sgc holder cleared over shooting man on his property

7daysinaweek

Just come across this on the news: Would make an assumption that the use of reasonable force and fearing endangerment of life was taken into account by the jury. Would this be a test case to support unfortunate individuals in a similar situation. Must have been a very frightening experience, one i would not wish for anyone!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-39233017

Apologies if this has already been threaded.

atb

7diaw

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going to post this morning but the verdict hadn't been delivered so wasn't really in the public domain. 24 minutes is all it took for the jury to decide... The fact that his chum dropped him off at the hospital then was never seen again says it all.

Well it was in the Sun newspaper this morning, now then did the perps not say they were hunting rabbits? considering they accidentally stumbled onto the farm with presumably a firearm for hunting the rabbits with does that make them guilty of aggravated trespass with a firearm?

How could he claim discharging a shotgun was reasonable force when he couldn't see what the threat was in the first place? Sod running out of fuel/breaking down late at night and knocking on his door lol

I do see your point matt, however i was pointing out i assume that the jury have taken into account that under the current law the chap in hand had genuinely felt his life was at risk. Also discharging a firearm in that moment was proportionate at having a vehicle drive at him i an agressive manner as felt to endanger life. No one will ever know the exact turn of events only the individuals involved.

atb

7diaw

Edited by 7daysinaweek

How could he claim discharging a shotgun was reasonable force when he couldn't see what the threat was in the first place? Sod running out of fuel/breaking down late at night and knocking on his door lol

They drove at him at night with the headlights off. I would say that was very threatening. :good:

I read this in the paper this morning.

The farmer is 83 years old and the ****** that was shot in the foot and his mate claim they were looking for rabbits with their dog and stumbled into the farmyard by mistake.

Apparently, the poor chap has to be wheeled everywhere since the shooting......I wonder how quickly he will heal now the not guilty verdict reduces any chance he has of getting some compo.

Guest cookoff013

i`d like to add a few thoughts....

1, it seem odd that someone randomly appears on farmland not to steal diesel.

2, Mr stables, was out hunting rabbits with his friend? armed with what? if someone appears to be reving up and engine, he isnt very concerned with his safety after being shot at..

i`d be concerned whos going about stealing diesel tooled up to shoot rabbits (probably not tooled up, but seriously?)

nb,

just wait for the claims of post traumatic stress after being shot in the foot.

Playing devils advocate here.

I thought that in order to satisfy a court that acceptable force was used in discharging a gun that you would have to have"known" that the other bloke was armed and willing.

You do not have to be armed to endanger the life of another

Reading the article I don't think they were driving at him but trying to get away from the farm.

"stumbled on the farm accidently" well I would have thought the farm was off the main road and have an obvious entrance, so its obvious they were up to no good so they got what they deserve in my opinion.

Guess it begs the question that if you get to his age and fear for your safety would you do the same?

Reading the article I don't think they were driving at him but trying to get away from the farm.

"stumbled on the farm accidently" well I would have thought the farm was off the main road and have an obvious entrance, so its obvious they were up to no good so they got what they deserve in my opinion.

Guess it begs the question that if you get to his age and fear for your safety would you do the same?

Don't answer that one or the 'Thought Police' will be round to collect your guns!

Playing devils advocate here.

I thought that in order to satisfy a court that acceptable force was used in discharging a gun that you would have to have"known" that the other bloke was armed and willing.

he was armed with a car .

I will be interested to see the outcome regarding his licence. I suspect he can kiss it goodbye.

Whatever fear he felt, he took a shotgun with him - albeit for self defence. Not really a legitimate reason to own a shotgun.

the legitimate reason for owning the shotgun was I am sure target or game shooting.