Nicola Sturgeon Referendum News

figgy

"Meanwhile, today’s copy of The National newspaper is reporting that Scotland won 18-0 before burning Twickenham to the ground."

:lol: Good find. :good:

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think more is going on behind the scenes than we know. Apparently the EU are now whispering that perhaps unofficially Scotland would be welcome in the EU after all. What a funny old coincidence. :whistling:

No reason to not believe EU **** stirring is going on = cause internal strife to weaken the UK, so less of a unified stance from the government when discussing Article 50 terms.

Sooner were away from the EU the better.

With uncertainty hanging over Scotland's membership of the UK during the Brexit negotiations, it would be diffilcult for the UK Government to be entirely neutral in trying to secure the best 'UK' deal. If there are decisions to be made on where to 'give' it would surely be tempting to 'give' on the elements that effect more Scotland than the rest of the UK?

Edited by oowee

Unlike some on here, I visit Scotland most years. I have family up there including my cousin who lives right up past Inverness. There is a different mindset and they do see things differently to us. You have to accept that.

The SNP have tapped into some of the traditional insecurities and fed off them.

Saying all that on the positive side, there are some rabid anti anything English people up there still fighting the battles of hundreds of years past.

Edited by Vince Green

I feel that Scotland has a right to choose, however they should get it over with as soon as possible as it is important that the bit or whole UK negotiates from the end position. If Scotland doesn't want to be part of the UK it needs to be able to sort out its own relationship with the EU.

David.

I feel that Scotland has a right to choose, however they should get it over with as soon as possible as it is important that the bit or whole UK negotiates from the end position. If Scotland doesn't want to be part of the UK it needs to be able to sort out its own relationship with the EU.

David.

It chose. Now some parts of it want to choose again.

Let's call a spade a spade. The SNP should really be called the 'Hate the English Party' because that's all they are. They've managed to stir up the anti-English sentiment that has bubbled away barely beneath the surface for years.

Some find Nicola's willingness to ditch the UK and latch on the the EU puzzling. I don't, the answer to this dichotomy seems clear; it's 'anyone but the English'. That's how deep the hatred runs.

Having suckled from the English teat for years she also realises that the Scottish economy, as is, is a basket case and will need a new wet nurse to support it in its 'independence'.

Unfortunately, the racists and xenophobes that back the party will get a shock if her plan comes to fruition. Scotland has largely been spared the blight of 'freedom of movement' and all that it brings. Let's see how all those frothy mouthed, hate filled folk feel when the country gets flooded and the systems begin to heave and collapse under the weight of its new citizens.

This single-minded approach of hers, driven by a deep seated loathing of anything English is her and her parties weakness and, I believe, will be her ultimate undoing. I hope and pray that the fist she'll make of it doesn't scupper the aspirations of her countrymen who aren't subscribed to those sentiments, it seems from the posts on here that there are many who are clearly not.

Edited by mick miller

Mick while u may be right about SNP (althou i'd say there is slightly more to them than that) i;d also say they've done a very good job of stirring up racial hatred ammoungst the english towards the scots.

Certainly when u read any of these threads the racial hatred seems to be coming more from south of the border..Some of the previous threads the abuse would be bordering on criminal if it was directed to a different race/skin colour/religion

I know i've certainly had too many negative experiences (anything from not accepting legal tender to physical fights and when we played football down there it was almost every week we had a battle on the oitch) traveling/woking in england that i rarely bother going south nowadays.

But i don't hate the english and if i'm honest have never met any scot that does but i also have no bond to them or UK, to me its no different to france/holland just neighbouring countries.

I'm actually surprised so many down south really care, if wales or N.I wanted to leave (and no offence to either country) but i couldn't really care less.

Mick while u may be right about SNP (althou i'd say there is slightly more to them than that) i;d also say they've done a very good job of stirring up racial hatred ammoungst the english towards the scots.

Certainly when u read any of these threads the racial hatred seems to be coming more from south of the border..Some of the previous threads the abuse would be bordering on criminal if it was directed to a different race/skin colour/religion

I know i've certainly had too many negative experiences (anything from not accepting legal tender to physical fights and when we played football down there it was almost every week we had a battle on the oitch) traveling/woking in england that i rarely bother going south nowadays.

But i don't hate the english and if i'm honest have never met any scot that does but i also have no bond to them or UK, to me its no different to france/holland just neighbouring countries.

I'm actually surprised so many down south really care, if wales or N.I wanted to leave (and no offence to either country) but i couldn't really care less.

As someone who, during their working life, worked in most areas of the UK, all I can say to your comments is "it cuts both ways".

Scotslad, you're spot on (although there really isn't much more to the SNP than that, much like UKIP in so many ways). But I think this is/was the plan all along.

Wear down the English to the point where they'll be happy for the Scots to leave. I think a huge mistake for everyone involved.

You may have never met anyone that hated the English but I can assure you that even 20 years ago there were plenty of your fellow countymen that did. Oddly, I haven't met anyone from England that hates the Scots in return. We have communities here (one village is informally called 'Little Scotland' as so many Scots folk have moved there), no animosity, no vitriol, everyone just gets along as normal.

That whole 'they won't take Scottish money' thing is a red herring, some shop staff aren't the sharpest tools in the box and don't understand its perfectly legal tender, others are also naturally suspicious of money that appears out of the ordinary such is the increased risk of being passed a 'dud', that's all there is to it.

