Safe shot?

Wasabi

So I have a rabbit problem on a field that is as flat as a bowling green. The only spot I can shoot from is in line with two houses 1200 yards away from where I would be. Would you guys consider this a safe shot with a 17hmr? I would be shooting at a slight downward angle from a track next to the field and the rabbits are about 100 yards from the firing point.

I don't know the field or the possible shots, so not going to say its safe or not, but 1200m is a long way away (3/4 mile), assuming u have a back stop/ shooting into the ground even at a low angle.

I haven't got a clue if safe or not and does sound dodgy but might even depend on something like soil, hard,stony or soft? Place a high seat or build some sort of hide to the side to create a better/safer shooting angle.

But even if u change the angle a ricochet can go off at any angle so is it really any safer?

Do u not know anyone experienced u could take out and show the field?

Or they might give u an idea of other ways u could go about getting the rabbits. as already ben said field craft, lamping or using full moon and no lamp. even a long net (althou really a thing of the past nowadys)

If u have a serious problem rabbit drop boxes work very well but do need u to rabbit fence some areas so not a cheap solution but I've seen them clear up some real big numbers of rabbits

People do the maths, you would need 252 ft of elevation to get the bullet to the houses at a final energy of 7ftlbs on arrival if indeed it made it.

As he is shooting a very frangible bullet from a track down to the targets, there is no risk to the houses.

Must admit to being puzzled as to why people think it's unsafe ! If the houses are a true 1200 yards from firing point there is no way that a ricochet would make it that far.

Must admit to being puzzled as to why people think it's unsafe ! If the houses are a true 1200 yards from firing point there is no way that a ricochet would make it that far.

My thoughts as well, the bullet would ground way before the houses and likely disintegrate if it was a V-Max, but regardless of that, any grounding would dramatically reduce its energy and range.

There is the potential issue of a wild shot regardless, which most certainly could reach the houses though.

I can't remember the elevation I needed, but I used my HMR at 600yards at Bisley years back, I have a feeling I was aiming at Saturn though!

Hi chaps

In situations similar to this I just turn it round

Pretend that it's your house with your family in it and there's someone shooting a hmr at you and your property would you be happy

If yes crack on

If No then ?

To be honest you already know the answer or you wouldn't have to ask

Anyway just my thoughts

All the best

Of

Where I shoot on the one farm it's surrounded by the belfry golf course , m42 , 2 other main roads and none are more than 300 yards from the boundary. It's full of safe shots around there.

Can you use a high seat ?

Then again I have another shoot on a chicken farm and it's just not safe on 25 acres.

Edited by team tractor

Getting elevated sounds a better option to me

This is what i would do regardless of the theoretical trajectory. cant you shoot at another angle to eradicate the problem altogether.

His only chance of reaching a house 1200 yards away with a HMR is a wild shot, nothing about being elevated will stop that!

As someone else mentioned, half a side step will shift the house position anyway against a rabbit in HMR range!!!!! :yes::good: