Bought a Pump Action, What do you use yours for?

Wingman

Popped out today to buy a slab of cartridges from my usual local RFD. As usual had a peruse of the secondhand guns on the racks and came across a nice old Mossberg 600AT New Haven. Had a play and it felt nice was in reasonable nick and cutting a long story short I walked out having put down 50% of the price as a deposit!

Now, I certainly dont need another gun, but have never owned a pump action and just fancy adding one to the cabinet. I think I could use it for rough shooting and on pigeons, although not sure how helpful the racking sound will be but I do sort of like the redneck feel of it! So now I am sat here and thinking, OK its cheap but will I really use it? Could I take it to my local clay ground for a round of sporting, not sure how it would go down with the other shooters??

Therefore onto my question, what do you pump-owners use your guns for, does anyone clay shoot with one and what sort of reception do you get?

Oh, and are these old Mossberg's any good?

Its got a C-Lect twisty choke thing on it, not a clue how that works!

I use mine for clay shooting sometimes. I get a few looks and whispers but it's all fun, especially clearing a stand of pair targets! CPSA rules state you can use them but only Section 2, I believe.

The C-Lect choke just twists to change the constriction - it will be marked as such. It's no fun to clean though... Unscrew it til it comes off, then pick the plastic fouling out of the gaps with a toothpick or something :D

I've used mine for clays and pigeons. It's obviously not as quick as a semi or an O/U but it's fun to have a play with every now and again. As for what other shooters think . . . I couldn't care less. As long as I'm sticking to the rules of the ground then it's nothing to do with them.

On a side note I used to do a lot of those Groupon deals and would generally use the pump for it. Most of the time they would only be firing one shot and it was very easy to stand at the side of them and slip in the next shell. If they were half competent I'd usually let them try a couple of shots working the pump. It always went down well and of all the guns used it was the one that most people wanted a photograph with.

I used to have a Mossberg pump and a lot of fun it was mostly at pigeon. My down fall after shooting my o/u or semi a lot I was forgetting to rack the gun for the second shot and that really started to annoy me. But racking a pump action has to be one of my favourite sounds ever.

I've used mine for clays but mostly PSG. Quick doubles or sim pair are difficult with a pump action so I just do them as singles generally. I find it much more enjoyable that way. I've only ever taken it to two clay grounds and neither seemed that bothered by me using a pump action. Just flag and put it in a slip between stands stops any doubt/worry from other shooters. Don't forget to post a picture in the pump club when you get it. :)

But racking a pump action has to be one of my favourite sounds ever.

Yep and I think that what draw me to it, bit daft really!

Although I do fancy replacing the wood with a synthetic stock and using it for clays every now again, but have to admit I have been sitting here wondering if I have done the right thing!

Yep and I think that what draw me to it, bit daft really!

Although I do fancy replacing the wood with a synthetic stock and using it for clays every now again, but have to admit I have been sitting here wondering if I have done the right thing!

You're wondering if having another shotgun is the right thing?

Have you listened to yourself man!

:lol:

Clays and rabbits here.

It might not be potentially as good as an o/u or a self-loader for clays, and I take your point about breaking the rhythm when you rack the slide, but it's such fun!

The only comments 'Enry the 'iggins has attracted at the local clay shoot have been of the, "that's in good nick - how old is it?" variety.

Plus clearing a stand that folks with all the right gear are struggling with has a similar grin-factor to doing it with the traditional 'Baikal held together with baler twine' :D

Have a Hatsan pump myself and use it for all my clay, pigeon, corvids!! Once you get used to cycling the action you will be quite surprised just how fast you can cycle it with little movement off of the subject target line! Have had mine quite a while and have had many 1000s through it. Went skeet clay shooting last weekend, didn't do too bad with 19x25! Some others wanted a go with the pump, was so funny watching others trying to cycle fast on the pairs lol not easy i know but like i said with practice it not impossible!!! Am sure you will have lots of fun with yours!!!

I have the same model but in S1; it is used for pigeons and rabbits. My S2 S&W is used for everything I use my OU's for.

Are they easy to strip down to clean? I read somewhere that you can't remove the slide rails on this model without removing the mag tube. I wanted to strip her down and clean it fully before using as it's quite dirty.

I use a Benelli Supernova for every sort of shooting.

The trick with a pump is practice, practice and more practice. People who say that a pump is a disadvantage on clays, or whatever, have apparently not yet attained the automatic level of reflex operation of the slide which should be done without any conscious thought whatsoever.

If pumping the action is slowing you down, then you`re still thinking about it.

A pump works better when it`s been run in and loosened up a bit. If it encourages you to keep up the practice it might help you to know that every major U.S. clay shooting competition, and Olympic gold, has at some time been won by a shooter with a pump.

I have had a Remmy 870 for 25 yrs or more and it is a work horse, mainly for crow and pigeon decoying and occasionally flighting. With practise you can get some very quick shots off and shouldn't be overly handicapped at clays.

The law men in the USA use the Mossbergs quite a lot and they have a reputation of being reliable. I also have a 500 Mossie in 410 with a moderated barrel and that has been abused but still cycles perfectly. Have fun with it.

Are they easy to strip down to clean? I read somewhere that you can't remove the slide rails on this model without removing the mag tube. I wanted to strip her down and clean it fully before using as it's quite dirty.

I've got a mossy 500 which I think is similar. YouTube how to strip them. It's pretty simple.

Can't say I've ever stripped it down that far.