Explaining terror attacks to kids

ElvisThePelvis

Of course we all want to protect our kids from everything bad in the world but what th access to internet and terrible press reporting of events, how should we educate our kids to the reasons why are the fact that we are still a very safe environment.

I'm looking for some suggestions to broach the topic with kids aged 6 and 9 in a sensitive way which won't make them terrified when I'm in London, Paris, NY etc for work

As with most things the school playground is not the best way for them to learn.

The sad fact is we aren't safe any more. The government does nothing but clear up the mess after each atrocity.

My lad was a kid on a school trip to the science museum the day of the 7/7 bombings. We couldn't contact him or the teachers. My wife was in bits. I have never been so worried in my life.

Not being scared doesn't make you safe from these treacherous dogs.

You can play it down so they don't worry about you, but they need to be more vigilant than ever.

You should explain it to your kids they should be worried and they should be aware , all it takes is a bag left somewhere , i dont think its like when we where young and you could let kids be kids there inquisitive and into most things anything strange and they should report it , but the worst thing is after the event the government comes out and states these people where on the alert register and they knew about them you cant protect your kids from that

The sad fact is we aren't safe any more. The government does nothing but clear up the mess after each atrocity.

My lad was a kid on a school trip to the science museum the day of the 7/7 bombings. We couldn't contact him or the teachers. My wife was in bits. I have never been so worried in my life.

Not being scared doesn't make you safe from these treacherous dogs.

You can play it down so they don't worry about you, but they need to be more vigilant than ever.

This.

The chances of being involved are slim, but as things escalate the sense of being terrorised becomes very real.

Kids don't need protecting from the real world; they need the facts. I used to tell mine that there are just some very evil people in this world but the chances of me or them being involved are very small. They're 20 and 17 now and I now tell them that the responsibility to look after themselves and those they care for starts and ends with them and me. Who else can do it?

Not that I am in any way left wing and even my own mother considers me somewhat bold politically, how on earth are people mindlessley expecting these fundamentalist communities to 'grass' on their own when 'friemds' dont even grass on the mates for drink driving home from the pub every day. Something like 3000 deaths and serious injuries a year attributable to drink driving???

This........

My little girl 5, going on 6 shocked us last week. We had very deliberately kept her from seeing most of the news after the attack in Manchester, my opinion being she doesn't need to know she's 5, children should be able to be children.

The week after she sees all the balloons in Manchester on the news, I explain that a nasty person did something bad and killed people, o yeah Mrs such and such said there had been a bomb, can I go outside now.

Obviously young enough to not let it register properly yet but these things will most likely get worse before they get better.

My daughter is 5 and I made the conscious decision to turn the news off this morning. She's very mature for her age but she doesn't need to know about all the horrible stuff in the world. I want to protect her childhood innocence for as long as possible. This mornings coverage with the guy describing horrific stabbings was just too much for young ears.

They hear too much at school off other kids and my son (11)was terrified and thought all Muslims are extremists.I kept him off school the Friday after the Manchester event due to his constant questions all that week.We went fishing and chatted casually about it most of the day & I put him straight that its not all Muslims, but its only a minority that are extremists.I advised him to take gossip at school or anywhere else with a pinch of salt.If he has any worries or questions to come and see mum and dad 1st.

What I found rather worrying is that the school haven't said anything to the children or tried to at least explain a few things.Dont know what they could do to be honest other than try and stop the Chinese whispers.My son said some kids had seen footage of injuries (YouTube or something other internet media).He kept saying that other children at school said "it's going to be the Metro Centre next dad"Well that's a place we frequent quite often,wonder what reaction I'm going to get if I want to take him there?

My 2 have been asking me about it, told them it's nothing for them to worry about and that it's a small number of silly people that believe the way we live is wrong and want to punish people like us, no point sugar coating it. They asked me when it will stop, I told them wars are happening everyday in places they have never heard of and it will continue as long as people are involved.

Explained to them that if they hide/worry about it then their lives will be very boring and to carry on, as they wouldn't do those things in the area we live due to the fact it wouldn't get enough publicity for them to do it. They have been asking a lot of questions as kids do.

Mrs went mad.....told her not to hide things from them....we can't protect them from everything all of the time, you have to just give them the truth so they can make their own decisions

Edited by fuzzypigeon

I am going to a concert at Wembley in a couple of weeks at another one in Norwich the week after. My daughter (11), who is very sensitive, is worried about her mum and dad going to the Wembley one and has asked what would happen to her and her brother if we were killed. I know it's a massive overreaction but we are considering not going. She seems far more relaxed about the Norwich concert Take That) simply because nobody has attacked Norwich before!

Difficult.. The morning after Manchester I had some worried kids in the car I was taking to school. I explained that the risk wss low and not to worry etc.. That calmed everything down in the morning. Only to be met with a couple in their form didn't turn up as they were there that night so just tamen the day off. Another had repoted that a cousin had lost an Arm. What's strange is that it's not been a problem since. I can't explain why and don't wsnt to bring it up again. From comments made last nights concert. The Kids were mostley keen to go whereas it was the parents were on edge.

Edited by Paul1440