Caution with rape stubble.

Cranfield

Harvest started on a large block of three adjoining rape fields on Tuesday and I have shot (with the combine working) in different parts of the block every afternoon since.

For domestic reasons at the moment, I start around 1pm and finish soon after 4pm.

There have been a steady stream of birds, mostly singles and pairs, with the odd small group of mostly juvenile birds.

Over the 3 days I have shot bags of 62, 57 and today 71.

During the harvesting you could hear the combine struggling a bit, as there seemed to be a thick crop this year.

This meant there was quite a lot of long thick stubble on the field, which made moving through it difficult.

Today I shot 2 birds out of a group of 3 and both birds seemed to drop stone dead.

As I had a couple of other birds on the ground, I decided to walk out and clean up, leaving my gun in the hide (as usual).

When I got near the decoys I picked 3 dead birds and then realised that another one was winged and was walking off.

I hurried after it and pushed through the stubble, as I picked it up my feet got tangled in stubble and ground weed and I fell over.

Fortunately , I was able get my arms (still holding the dead birds) near my head, but still sustained cuts and scrapes to my face and neck and my shooting glasses were bent, when a piece of stubble hit the lens and twisted the glasses off.

A generous coating of Savlon has stopped the stinging, the cuts and scratches will heal and I was never going to win any beauty contests anyway, but I was lucky that the glasses prevented what could have been serious damage to my eye.

I have shot over rape stubble since it first became a crop and have torn clothing, scratched my legs and ruined wellington boots, but I have never fallen over before.

Just a heads up for us all to be a bit more careful, its easy to get complacent and get distracted, as I was in trying to pick up a winged bird quickly.

well said....... :good: .....

hasnt happened to me but it happened to a much older person walking next to me...the fall shook him up..and only suffered a minor scrape or two...........never did like working dogs on rape stubble until it was disced or rotted.......their pads were undamaged but inbetween it was red and raw sometimes...........

i shot barley stubble today and didnt get much,birds were droppin on rape stubble when i packed up so walked out on it to have a look and no way am i shooting it with my springer,she,s a big girl weighing in at 31kg,but i kid you not stalks were over 18 inches and as hard as bamboo,bad enough to walk in but too bad to work a dog in it.

A very good post and a timely reminder about the pit falls when shooting rape stubbles , I must admit I do take my dog on the different stubbles and possibly more by luck than judgement up to now my dog haven't suffered no ill effects .

Well done on three very good bags for a few hours shooting each day and I am glad after your long wait that you have finally got some birds to go after , enjoy it while it lasts.

P S... Hope your cuts and scrapes are healing well and thanks for the heads up.

Its a pity that a good start to harvest shooting has been tampered with an injury. Hope you recover very soon and can be out in the field with the rest of us shortly.

A bit sore this morning, but I will be out shooting later. :)

Luckily I have a spare set of shooting glasses (long range prescription with photochromic lenses), but the frame is broken on the ones from yesterday, so they will go to the Optician.

Not good Cranfield. We need to see a picture.

Another point about rape stubbles, (untopped ones) is that the sharp stalks can puncture car tyres very easily. Longer ones can even go through radiators.

Yep, have suffered the rape stalk through the radiator on a Cortina estate but fortunately have not had a puncture or fallen over yet, when it gets baked in the sun its like others have said, "a bit like bamboo" and at this time of year when we are wearing light clothing I would think its possible for it to puncture your skin in a fall, not nice.

I have shot woodies on rape stubble and they have been completely speared by a single piece of rape stubble . I find the stubble very hard on my shins .

Harnser

When I shoot any stubbles now I wear a pair of water boots , a bit uncomfortable in hot weather but save your shins getting scratched , I also wear them on laid crops as well , this time with my trousers on the outside of my boots , save getting the sharp bits of grain ect in your socks .

When I shoot any stubbles now I wear a pair of water boots , a bit uncomfortable in hot weather but save your shins getting scratched , I also wear them on laid crops as well , this time with my trousers on the outside of my boots , save getting the sharp bits of grain ect in your socks .

Hi John i personally use my Stalking Gaiters when shooting on Rape or Laid crops 👍

Hi John i personally use my Stalking Gaiters when shooting on Rape or Laid crops

Hi Boyd ...... Hope you are keeping well ........ Very good idea that is ..... Some of our rape stubble is very short as the stalks have now all been baled up , then we go to the other end of the scale where on our estate the stalks are two or three feet tall as the combine only cut the bare minimum that hold the pods , so wearing some leg protection is a must , and like we say .... prevention is better than cure

Not good Cranfield. We need to see a picture.

Another point about rape stubbles, (untopped ones) is that the sharp stalks can puncture car tyres very easily. Longer ones can even go through radiators.

Dunt know about rape stalks puncturing tyres ????

But some years ago I had a cut rape plant stalk thru a Subaru radiator - I learn't mi lesson, I traded the Sub for summat with more ground clearance.