bigrob

The wife noticed that Aldi had some 16 oz rump steaks coming into the shop for a fiver each! Their steak is usually very nice so on the day they came in she went down there. She looked around the shop but there were none so she asked one of the blokes that worked there - He said - oh they are all gone - the staff has had most of them - they get first dibs?

Probably taking steak as payment, 2 steaks an hour on the tills there!

Not so much a case of them getting first dibs but if you work somewhere and there's a good deal on and you're not excluded from being a customer can't really blame them from grabbing a few whilst doing their shopping.

Not a fan of Aldi myself though!

The wife noticed that Aldi had some 16 oz rump steaks coming into the shop for a fiver each! Their steak is usually very nice so on the day they came in she went down there. She looked around the shop but there were none so she asked one of the blokes that worked there - He said - oh they are all gone - the staff has had most of them - they get first dibs?

I guess they are allowed to shop in there too

In there today and one woman filled her trolley with just the steaks, maybe she runs a restaurant?

They're not allowed to do that .

My Mrs works at Aldi and they don't allow shops to just grab. They have to preorder the day before .

A local restaurant took all the chips recently and the manager told them they'll have to put them back as they only get a once a day delivery.

By what I have seen in the local branch they work really hard so deserve a better rate.

Blackpowder

It's not as great as you'd think. On average £1 an hour more .

Aldi actually pay their staff quite well, and their steaks are better than any I've had from Tesco's or other big supermarkets. And I'm a big snob that doesn't normally shop at Aldi!

up to £10 an hour i believe.

Become a store manager or better yet an area manager and looking at £45-50k.

Aldi is no lidl though :lol:

I see a local lass who does parties for whatever reason in Aldi most weeks filling her trolley with cases of wine and snacks - never heard any staff member grumble-few months back she emptied the store of Lemon Squash (guessing for a kids party) and walked out unmolested-must have been 40+ bottles.....Cow cos it's the best on the market and only on sale once a year :unhappy:

I've tried to do the Aldi/Lidl shop on a couple of occasions after reading posts on PW.People keep saying it's the same as branded stuff.I haven't found one item that is to be honest.The meat in the Aldi's in Seaham,Hartlepool and Peterlee (Northeast) looks terrible.The chicken looks like you'd catch Salmonella if you just picked it up.

Hi Team Tractor I cant get a quote up from your post. What I think happens in Aldi is that staff have X amounts of shelves to keep stocked. In between they can be called to man checkouts when the store is busy, they do appear to work extremely hard compared to other supermarkets around here.

Blackpowder

Hi Team Tractor I cant get a quote up from your post. What I think happens in Aldi is that staff have X amounts of shelves to keep stocked. In between they can be called to man checkouts when the store is busy, they do appear to work extremely hard compared to other supermarkets around here.

Blackpowder

My Mrs has been there 5 years now and yeah they work them hard as you say.

She's a store assistant which basically means she's on the till and stock.

She covers 10,000 steps a day in 7 hours inc the tills some days .

They get a pallet list or 5 to do between tills.

They do work the staff and most don't last as my Mrs is one of the longest lasting in our store.

What's annoying is they don't get staff discount :/

We still shop there tho :)

Edited by team tractor

I've tried to do the Aldi/Lidl shop on a couple of occasions after reading posts on PW.People keep saying it's the same as branded stuff.I haven't found one item that is to be honest.The meat in the Aldi's in Seaham,Hartlepool and Peterlee (Northeast) looks terrible.The chicken looks like you'd catch Salmonella if you just picked it up.

I find Aldi really good. The wife WAS a complete Sainsburys and brand snob, but not now. The tomato ketchup, baked beans and gravy granules are as good or better than the named brands. ( Some of their products branding are so similar to the branded products, that they must be made by the same people or i'm sure they would sue for copyright??)

The meat is as good as any other supermarket and sourced from UK farms! The same with the fruit/veg (which i think last longer than Sainsburys stuff)

Edit: Shopping bill is just over half that of Sainsbury's

Edited by silver pigeon69

I find Aldi really good. The wife WAS a complete Sainsburys and brand snob, but not now. The tomato ketchup, baked beans and gravy granules are as good or better than the named brands. ( Some of their products branding are so similar to the branded products, that they must be made by the same people or i'm sure they would sue for copyright??)

The meat is as good as any other supermarket and sourced from UK farms! The same with the fruit/veg (which i think last longer than Sainsburys stuff)

Edit: Shopping bill is just over half that of Sainsbury's

Must be my taste buds as everything I bought tasted nothing like branded items.I ended up having to do another shop and throwing out the Aldi/Lidl stuff.So for me there was definatly no saving.

Must be my taste buds as everything I bought tasted nothing like branded items.I ended up having to do another shop and throwing out the Aldi/Lidl stuff.So for me there was definatly no saving.

I dont know about Lidl, i have only been there once and the Sushi wasn't good! The wife thought she could tell a difference in taste, but didn't seem to notice when i lied and said they were the branded items. :whistling: But as you say, everyone has different tastes etc ( sometimes the shopping costs more in Aldi when they have the Trail cams or certain tools etc in!! Quite often i will go in for some shopping and come out with a ladder or something that i obviously desperately need!! :lol: )

By what I have seen in the local branch they work really hard so deserve a better rate.

