SNAP (General Election)

Lloyd90

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blinding speech

Subliminal wording that if your a Labour supporter wishing for Brexit then you have to vote Tory.

But she could lose Conservative 'remainer' votes to the LibDems.

Just what we need. Two months of the news being dominated by politics. Yawn.

Yep! Really kicked the other parties with that IMO! Lots of Labour areas voted for Brexit, Labour could lose seats all over the country!

Don't hold your breath. Where I live in west Yorkshire, the public will vote Labour regardless. Even though there was massive support for brexit and Cornyn holds people like them in contempt.

Interesting times.

Wow.

She's throwing the dice, but it seems like an educated gamble to take absolute control.

Labour are totally and utterly unelectable and the LibDems are in the wilderness.

This is designed to get her a massive majority and then start some spring cleaning inside the Tory party.

I didn't see that one coming but it makes sense.

Wow.

She's throwing the dice, but it seems like an educated gamble to take absolute control.

Labour are totally and utterly unelectable and the LibDems are in the wilderness.

This is designed to get her a massive majority and then start some spring cleaning inside the Tory party.

I didn't see that one coming but it makes sense.

Power corrupts; absolute....................

But she could lose Conservative 'remainer' votes to the LibDems.

Just what we need. Two months of the news being dominated by politics. Yawn.

True- of course the risk is there.

It's well known that I'm a 'Remainer', however with the SS GB needing a firm hand at the tiller I will vote Conservative.

Those Labour strongholds will remain so, regardless but I do think there will be some movement no matter how ingrained Labour is in some.

Regarding Scotland- maybe this is a way of May playing on dwindling support for "the wee one" and maybe she is hoping to give her the metaphorical 'bloody nose'

Edited by Jaymo

True- of course the risk is there.

It's well known that I'm a 'Remainer', however with the SS GB needing a firm hand at the tiller I will vote Conservative.

Those Labour strongholds will remain so, regardless but I do think there will be some movement no matter how ingrained Labour is in some.

Regarding Scotland- maybe this is a way of May playing on dwindling support for "the wee one" and maybe she is hoping to give her the metaphorical 'bloody nose'

Some of those Labour heartlands voted over 70% for Brexit! Mays saying a vote for the conservatives is a vote for Brexit, could be the biggest political shift we've seen in years if she can swing some of them!

And all those UKIP votes washing back into the Tory party....

Anyone who pays tax and has an IQ in double digits and above will be voting Conservative.

The lib dems may scratch a couple of extra seats, but politically they are nowhere.

Also there now appears to be a sense of getting behind a leader (who is clearly the best of a bad bunch) and so it's going to be a Thatcher-esque landslide.

All you diehard labour voters, get your crying out the way now because it's already over before it began :lol:

Edited by Mungler

The way that I look at it Labour could turn it into another Brexit vote then there are lots of people who wanted to stay in who could think even if they do not like Labour it would be worth having Labour in for power for five years to stay in the EU.

I have to say that having an election when we are in the middle of trying to arrange a good Brexit is MAD MAD MAD.

I don't think its particularly mad - quite a smooth move to be honest.

TM will be aware that although the country is/was divided on the Brexit issue, by and large the majority just want to get on with it. Labour is fractured, JC is ineffectual and unpopular in his own party. A snap election means that Labour wont be able to get their house in order in time. UKIP are gone, and you would imagine that they would vote conservative if the alternative is Labour.

Labour heartlands that went Brexit - Labour may hang onto seats, but if they play the 'we will no longer exit' card (which as I see it is the only hope they have of getting more votes) then I imagine that may just not work out for them.

SNP are rocking, they have very vocal support but they may lose seats to Labour. That hits the wee one right in the referendum.

A win means the conservatives have a stronger bargaining position in the exit negotiations - EU will be less able to use domestic dissention against us and give TM a massive mandate. A huge conservative majority really helps in the negotiations. It is still early days in the discussions, so not mad at all.

The way that I look at it Labour could turn it into another Brexit vote then there are lots of people who wanted to stay in who could think even if they do not like Labour it would be worth having Labour in for power for five years to stay in the EU.

I have to say that having an election when we are in the middle of trying to arrange a good Brexit is MAD MAD MAD.

No chance.

A good slug of those that voted for "remain" were higher rate tax payers who were voting for the norm and stability; that does not correspond with a vote for labour or indeed a vote for Corbyn.

I think it's a clever and strong move.

Forget everything else - does anyone ever see Corbyn winning an election?

I don't think its particularly mad - quite a smooth move to be honest.

TM will be aware that although the country is/was divided on the Brexit issue, by and large the majority just want to get on with it. Labour is fractured, JC is ineffectual and unpopular in his own party. A snap election means that Labour wont be able to get their house in order in time. UKIP are gone, and you would imagine that they would vote conservative if the alternative is Labour.

Labour heartlands that went Brexit - Labour may hang onto seats, but if they play the 'we will no longer exit' card (which as I see it is the only hope they have of getting more votes) then I imagine that may just not work out for them.

SNP are rocking, they have very vocal support but they may lose seats to Labour. That hits the wee one right in the referendum.

A win means the conservatives have a stronger bargaining position in the exit negotiations - EU will be less able to use domestic dissention against us and give TM a massive mandate. A huge conservative majority really helps in the negotiations. It is still early days in the discussions, so not mad at all.

sounds very plausible :good:

Good Move ! Perfect timing !

She's going in for the kill, this will wipe the Labour Party off the political map and consolidate her position on Brexit and in the country

Checkmate

This will strengthen LePen's position in France too so she may have influenced that election as well.

Edited by Vince Green

A shrewd move in my opinion.

Miles ahead of a Labour more divided than ever before in the polls. Corbyn checkmated through his tacit support for Leave in the referendum against the broader will of his party - now he can stick to his guns and crash and burn or U-turn and try to ride a pro-Remain ticket and then crash and burn anyway while the party eats itself.

Lib Dems listless and still tarred by association from the years of coalition government.

The sands are shifting somewhat under the SNP with the drop in potential oil revenues since the Independence Referendum and a complete lack of clarity about the viability of future EU membership.

UKIP's thunder comprehensively stolen.

If I had to make a prediction, I think that Labour will dither over taking a leave/remain stance and will collapse at the polls, splitting in the aftermath. The Lib Dems will make some gains on a firm Remain platform but in doing so will be riven with internal dissent over their recent association with the Cons and will have a weak, disunited voice in Parliament. Scotland is harder to call, but I could see Sturgeon losing ground to Ruth Jones' Scottish Cons. UKIP will dissipate as a party having gained no seats. I think the winners will be the Conservatives, by a landslide.