Pointless Kitchen Knives...

HW95J

7 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

You can stab someone with a spoon if you push it hard enough. 

Unless he attaches a bloody huge rubber ball / knob on the end you could still be stabbed with it. 

You can make a weapon from just about anything , I know this from my rather troubled younger days . Any step in the right direction is a positive step , it certainly won't fix the problem, but it certainly won't make it worse either.

Lots of knives are made without any points dosent affect the use 

all sailors have blunt pointed knives 

along with the cutthroat razor no point but sharp 

would stop stabbings but not knife crime sadly need to get to the root cause of the problem and why people think they have to carry and then use them 

Also need a good deterrent 

All the best 

of 

13 hours ago, mel b3 said:

Now don't jump on me for this ,but , I believe that a lot of fatal stabbings are in domestic situations , and are " spur of the moment" type murders , having to take a knife into the garage to grind a point on to it would certainly give you time to think and calm down.I also don't think that it would stop gang related stabbings , but , it might lessen the numbers a little.

Just because the tip has been rounded doesn't mean you cant stab or slash an intended victim. 

1 hour ago, Green hornet said:

Like that’s going to stop knife crime.

There’s only one way to reduce it and that’s to add a hard prison sentence for anyone carrying one without a lawful reason that might make them think twice.

Sorry to pull you up here, it's not about the possession it's about the use. Should mean life, no repeal, no extras and breaking rocks for 12 hours a day.

Most of us have carried knives all of our lives without harming anyone except ourselves. It used to be a rite of passage. 

On 30/05/2018 at 04:53, mel b3 said:

Now don't jump on me for this ,but , I believe that a lot of fatal stabbings are in domestic situations , and are " spur of the moment" type murders , having to take a knife into the garage to grind a point on to it would certainly give you time to think and calm down.I also don't think that it would stop gang related stabbings , but , it might lessen the numbers a little.

This is exactly my understanding of the issue also. 

Additionally I struggle to recall a time I have needed the tip of one of my kitchen knives that wasn't related to the rest of the knife needing sharpening. 

I'm not at all convinced this is a bad idea. 

31 minutes ago, Wb123 said:

This is exactly my understanding of the issue also. 

Additionally I struggle to recall a time I have needed the tip of one of my kitchen knives that wasn't related to the rest of the knife needing sharpening. 

I'm not at all convinced this is a bad idea. 

Depends on the knife and what your doing. I often use just the tips of 2 of my kitchens knives and never the tips of others. All would be lethal if misused, even the cleaver that has no tip at all rounded or otherwise. 

A nice idea but let's deal with the issues rather than ban things that most people use dailywithout issue .  Cars cause lots of deaths but we haven't restricted them to 15 mph and encase the front in 8 feet of cushion. Both I'm sure would prevent deaths.

7 hours ago, GingerCat said:

Depends on the knife and what your doing. I often use just the tips of 2 of my kitchens knives and never the tips of others. All would be lethal if misused, even the cleaver that has no tip at all rounded or otherwise. 

A nice idea but let's deal with the issues rather than ban things that most people use dailywithout issue .  Cars cause lots of deaths but we haven't restricted them to 15 mph and encase the front in 8 feet of cushion. Both I'm sure would prevent deaths.

True, though that would be massively impractical with huge economic fall out.

If the evidence is that saying 'all kitchen knives over Xcm length sold from 2021 must have rounded ends to be sold in the uk' would reduce stabbings by even a relatively small number, with little to no cost then I am all for it. I remember a design touted a few years back with a small functional point below a rounded end that looked like it should be perfectly workable. 

2 hours ago, Wb123 said:

True, though that would be massively impractical with huge economic fall out.

If the evidence is that saying 'all kitchen knives over Xcm length sold from 2021 must have rounded ends to be sold in the uk' would reduce stabbings by even a relatively small number, with little to no cost then I am all for it. I remember a design touted a few years back with a small functional point below a rounded end that looked like it should be perfectly workable. 

How about we just eat warm soup with rubber spoons. I say warm so we won't burn ourselves and no one could use it as a weapon. The spoons are harmless and the bowls could be made by jobseekers boasting the economy? Nothing impractical about that, the ingredients could be chopped up ready in government approved factories where only highly vetted employees are allowed near the sharp things.  Soup could be drunk on he way to work reducing inefficient meal times further increasing economic output. 

Alternatively we stop giving people who carry these knives soft sentences, perhaps a mandatory 9 months for the first offence, 5 years for the second and life for the third. Couple that with an educational input at schools and much more stop and search with out fear of being labelled racist or whatever ist they decide. 

3 hours ago, Wb123 said:

You have to think it through. Following your logic, what about the millions upon millions of knives already out there? Do we have a knife amnesty ( another !!?? ) where every household has a given amount of time to take their knives to be rounded off? If so, how do we police this? I have a good set of kitchen knives; why should I ( who has no intention of stabbing anyone ) be penalised because of the acts of a minority of idiots? 

Would we see a growth in cottage industry on some of the rougher housing estates where youths could gather to re point their knives? Perhaps they'd farm out the work to clandestine people who would provide the service for a small fee, or perhaps, just like we did as kids, do it on a stone? 

I also have a drawer with about 25 various hunting/shooting knives in it; what about those? 

Again, following your logic; you've applied the same criteria to knives that many who oppose guns apply to the ownership of guns, namely that if reducing the numbers of guns in ownership will save just one life, then it makes sense. There are many out there who think this makes sense. It doesn't, and neither does rounding off pointed knives. 

It's an idiotic suggestion, and as such will more than likely be implemented toot sweet. 

3 hours ago, Lord Geordie said:

I am surprised he didn't go as far as saying we shouldn't be trusted with knives. 

We should all only be allowed to purchase ready cut and prepared fruit, veg, meats etc!

its the only way to be sure :lol: 

Totally agree. See my warm soup post above. Wb123 fully supports it.

12 hours ago, GingerCat said:

Totally agree. See my warm soup post above. Wb123 fully supports it.

Absolutely not, one has to do a thorough cost analysis of it first. If the results suggest it genuinely comes out cost effective then I will fall on my penchant for evidence based policy and begrudgingly support it. I suspect however that society puts a reasonably high value on personal choice to eat warm soup with a fork, but a reasonably low value on pointy knives. 

Has anyone managed to find whatever analysis of the economics behind the knife proposal has been done?

You can't eat soup with a fork. You would however remove a good 5 hours of lunch breaks as people could just drink it on the go. That's a 20 hour week per month of increased output. 

The fork will all be useless in any case as they have points so could cause injury and thusly be filed down to useless stubs. Like a slotted spoon . My meat fork is a serious bit of kit.  I suspect it will be outlawed soon, only allowed to have one with a letter from the gp and a vicar approving it. 

Edited by GingerCat

Part of my day job for 14yrs was detailing scenes of crimes and serious road accidents for presentation at court. I was turned out early one morning to a murder at a small house. A woman had been found dead hidden behind a sofa in a front room. She had very little in the way of injuries but the Doctor/Pathologist attending the scene found two small puncture wounds just below her breast. Having measured up and the scenes of crime photographer finished his job, fingerprint checks done etc etc. Someone said we could do with a cuppa so we retitred to the kitchen and prodeeded to mash a pot.  I stood at one end of the kitchen and was sipping my tea when i saw the murder weapon.  Hanging on one of those magnetic holders on the wall was a selection of kitchen knives and a meat carving fork.   I drew the Scene of Crime mans attention and he carefully had a look and there was still traces of blood.  The PM indicated the husband had plunged this in the chest and put two neat puncture holes in a main artery.   I remember it well because we couldn't find any sugar for the tea.

Edited by Walker570

When I was a youngun Boys Scouts walked around with a folding Jack knife on one side of their belt, and a Sheath knife on the other. But then, as a nipper I used to shoot a .22 lr at the fairground shooting gallery. Something has gone seriously wrong.

Just now, la bala said:

When I was a youngun Boys Scouts walked around with a folding Jack knife on one side of their belt, and a Sheath knife on the other. But then, as a nipper I used to shoot a .22 lr at the fairground shooting gallery. Something has gone seriously wrong.

Absolutely, but in those days the local Bobby put the fear of god up you.  I remember those shooting galleries. My old BSA air rifle had a slightly bent barrel so I was used to compensating and my Grandfather was a good teacher. I would take one shot with one of those bent barreled fair Ground rifles and knew exactly where it was printing. Got thrown off the stand numerous times as the same Fair would visit each local village within cycling distance so they recognised me I think.  Mum got a bit fed up with more cheap glass vases and things anyway.:lol: