Nicola Sturgeon Referendum News

figgy

Aye fair play to u DM, and to be fair to snp i doubt they would off had another referendum as quick either if it wasn't for brexit..

But i bet if the boot was on the other foot fargae would be doing the same (brexit vote 1st and scottish votes keep uk in, then scotland got independence) and i'd say he would be entitled to atleast talk about holding a 2nd vote far sooner than u really should.

He'd be screamig for a rerun without the scottish remain vote.

The 2 fish as many like to call them took a party from next to nothing to almost untouchable in scottish politics in just a couple of decades, not too dissimilar to fargae winning a GE with UKIP in 15yrs time.

U can't do that if u are not a decent operator, salmonds biggest mistake was not coming out mid referndum stating he'd step down after it if he won, a lot of folk voted against him personally.

I'm pretty certain that at brexit time and the live tv debates many english actually warmed to NS and she was 1 of the better speakers on the nights.

Just becuse u don't agree with someone philosophy or politics does not make them wrong

Ps Someone mentioned a debate earlier, and absolutley nothing wrong with a debate.

But i wouldn't exactly class this as a debate, surely a debate needs 2 sides?? i'm about the only person on 20 pages that would vote yes and i'm not that keen either, u can count the scots on 1 hand,

Just to me reads like a load of english (althou not everyone) mildly abusing my country and then high 5ing each other, then wondering why were not very united???

Edited by scotslad

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty certain that at brexit time and the live tv debates many english actually warmed to NS and she was 1 of the better speakers on the nights.

Just becuse u don't agree with someone philosophy or politics does not make them wrong

Ps Someone mentioned a debate earlier, and absolutley nothing wrong with a debate.

But i wouldn't exactly class this as a debate, surely a debate needs 2 sides?? i'm about the only person on 20 pages that would vote yes and i'm not that keen either, u can count the scots on 1 hand,

Just to me reads like a load of english (althou not everyone) mildly abusing my country and then high 5ing each other, then wondering why were not very united???

Well said. NS is much underestimated this side of the border a serious mistake in the long game.

I don't see a shedload of members mildly abusing Scotland and didn't realise, in any debate, that each side had to have the same numbers.

I have plenty of time for Scotland and its people. I have no time for Sturgeon. As for her being one of the better speakers - the rest must have been awful. She grates on my nerves with her patronising drivel. I don't honestly believe she is underestimated. Not one of my family, friends or acquaintances doesn't consider her to be a laughing stock.

Like I said - it's the equivalent of the population of an area the size of West Yorkshire holding the whole UK to account....and she calls it democracy!

That is also how the trade agreements work in the EU so she would fit right in with them, a multi billion trade deal with Canada derailed for years because of a few tomato growers in Belgium was only pushed through to stick a finger up at us after we had the gall to vote out.

Aye fair play to u DM, and to be fair to snp i doubt they would off had another referendum as quick either if it wasn't for brexit..

But i bet if the boot was on the other foot fargae would be doing the same (brexit vote 1st and scottish votes keep uk in, then scotland got independence) and i'd say he would be entitled to atleast talk about holding a 2nd vote far sooner than u really should.

He'd be screamig for a rerun without the scottish remain vote.

The 2 fish as many like to call them took a party from next to nothing to almost untouchable in scottish politics in just a couple of decades, not too dissimilar to fargae winning a GE with UKIP in 15yrs time.

U can't do that if u are not a decent operator, salmonds biggest mistake was not coming out mid referndum stating he'd step down after it if he won, a lot of folk voted against him personally.

Scotslad why do you feel the need to call yourself scotslad? Is this not a reference to nationalism? I don't see many on PW calling themselves Englishlad! Lol!

Do you seriously think Nigel Farage would stand any chance whatsoever of getting another Brexit referendum if the UK had voted to remain? the UK Government supported (were) the U.K. remain camp, and would certainly declare "you've had your chance and democracy has spoken".........you get no second referendum.

So why do you feel the SNP should be allowed to hold another independence referendum? Has not democracy already spoken on that issue too?

As for the claim regarding the SNP taking power in Scotland "in just a couple of decades" they didnt take power.....it was handed to them!.........which is usually what happens in politics! Exactly the same as the Brexit vote, it wasn't won by the brexiteers, it was handed to them on a plate, by the past performance of the EU!