Blackpowder

I work for one of the big 4. I am at work 13 hours on a Monday, and believe me! I work my *** off as I work alone as the warehouse op of a superstore! Just ME tipping 5 wagons, doing the reverse logistics, the splits, paperwork, racking away, even some days working stock on the shop floor. I get £7.50 an hour!

They will work no harder than myself. But they only get £8.47 an hour iirc.

We were offered a £1 an hour raise recently, but the terms that came with it did not agree with the majority of staff.

They even removed our staff canteens. Now all we have are vending machines full of multipack crisps and chocolate that we pay over the odds for. You get 6 packs on the floor for £1 or 50p for one in the machine! Double discount days they don't allow double discount on certain items either. I would like to see supermarkets discount schemes extend to the forcourts as fuel is essential for many to get to work!

If we sign the new contracts, Paid breaks cease, no time and a half on bank holidays, wanting staff to volunteer to work a Christmas Day, by the time you lose the paid break, and pay the extra income tax on the extra £1 an hour you were virtually no better off.

Working a bank holiday gets me over £100 just for a Monday, plus I get so many of those hours paid in leu. I work all the bank holidays and get an extra 3 days off, plus the extra 50% on pay.

They want to end this, as well as many other workers rights.

Morrisons have already gone to £8:50 an hour. But their staff lost time and a half on Sundays!

Our place laid off many people but a few year ago, when I first started there were 4 staff working the warehouse. Then gradually they got it diwn to one being worked like a dog. We don't even have a seat in there. We're not even allowed to sit doing the paperwork. The shop is being run on a shoestring as all the profits made are syphoned off by the parent company, leaving us with instructions to cut back even further? There are now to be more cutbacks. Some nights we have 5 staff working nights doing replenishment and they expect them to cope? Madness. Even during the day they have trouble. Yet you walk into other stores and staff levels are a lot higher?

Aldi and Lidl stores are back shops compared to Tesco, Asda, Morrisons, Sainsbury's etc. The stores are small and often run by around 6 employees at any one time. Ours for that space is around 2. One on tills and one to stock shelves.

I am not saying they DONT work hard! But hand on heart, i think for their staff levels to shop floor area, they have it easier than some.

I do understand what your saying but its not just the supermarkets.We have never ever had paid breaks ,double time and time and a half went years ago,there are no seats on our shop floor you stand to do any and every job.

The new pension scheme is a pathetic shadow of the old closed scheme and you have no choice u have to join taking more out of your take home wages.

My job went from 8 people a shift to 5 a shift and across the shop people now look after 2 or 3 machines that will send 6 parts at you a minute for your whole time on the end of the conveyor ,u are an extension of the machines no more .The good old double bubble and time off in lieu of bank holidays went over ten years ago .

They call it globilisation i call it a return to victorian working practices ,treat people like dogs and make them fear for their jobs.You cant even speak to our so called H/R dept you have to go through the chain and wait for an answer.

I work for one of the big 4. I am at work 13 hours on a Monday, and believe me! I work my *** off as I work alone as the warehouse op of a superstore! Just ME tipping 5 wagons, doing the reverse logistics, the splits, paperwork, racking away, even some days working stock on the shop floor. I get £7.50 an hour!

They will work no harder than myself. But they only get £8.47 an hour iirc.

We were offered a £1 an hour raise recently, but the terms that came with it did not agree with the majority of staff.

They even removed our staff canteens. Now all we have are vending machines full of multipack crisps and chocolate that we pay over the odds for. You get 6 packs on the floor for £1 or 50p for one in the machine! Double discount days they don't allow double discount on certain items either. I would like to see supermarkets discount schemes extend to the forcourts as fuel is essential for many to get to work!

If we sign the new contracts, Paid breaks cease, no time and a half on bank holidays, wanting staff to volunteer to work a Christmas Day, by the time you lose the paid break, and pay the extra income tax on the extra £1 an hour you were virtually no better off.

Working a bank holiday gets me over £100 just for a Monday, plus I get so many of those hours paid in leu. I work all the bank holidays and get an extra 3 days off, plus the extra 50% on pay.

They want to end this, as well as many other workers rights.

Morrisons have already gone to £8:50 an hour. But their staff lost time and a half on Sundays!

Our place laid off many people but a few year ago, when I first started there were 4 staff working the warehouse. Then gradually they got it diwn to one being worked like a dog. We don't even have a seat in there. We're not even allowed to sit doing the paperwork. The shop is being run on a shoestring as all the profits made are syphoned off by the parent company, leaving us with instructions to cut back even further? There are now to be more cutbacks. Some nights we have 5 staff working nights doing replenishment and they expect them to cope? Madness. Even during the day they have trouble. Yet you walk into other stores and staff levels are a lot higher?

Aldi and Lidl stores are back shops compared to Tesco, Asda, Morrisons, Sainsbury's etc. The stores are small and often run by around 6 employees at any one time. Ours for that space is around 2. One on tills and one to stock shelves.

I am not saying they DONT work hard! But hand on heart, i think for their staff levels to shop floor area, they have it easier than some.

Sainsburys?

Aldi Angus steaks are first class, also they do duck breast which I marinate and smoke, superb. They have a selection of quality crisps as well which are very good value.

Also had a couple of packs of pate last week which were excellent. All good prices and quality. They also have a lot of tat, but you don't have to buy that. Tomorrow morning for three or four litres of vodka to pour over some bulus plums :good: