Side by Side Club

AYA117

25 minutes ago, Gunman said:

Dont want to be pedantic but that is not a "motor case " .Motor cases had rounded corners with leather corner pieces , not brass   . Sounds like the gun has been well used and cherished with the amount of work its had done .

I have done similar work to many old guns that far out stripped there financial value for sentimental reasons and it was always a pleasure know that it was being done for love .

Every days a school day! Innit? I’ve always called em “motor cases” so what’s the correct name for these type gunman? 🤔

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 13/04/2020 at 08:19, Old farrier said:

It’s having a good clean 😊👍

BAE7A284-170A-4596-B132-D524BF5701D3.jpeg

F85E29AF-B9FA-4D11-AD40-14AC29C1F2BB.png

FBB482B3-A111-4F90-9446-0480557BF49C.jpeg

8C1B072E-4B51-4DF8-95E9-D9BA6D5EE1F3.jpeg

It maybe the angle of the photo, but is there a touch of cast on to the stock ? Is the owner lefthanded ? Just curious being a southpaw.

On 15/04/2020 at 00:17, enfieldspares said:

This Henry Clarke 12 bore boxlock ejector was bought for my father on his twelfth birthday in 1919. It is his initials on the leather motor case. Between then and now it has been sleeved and over time the fore-end had split near the back of the fore-end iron as many guns of that age eventually do. During his lifetime it had been extended by my father as he got older with a unsightly one inch piece of ebonite. So I had the thing re-stocked with matching fore-end from the same blank. So in one sense it's like "Trigger's broom"! 

IMAG0462.jpg

IMAG0463.jpg

Beautiful. Much better having it restocked than extended. 

This gun is my son's.

Gunmark Viscount 12 bore 70mm.

01010027.JPG

01010028.JPG

These however are mine.

Boss. 12 bore. Made in 1922 for Captain S A Watt of South Irish Horse latterly Sheriff of Rutland. So it still remains a "Leicestershire" owned gun.

01010026.JPG.34f458f4fef70aa933e7afef4a900452.JPG

01010025.JPG

Two French Manufrance Fusil Robust Model 28E easy opening/self opening boxlock ejectors. The uppermost 16 bore, the lowermost 12 bore.

01010030.JPG

A Belgian boxlock non-ejector in 12 bore 2 1/2". A plain simple no frills "knockabout" gun for those nasty days when everything is going to get wet.

01010031.JPG

Edited by enfieldspares

On 15/04/2020 at 09:52, panoma1 said:

Every days a school day! Innit? I’ve always called em “motor cases” so what’s the correct name for these type gunman? 🤔

As far as I know just a "leather gun case " may be " brass bound leather " if I was being posh or trying to impress . 

There were so many case makers that followed the same basic pattern but with minor differences probably down to cost , canvas , canvas and leather , leather , brass cornered , to full on Oak and leather . 

All if fitted out look good but not good to keep guns in for long periods , seen many nice guns ruined from being kept long term in a case that had got damp and for modern travel a hard plastic case will stand up to far more  damage .

31 minutes ago, Gunman said:

As far as I know just a "leather gun case " may be " brass bound leather " if I was being posh or trying to impress . 

There were so many case makers that followed the same basic pattern but with minor differences probably down to cost , canvas , canvas and leather , leather , brass cornered , to full on Oak and leather . 

All if fitted out look good but not good to keep guns in for long periods , seen many nice guns ruined from being kept long term in a case that had got damp and for modern travel a hard plastic case will stand up to far more  damage .

I understand what they are gunman....But if the above are not!........what exactly is a “motor case”?

genuine question !!

13 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

This is what I have always understood to be a proper motor case.

11154385_1.jpg

HTB1YWcricjI8KJjSsppq6xbyVXa4.jpg_350x350.jpg

james-rambler-james-rambler-motor-case-single-p236-388_medium.jpg

leather-gun-case-motor-case-for-pair-988.1-e1568314609678-600x448.jpg

Yep,motor cases. Compact and robust design more suited to ,erm,motors... much prefer these to the normal cases!

Always surprises me how many people who travel long distances to shoot don`t use them .Seen far too many good guns put into damp slips at the end of a day,to do a long drive home.Also seen what damage can be done by the same!

Certainly brass cornered, leather cornered, no corners at all I've always known them in any and all, if single gun cases, as a "motor case". Although Churchill had a VC case which I guess meant "very compact"?

When I have traveled to shoot I've always used the leather case there and back and in the field after arriving a slip. However when I first started shooting it was rare for people to carry such to "slip" their guns between drives. Very rare.

I'll try and posts some pictures of my father shooting at Woburn Abbey to show nary a gunslip in sight.

Edited by enfieldspares

22 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

Haven’t been on the site recently but here is another nickel plated ten bore. This is a William Evans built in 1890 and rebarrelled by GE Lewis in Damascus, probably early in its life. A lot of similarities to earlier post.

F45A6A9A-C0AA-4944-A98C-33DB9183691E.jpeg

3A5790CE-1A29-468D-B6BE-F27FE0B8B4A9.jpeg

Very nice and I believe quite rare 

is it t yours ? 

On 18/04/2020 at 11:32, London Best said:

I have always thought that design was known as a ‘compact motor case’, as opposed to an ordinary flat motor case.

Personally, I always travel my guns in a case if I have one.

The flat gun case is a flat case, no motor,  as they were around before the invention of the motor car 

On 13/04/2020 at 08:55, Old farrier said:

the aitkin  is from about 1868

I was initially puzzled - until I read your first reference AITKEN. 

Others have assumed as did I on first look "ATKIN".  My understanding was that Henry Atkin (who is the 'normal' Atkin that springs to mind) made the first gun in his own name in 1875 (from Atkin, Grant and Langs website history page).

Being Aitken explains the mystery!

2 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

I was initially puzzled - until I read your first reference AITKEN. 

Others have assumed as did I on first look "ATKIN".  My understanding was that Henry Atkin (who is the 'normal' Atkin that springs to mind) made the first gun in his own name in 1875 (from Atkin, Grant and Langs website history page).

Being Aitken explains the mystery!

No worries it’s a bit confusing when the names are similar 

stay safe 

of

New William Powell side by sides (information from their Facebook timeline)

Powells have announced that following the demise of Arietta who had been building their Continental range of s/s since 1992 and current range since 2008, they have two new models from a new supplier being launched 1st May.  The guns will be made by Battista Rizzini in Italy and there will be two models , Viscount and Sovereign.  Both are said to be new designs and designed for 'the future', which of course includes steel proof.

I have no more information, but they have put photos on their Facebook pages.