26 inch

kody

Nothing wrong with 26" in most circumstances, but not considered ideal for the longest shots for reasons mainly (I think) of being harder to maintain a steady swing. For where you want a light fast gun and are happy to use suitable loads in the light to mid levels (i.e. 21 to 30g), 26" is fine. My only real objection is that they tend to be noisier! I have 27, 28, and 30" and prefer 28".

I have a Churchill Style 25" barrelled SxS, it takes pheasants out of the sky very nicely with an ounce of No6 from George at Proper Cartridges!

hello, yes those that had the 25s back in the 1970/80s used eley impax 1 oz, the one i am selling is a 26inch with churchill style rib, side lock edjector, just cannot get on with S/S anymore with my eye sight,

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Guest cookoff013

go for the shorter length. nout wrong with them, afterall, its the shot that hits the target not the barrel.

often with these guns the trend is to use traditional game loads. modern traditional game loads are uncomfortable to shoot in a light sxs.

even 36g subs are a pleasure to shoot in a nice light short gun. and still hits like a freight train.

go for the shorter length. nout wrong with them, afterall, its the shot that hits the target not the barrel.

often with these guns the trend is to use traditional game loads. modern traditional fashionable game loads are uncomfortable to shoot in a light sxs.

even 36g subs are a pleasure to shoot in a nice light short gun. and still hits like a freight train.

Sorted.

Know what you meant though. :good:

I have a sidelock SxS 26" with churchil rib and I can miss just as easily with it than my 28" or 30" guns. I don't find much difference to be honest but it may depend on your style. I am a "mount swing shoot" kind of Churchill method bloke.

Its all in the mind .25 years ago you could not sell a long barreled game gun to an American and most people considered any 30" game gun as old fashioned . The current trend for longer barrels is just that . A mate of mine has shot grouse , pheasant, doves and geese very successfully with his 26" side by side with 2&3/4" chambers . I asked him once what it was choked , he replied that he didn't know and didn't care. He bought the gun because he liked it and just took it out and shot it .

Its all in the mind .25 years ago you could not sell a long barreled game gun to an American and most people considered any 30" game gun as old fashioned . The current trend for longer barrels is just that . A mate of mine has shot grouse , pheasant, doves and geese very successfully with his 26" side by side with 2&3/4" chambers . I asked him once what it was choked , he replied that he didn't know and didn't care. He bought the gun because he liked it and just took it out and shot it .

Exactly, shooting and specifically guns like all things in life go through phases were the latest fad becomes desirable. Adj combs, hi ribs, tapered ribs, multi choke now specifically extended chokes the list seems endless. For me I am like your friend, if gun feels right I just shoot the thing.

It surprises me how many people are prepared to lug around heavy ,long barrelled o/u guns when rough shooting or on smaller days .Can`t be pleasant !

As a caveat ,I do own such things but don`t find them handy for game shooting........

Some real bargains to be had in 26" guns because of the current silly trend towards artillery pieces to shoot at game ! Makes no difference,if you can shoot.

Yep. Factor in non ejector and 2 triggers (and possibly 2.5" chambers) and you've cracked it. The only problem is to watch for excessively open chokes as many were spoiled when back along this was also de rigueur.

It surprises me how many people are prepared to lug around heavy ,long barrelled o/u guns when rough shooting or on smaller days .Can`t be pleasant !

As a caveat ,I do own such things but don`t find them handy for game shooting........

I've walked miles for grouse with a 30" Beretta at 8 1/2 lbs. Looking back, I must have been mad! Now use an AyA No 1 28", and save about 2 lbs.

I like the above, I have XXV,s in boxlock and sidelock. A sidelock in 26 all 12's and an o/u in 20. All in all it is personal preference. It don't make any difference whatsoever to me. I'll shoot anything because​ I just see the target. It is just as easy to mis with anything. I just prefer the shorter barrels and if you put the lead on the target then it will work.

Edited by fortune