a completely different story.

If you looked at the UK as the UK not England (as i fear everyone who isn't English does) would your opinion on leaving still be the same?

Edited by Newbie to this

yeh I heard them wishing everyone a happy st patricks day in the commons yesterday, I could understand it if it was new York, boston or the irish parliament.

Why not? St Patrick is an English Saint after all. He only went to Ireland because he was sent there to convert the Irish to Christianity.

Why not? St Patrick is an English Saint after all. He only went to Ireland because he was sent there to convert the Irish to Christianity.

Apparently he was born in Banwen which is in Wales, I know because I've been there and its on the towns sign as you drive in so its bound to be correct so there!

Cheers

Aled

(ps tongue very firmly in cheek! LOL)

You know what makes me laugh about this thread?

People talking about the English hating the Scots, and the Welsh hating the English ect ,as being some natural given, that means we can 'never really be united' never really be a UK.

Who are the English, who are the Welsh, and who are the Scots ?

Can we all trace our pure bred 'nationality' back to year dot ?

Are you a Scot if you are born in Scotland,have a Scottish accent,but your parents are English, or Irish, or Pakistani ?

The football analogy calls it best, two people from the same town support different teams, so they 'hate ' each other.

We all have mixed ancestry ,my grandad was Welsh, my mother was Spanish, so am I not English ?

This sort of bickering does you a disservice.

You know what makes me laugh about this thread?

People talking about the English hating the Scots, and the Welsh hating the English ect ,as being some natural given, that means we can 'never really be united' never really be a UK.

Who are the English, who are the Welsh, and who are the Scots ?

Can we all trace our pure bred 'nationality' back to year dot ?

Are you a Scot if you are born in Scotland,have a Scottish accent,but your parents are English, or Irish, or Pakistani ?

The football analogy calls it best, two people from the same town support different teams, so they 'hate ' each other.

We all have mixed ancestry ,my grandad was Welsh, my mother was Spanish, so am I not English ?

This sort of bickering does you a disservice.

And takes away from real issues. Divide and conquer.

there is no animosity from south to north, that's just a smokescreen, as the argument isn't there.