I initially found the hatred I was on the receiving end quite puzzling. I'm of immigrant stock, my father is still only resident status some fifty odd years later. With a German surname I had plenty of causal abuse from the English for years, I still do. The usual stuff, being called a nazi, having people snap there heels and present the sieg heil salute. Quite unpleasant really, especially as my mother is Polish and her father a decorated war hero who marched out of occupied Poland, across Europe and into North Africa to fight with the British against the Nazis.

I thought I might get a bit of respite in Scotland.

One thing I've found, amongst all small minded racists and xenophobes, is that they all share the same traits. Most often they're deeply flawed, insecure and moronic. In afraid Nichola and her pals are just another bunch of them.

Edited by mick miller

Most of us 'care' what the Scots and the Welsh do because we consider ourselves British first and English second. Without the Scottish and, to a lesser extent, the Welsh (I'm just kidding) we would be a poorer and much duller nation.

Plus whisky might go up in price.

Edited by mick miller

Actually, Mick's comment about Scotland being spared the worst excesses of freedom of movement is only partly true. They have a lot of hotels and restaurants in Scotland, serving the tourist trade, that depend almost entirely on Eastern Europe for their staff. Plenty of EU migrants are working in forestry, agriculture, fish farms, call centres etc in Scotland.

In many ways their economy is very dependant on migrant workers. Theirs is an immigration success story in that respect.

You may, however, be forgiven for wondering why a country with very high rates of unemployment needs to fly in workers from abroad? That's a separate story.

Edited by Vince Green

Workers are no issue, it's the flood of low skilled, Eastern European migrants that are the problem. In no way has Scotland had to tolerate the same level of blight that many parts of the UK has in recent years.

I think the Germans, sorry, EU might be happy to invite Scotland into the fold of the federalist state. Having totally consumed Greece, consigned swathes of the Mediterranean to a future of high unemployment and poverty with little chance of escape they're likely on the look out for a new country to feast on, who knows, Scotland could become the next zombie economy of Europe. We'd definitely need a hard border then.

Edited by mick miller

A lot of u realy have no clue.

I grew up right next to the border and have lost count on the ammount of times i've had money refused over the years, not so bad recently but in the past it was terrible.

I once had a wallet of scottish notes yet the petrol station wouldn't accept, had to walk a few miles to nearest cash machine (days before switch really came in)

There is a holes both sides of the border.It was rare for us to go for a night out and not get a fight if we went south of the border, yet never ever got in a fight in scotland.

When we played fitba down there he abuse we got all game was shocking and many would develop into a full on scrap, and that was 15-10 years ago so ong before any refernendum

Just like with brexit ur talking almost 50% of population so its more than just bigots and nationalists (and most of the bigotry will not be anti english but protestant/cathelic bigotry which is horrible and a real problem and very widespread along west coast/central belt) so not all that voted fr brexit are swizle eyed litte englanders or bnp supporters.

2 of my neighbours are english and they voted for indypendence.

The scots are generally a good friendly bunch althou generally don't tolerate idiots and will tell them straight instead of ignoring them. Sometimes folk like to blame the fact it was cause they were english when if fact it's just because there a numpty and where they came from was immaterial

If scotland is so hostile to every englishman why do so many live up here? Probably the no1 retirement country for many english that move to retire.

There is any small rural villages near me filled with retired english then get on the local councils and try to make things like little england and make ife hard for locals (but that could be a similar problem all over rural parts of yorkshire/cumbria devon etc) just we notice it more as all foriegn

A lot of u realy have no clue.

I grew up right next to the border and have lost count on the ammount of times i've had money refused over the years, not so bad recently but in the past it was terrible.

I once had a wallet of scottish notes yet the petrol station wouldn't accept, had to walk a few miles to nearest cash machine (days before switch really came in)

There is a holes both sides of the border.It was rare for us to go for a night out and not get a fight if we went south of the border, yet never ever got in a fight in scotland.

When we played fitba down there he abuse we got all game was shocking and many would develop into a full on scrap, and that was 15-10 years ago so ong before any refernendum

Just like with brexit ur talking almost 50% of population so its more than just bigots and nationalists (and most of the bigotry will not be anti english but protestant/cathelic bigotry which is horrible and a real problem and very widespread along west coast/central belt) so not all that voted fr brexit are swizle eyed litte englanders or bnp supporters.

2 of my neighbours are english and they voted for indypendence.

The scots are generally a good friendly bunch althou generally don't tolerate idiots and will tell them straight instead of ignoring them. Sometimes folk like to blame the fact it was cause they were english when if fact it's just because there a numpty and where they came from was immaterial

If scotland is so hostile to every englishman why do so many live up here? Probably the no1 retirement country for many english that move to retire.

There is any small rural villages near me filled with retired english then get on the local councils and try to make things like little england and make ife hard for locals (but that could be a similar problem all over rural parts of yorkshire/cumbria devon etc) just we notice it more as all foreign

Not sure what your rant has to do with the topic under discussion.

Since trouble seems to follow you about, perhaps you should look closer to home and stop blaming everybody else for their adverse reaction?

......I know i've certainly had too many negative experiences (anything from not accepting legal tender......

FYI

Scottish notes are not legal tender. Neither are English ones legal in Scotland.

Google "Are Scottish notes legal tender"

No, not even in Scotland, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be used. It simply means most people don't understand what legal tender is (see below). Bank of England notes are only legal tender in England and Wales, meaning there are no legal tender notes in Scotland at all.
True or false? Scottish notes aren't legal tender - Money Saving Expert
www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/.../05/true-or-false-scottish-notes-arent-legal-tender

Unquote

Good luck with wee Jimmie.

ATB

Iain (the clue is in the name).

Edited by Eyefor