Road Kills

marsh man

Yesterday we had a drive up to Norwich , which from mine is about 25 miles , during the journey both ways on the A47 we must have passed at least 10 dead deer , ( not sure of the species ) one adult Badger , two Foxes , one Pigeon and 3 or 4 cock Pheasants.

I know a lot of wild life get run over on all the roads up and down the country but if this amount is normal we must be losing a huge amount throughout the year.

Have you noticed more than normal dead stuff on the roads ? , if so what has came to grief the most , or maybe you have seen less , would be interested to know. THANKS.

Yep, lots recently, pheasants predominantl, it has been carnage for them since the season finished. Counted 40+ on just a few miles of road recently. Quite few foxes and fox cubs in the last week or so. Occasional badgers, hedgehogs, plus of course rabbits and hares.

Notice you didn't list any rabbits ?

Always used to see loads and loads of squashed rabbits.

Ps. Ohhh and hedgehogs

I had to keep at least one eye on the road T D , if not I might had been included on the list. :yes:

We where just saying the same thing about a estate here with a main road threw it there's always dead pheasants on it we wondered if the keeper reared a extra 1000 to cover the road ?.

Yep, lots recently, pheasants predominantl, it has been carnage for them since the season finished. Counted 40+ on just a few miles of road recently. Quite few foxes and fox cubs in the last week or so. Occasional badgers, hedgehogs, plus of course rabbits and hares.

We do gets loads of Pheasants run over all the year round , although I would say the worse time is when the poults have been released out of the pens and they wonder down the roads eating the grain that have spilled out of the tractor and trailers

Mostly badgers on the roads around here.

Badgers are getting more established around these parts but it is still a talking point to see a dead one on the roads , not a everyday occurrence .

Them black eyed magpies never seem to cop it while they are eating the roadkill though.

No and nor do the Rooks , very rare you come across one that has got it timing to scarper wrong .

The A66 is my main road of use, and there is a multitude of road kill at any time of year, consisting of the odd fox, a lot of badgers, a lot of badgers, the odd hedgehog and always pheasants, the casualties of which are countless up to and during the shooting season. In town itself, up around the castle, it isn't rare to see the occasional red squirrel laminated to the tarmac either.

trouble is the cock birds mark out and patrol their territory....and if that includes a road ...so be it............they are not machine savy.....to say the least they are a bit arrogant....its whore moans that dull the brain sense...........

I am not fore or against Hunting but I did note some years ago when driving back from somewhere the local Hunt was out and I could not believe how many dead foxes I saw on the roads it must have been about six I assume that they new that the hunt was out and fled out in all directions with lots of them being hit by cars/trucks.

Badger,s badger,s and more badger,s going to work ,4 x foxes and a couple of polecat/ferret looking squashed creatures.Last Deer was at the side of the A55 going to Rhyl .Rabbits are common place and all this years young need rabbits need a word with the green cross man

We used to drive back from the pictures in Dundee and the roadside used to be full of baby rabbits, looking like they were daring each other to run under a car, the wife used to hate driving that stretch.

know the feeling...........when i used to take my daughter anywhere....i used to squash a few.....my cop out was to say..."its alright ..ive just stunned it"......................this went on for years............

well she is married and has a daughter of her own now ...and i was driving with her last week when she was taking my grandaughter to a Brownie sleepover.......yup ...she squashed a rabbit on the way there......said grandughter squealed in dismay............mum casually says...."dont worry darling"...."ive only stunned it"...........

i tell you that made me larf... :lol:

Thanks guys , all interesting stuff. Badgers seem to be high up on the list with a high proportion of Pheasants and whatever you have got in abundance in your area.

There must be quite a few one offs as well , I know when our local naturalist was alive he kept a diary of the road kills on a stretch of the A47 between Yarmouth and Acle and when he put the results in the paper was interesting reading , there was often birds of prey , Swans , coypus and a variety of birds with only the odd Fox getting a mention.

I have only ever seen one Otter laying dead on the side of the road but I am sure you have seen some strange animals or birds as well .

Thanks guys , all interesting stuff. Badgers seem to be high up on the list with a high proportion of Pheasants and whatever you have got in abundance in your area.

There must be quite a few one offs as well , I know when our local naturalist was alive he kept a diary of the road kills on a stretch of the A47 between Yarmouth and Acle and when he put the results in the paper was interesting reading , there was often birds of prey , Swans , coypus and a variety of birds with only the odd Fox getting a mention.

I have only ever seen one Otter laying dead on the side of the road but I am sure you have seen some strange animals or birds as well .

now that would have been interesting...................

know the feeling...........when i used to take my daughter anywhere....i used to squash a few.....my cop out was to say..."its alright ..ive just stunned it"......................this went on for years............

We'll my missis hit one one day thankfully it was quiet and away from the main road because she burst into tears!!!