A few days away.

JDog

thumbnail_20171027_105527_resized.jpgSometimes in life one just has to 'Man up' and do something not altogether pleasant. Last week I decided I just had to go and see an old friend of mine who is suffering from Parkinson's so on Tuesday my wife and I set off North.

In order to make the trip just about bearable we had a day and night on the Northumbrian coast where we walked on almost deserted sandy beaches and then I met up with the estimable Kippylawkid in Embleton. We could have chatted for hours about our mutual exploits but he had to cut short our meeting to go off and take football practice. We will meet up again I am sure.

On Wednesday we went to Edinburgh to meet up with my friend of forty five years. It was upsetting to say the least. The man is a shambling relic of his former self. It may be said that this man who has an estate in Angus with grouse, pheasants. roe deer and salmon has everything but now he has nothing. I was secretly in tears after we left. I may not see him again.

We left the following morning for our new destination of the Tweed taking in some of the best grouse moors of the Lammermuirs on the way. There were grouse all over the place. How does one get on to these moors for a cheap late season day at the second best quarry species available to the UK sportsman?

The Tweed looked beautiful but alas no fish were running and we spent time walking along the banks admiring the beauty of the place in the sunshine and counting Cormorants.

20171027_103718_resized.jpg

Edited by JDog

Very poignant JDog i feel for you.

Particularly heart rending regarding this: It may be said that this man who has an estate in Angus with grouse, pheasants. roe deer and salmon has everything but now he has nothing. I was secretly in tears after we left. I may not see him again.

Edited by Whitebridges

One of my dearest old friends, also a bit of a landowner, succumbed to that terrible disease a few years ago, I remember well him dragging himself to my father's funeral, just a short while before he himself died. It must have been an awful struggle for him, but he forced himself because of our friendship. It was the last time I saw him.

It is an absolutely horrid disease, I feel for him and you, seeing your pal in such a state is heartbreaking.

Terrible disease and takes no prisoners but hopefully your visit made his day.

Was down to Peebles for the Sika last week and the river has been very poor for sure.

Just back from 3 days shooting down at Mark Robsons and although not the most closest of families ive starting thinking how many more years have we got to share our shooting.Hes still fit and healthy so making the most of them whiles we can.

HI jd

as other fellow pwers have said you done the right thing by yourself going to see your old friend, Parkinsons disease is a bleddy awful thing.

I personally feel that when we experience sad times like this that it somehow it wells upon our own morbidity and mortality both subconsciously and consciously.

Going to see a friend who is poorly is never an easy thing and I feel from your post that it speaks volumes of the kind and caring individual you are. I am absolutely sure that your good friend will have drawn comfort and sentiment from your visit and will have meant a great amount to him. Sounds to me that your relationship with him as been extremely mutual throughout life.

You are a good man jd.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings as it is not always an easy thing.

By the way the the Tweed look lovely, fished it for grayling a couple of times many years ago, cannot recall the exact location as i was driven by a friend. I recall being stood in the river water up to me chest surrounded by salmon, a memory that i will always remember.

atb

7diaw

We left the following morning for our new destination of the Tweed taking in some of the best grouse moors of the Lammermuirs on the way. There were grouse all over the place. How does one get on to these moors for a cheap late season day at the second best quarry species available to the UK sportsman?

Sorry to read about your friend. I have heard/read some good comments about Doug Virtue, but have no personal experience. Details here http://www.lammermuirshoot.co.uk/