By critisizing the nasty English ganging up on you as the sole Scot in the debate....you exhibit the same chip on your shoulder as the Nationalists with the UK government.

As far as I can see most commentators are not "picking" on Scotland.........just the anti UK, anti English, rabid, frothing at the mouth nationalists!

I give up.

To be honest panama i never gave my user name much thought, sorry if it offends u.

I don't have a chip on my shoulder at all, infact i'd actually say the way i read it it many of u that now seem to hae chips on ur shoulder about free prescriptions, healthcare and uni places and how we get more money per head etc.

Mibee it is just the difference in spoken word to written word esp when there is entrenched views, but i don't think there is a single anti english post on this thread (atleast not the way i read them) but there is plenty of anti scots BS and i've seen previous threads far worse.

And i do think u are being very niave if u lost the brexit vote and then the scots left taking away 1.6 million pro EU votes, the brexit parties would be all over it siting 'constitutional change' and to be fair i'd say they would have a point if that extra 1.6 million votes kept UK in EU.

Honestly i don't think even the snp wanted another referendum this quickly as it does just make a mockery of the last 1 ut with the consituional change i'd say they are right to atleast bring it up, But the timing is still too soon

And it was part of there holyrood manifesto so they'd being doing a U turn on a policy they were voted in on

scotslad - before you start having a pop, you might give some consideration to what you write.

You seem to see yourself as the only person on here defending Scotland. I don't accept that this is the case, but Scotland's cause is not helped by your rambling posts, littered with errors, hitting out in almost any direction.

I give up.

To be honest panama i never gave my user name much thought, sorry if it offends u.

I don't have a chip on my shoulder at all, infact i'd actually say the way i read it it many of u that now seem to hae chips on ur shoulder about free prescriptions, healthcare and uni places and how we get more money per head etc.

Mibee it is just the difference in spoken word to written word esp when there is entrenched views, but i don't think there is a single anti english post on this thread (atleast not the way i read them) but there is plenty of anti scots BS and i've seen previous threads far worse.

And i do think u are being very niave if u lost the brexit vote and then the scots left taking away 1.6 million pro EU votes, the brexit parties would be all over it siting 'constitutional change' and to be fair i'd say they would have a point if that extra 1.6 million votes kept UK in EU.

Honestly i don't think even the snp wanted another referendum this quickly as it does just make a mockery of the last 1 ut with the consituional change i'd say they are right to atleast bring it up, But the timing is still too soon

And it was part of there holyrood manifesto so they'd being doing a U turn on a policy they were voted in on

It does not offend me scotslad.......I just point it out as it implies you possess a nationalistic bent, Freudian rather than deliberate perhaps? But something you deny!

As for free prescriptions, uni places etc, I personally never give a thought as to how the SNP are spending their budget, we all know it is to garner the support of the Scottish electorate for their extreme nationalist agenda...if people swallow it, that says a lot about the people that support them!......but I was always taught "there is no such thing as a free lunch"

Edited by panoma1

I

Ive just re read the entirety of this 'anti Scotland' debate.

And apart from the odd comment from either a silly poster,or a little bit of tongue in cheek style banter, I cant see where youre coming from?

More people praised Scotland and its people, more people said they didnt want Scotland to leave, by a huge margin.

One misinformed person mentioned the tuition fees ect.

And seriously scotslad, if you believe that leaving the union 'wont really affect you' you need a reality check.

Ill spell it out, people here are criticising Sturgeon ,not Scotland or its people.

Ill spell it out, people here are criticising Sturgeon ,not Scotland or its people.

Thanks for that Rewulf.

As a Scot who voted no in the indy ref and exit in brexit I am more than happy to have banter between PW members with no intended malice. I think there may be some on both sides of the "border" who have a strong dislike for each others country and countrymen. That's unfortunate but we have

and will continue to live with them. I like many other Scots have a dislike to Sturgeon and the way the SNP are ruining the country and if we

could we should have another election just to see if the SNP have the desire of the Scots as they think they have.

When a snap westminister election is called as many are predicting how do yous think this will reflect on the snp...will it be fought as a pre referendum election and how would the ppl of scotland vote,or are there no others able to mount a challange or offer somethin else....

Thanks for that Rewulf.As a Scot who voted no in the indy ref and exit in brexit I am more than happy to have banter between PW members with no intended malice. I think there may be some on both sides of the "border" who have a strong dislike for each others country and countrymen. That's unfortunate but we haveand will continue to live with them. I like many other Scots have a dislike to Sturgeon and the way the SNP are ruining the country and if wecould we should have another election just to see if the SNP have the desire of the Scots as they think they have.

I can, hand on my heart honestly say, I have never known an English person voice a genuine dislike for either Scotland or the Scottish people! Quite the contrary! Banter yes....dislike, no!........Can you say the same of some Scots (nationalists?) when talking about the English?

Of course during our lives, we will all meet individuals and come up against organisations, in our own country and throughout the world that we dislike and/or can't take to, for whatever reason..........but excluding racists and xenophobes, that reason is generally the way they are towards us, not because of heritage or nationality.........let's get it right, most English people see the UK as "us".....the Nationalists propagate a feeling in Scotland of "them and us" the SNP foster this anti UK, anti English feeling in Scotland because it devides us and pushes forward their Nationalist agenda.........I for one, hope the Scottish people don't let it!

'Quote'

"That's unfortunate but we have and will continue to live with "THEM".........should the words 'with THEM' not be replaced by TOGETHER?......only a word, but one that is devisive! Not worthy of a Scot, only of the SNP

Panoma1 & GR, I understand what you are saying I don't think what I said came over the way I wanted to.

Yes living together is far better than living with them, but within that togetherness there will be some that we will have to put up with even if we don't like to.

I am referring to people who do have the chips, and I don't think they could be polished out.

Over the last 30 years working offshore I have worked with many people from all parts of the UK and the world, and unfortunately there have been

some who do have a bitter hatred for someone else whither it be between football teams or country's and these people will never change. I have had some great banter and I think I have learnt over the years to identify what is good and sometimes bad banter but I have never held it against anyone. We can all agree to disagree on some topics but to hold a grudge or bitterness against them is not on.

Having lived in all of the home nations I must say the only place I have felt the people to be hostile and so rampantly bigoted as to difficult to work with as to be almost impossible to work with was Wales. Even then it was a small (?10%) but vocal minority.

The scots seem with exceptionally rare exceptions to be a decent bunch.

I suspect the current problems re the neverendum stem from the huge number of SNP seats won 'on a manifesto of another referendum if Brexit was voted for'. This fails to account for the fact that the SNP were arguably the only electable party in Scotland, nationalist or not. The conservatives are too fiscally conservative for scottish tastes, labour had failed to deliver a sufficiently left wing government for their tastes, and the libdems self destructed. The bulk of scots in my understanding of the data voted SNP as the only remaining party not because of a wish for independence.

Having got power they now must either alienate their core supporters by not delivering the referendum which was a manifesto promise, or alienate the quiet majority who have nowhere else to go.

Having lived in all of the home nations I must say the only place I have felt the people to be hostile and so rampantly bigoted as to difficult to work with as to be almost impossible to work with was Wales. Even then it was a small (?10%) but vocal minority.

I've lived in Wales my entire life and think most of this sort of talk to be nothing more than myth and rumour, I can only speak for south Wales but others who say that they're English ect and when they walk in a shop everyone starts talking welsh, I can only assume they were talking welsh in the first place, either that or they're telling tall tails as I've never seen it. Wales gets its fair share of idiots but no more or less than anywhere else.

I've lived in Wales my entire life and think most of this sort of talk to be nothing more than myth and rumour, I can only speak for south Wales but others who say that they're English ect and when they walk in a shop everyone starts talking welsh, I can only assume they were talking welsh in the first place, either that or they're telling tall tails as I've never seen it. Wales gets its fair share of idiots but no more or less than anywhere else.

Unfortunately incorrect - I was working on Anglsey a few years back and went into the local shop - as I entered everyone was speaking in english for a few seconds until they noticed me when they switched to welsh - so I used a stock phrase of swedish to ask if they spoke english and they all switched back and looked embarased when I spoke again

Unfortunately incorrect - I was working on Anglsey a few years back and went into the local shop - as I entered everyone was speaking in english for a few seconds until they noticed me when they switched to welsh - so I used a stock phrase of swedish to ask if they spoke english and they all switched back and looked embarased when I spoke again

Afraid your incorrect, Re-read my post, particularly the bit about speaking for south Wales, I've only ever stepped in North Wales once, although I can't imagine it being much worse than anywhere else, people are people the world over.